LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Easiest Shorties

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easiest Shorties

I was going to install my new Magnaflow Y pipe and Cat today. I broke 2 studs on both sides. I got everything off and I'm planning to hit the studs with a small torch in the morning to see if I can get the studs out with some vice grips. If I can't I'll be removing the manifolds so if that happens I might as well put some shorties on with the new Y pipe and cat. What headers fit the best and don't have any clearance issues. I read on here that the BBK's don't fit well. I already have the new Y pipe and cat but I need headers that bolt directly to the stock Y pipe as the new one is like stock but with manderal bends. I look forward to your help. My car is a 1995 6mt firebird formula.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have hooker shorties and ory and they fit great.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive had AS&M's and Macs currently - both went in easily
Old 10-13-2012, 09:03 PM

I put BBK's on my 94 TA back when I knew nothing about working on cars and they went on very easy, fit great, and picked up nicely at the track.

A few years later I put AS&M headers on my 93 TA. They did not fit at all without modification due to being built incorrectly, and the customer service I got from them was terrible. I'm sure it was a rare occurance that they didn't fit properly, but the customer service is what really turned me off to them.

We put Pacesetter shorties on my brother's 94 Z28. Not bad fitment, but the Y-pipe was a bit of a pain.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by whytryz28
I have hooker shorties and ory and they fit great.
ory?

So the hooker shorties work well huh? As long as they fit well and will work with the factory Y pipe. Did the gaskets and hardware work well? I don't want to have to go back in there for a long time. Should I upgrade the gasket or hardware?
Old 10-13-2012, 09:58 PM
Teching In

So if anybody has a set you want to sell let me know.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ShaggyLT1
ory?

So the hooker shorties work well huh? As long as they fit well and will work with the factory Y pipe. Did the gaskets and hardware work well? I don't want to have to go back in there for a long time. Should I upgrade the gasket or hardware?

ORY= off-road y-pipe

Mine came with their y-pipe so im not sure what works with the factory pipe. Everything else was a good fit, I can get them out in about an hour.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
I put BBK's on my 94 TA back when I knew nothing about working on cars and they went on very easy, fit great, and picked up nicely at the track.

A few years later I put AS&M headers on my 93 TA. They did not fit at all without modification due to being built incorrectly, and the customer service I got from them was terrible. I'm sure it was a rare occurance that they didn't fit properly, but the customer service is what really turned me off to them.

We put Pacesetter shorties on my brother's 94 Z28. Not bad fitment, but the Y-pipe was a bit of a pain.
When you put in your BBK's did you use the factory Y pipe or theirs? I really need shorties that will bolt right up to the factory exhaust.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:57 PM
12 Second Club

ory?

Headers aren't really a set it and forget it thing. You have to keep snugging up the header to head bolts till they take a set and they are hard on spark plug wires. If you don't want to mess with that maybe fixing the stock manifolds is best. Shorties will get you 10-15 hp though.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Launching!

So if anybody has a set you want to sell let me know.
I have some BBK shorties for sale in the classifieds. PM me if your interested.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:32 PM
Launching!

I had the bbk shorties on my 97 z28 and they fit well with the factory y-pipe. It's a pain in the *** to get to some of the header bolts and spark plugs though.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:17 AM

When you put in your BBK's did you use the factory Y pipe or theirs? I really need shorties that will bolt right up to the factory exhaust.
I used the BBK Y-pipe that came with the headers.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KyleW707
I had the bbk shorties on my 97 z28 and they fit well with the factory y-pipe. It's a pain in the *** to get to some of the header bolts and spark plugs though.
Cool. This is what I was looking for. I just bought the Magnaflow high flow cat and Y pipe that bolts directly to the factory manifolds. So the BBK shorties should be what I need. I'm trying to get the broken studs out of my manifolds without having to remove them from the car. If I have to remove them then I'm just gonna put shorties in thier place.

Quick Reply: Easiest Shorties