General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

ls1's

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1's

Ls1's are fading away dying out they used to be the most feared. The car you don't want to run into. With all the new muscle cars out people are forgetting....... its depressing. Anyone else feel this way
Old 10-14-2012, 10:55 PM
Staging Lane

... Do you not see the **** ton of swaps people do into their cars with LS1's? Lol They're everywhere just about.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:39 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by clean98z-28
Anyone else feel this way
Not me.

A stock LS1 is still a "quick" car. With bolt-ons, they are as fast as a stock 5th gen, 5.0 or any other similar category car. As far as major mods, they have as much potential as the newer muscle cars.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LT1TransAm
... Do you not see the **** ton of swaps people do into their cars with LS1's? Lol They're everywhere just about.
Yeah and they are old news wait till these new engines become more available. Thanks for being a dick about it.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ls1's are fading away dying out they used to be the most feared. The car you don't want to run into. With all the new muscle cars out people are forgetting....... its depressing. Anyone else feel this way
I think ur on ur own.
i give pullied and bolt on cobras a hard time from a dig, dissapointed quite a few new bolt ons 5.0s. New camaro ss's have seen a what a 4th gen ss spoiler looks like.
Typical bolt on srt hemi cars have heard what a 7000rpm 450rw ls1 scream sounds like.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

Seems all I read about is people swapping the ls1 for something bigger or someone wanting a new car.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think you're on your own with this one. Still very desirable engines/cars.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:12 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They're only forgotten and less feared by the uneducated. Real car people appreciate and fear these cars for what they are, in both stock and modified form. But not everyone thinks like us. The selling points to many people are a lot of power and a lot of creature comforts right out of the box. Who cares if it weighs a metric **** ton, as long as it has 4XX horsepower and will wipe your *** for you, right? New=popular. Just the way things work, unfortunately. The LS1 is far from dead though. It'll have a large following for quite some time, and rightfully so.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can see where your coming from with ls1's, being it's becoming the baby of the newer ls engines. But they still have insane potential. But the ls platform as a whole is not dying or fading. You can't stop change however.

But it's common sense when you can build an ls3 Damn near as cheap as you can an ls1, and have more power and displacement. This is the same reason you don't see hardly as many people building 2v 4.6's anymore.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:15 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Yeah and they are old news wait till these new engines become more available.
There are people still using/building Gen 1 SBCs. Those have been old news for 40+ years. Just because something isn't the latest thing doesn't mean it is dead or will disappear entirely.

Seems all I read about is people swapping the ls1 for something bigger or someone wanting a new car.
Most people don't commit to a single car forever; they drive it until it gets old and worn, then they move on to something else. The majority of people like new trendy gadgets, features and styling; I personally couldn't care less about gadgets, and if I ever liked the styling of something then I continue to like it no matter how "dated" it may look to others, but I am in the minority.

It takes a true model-specific enthusiast to stick with the same type of car for decades. It's normal for most of the original owners/enthusiasts of a certain era of car to eventually move on.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to remember that the 2002 cars are 11 years old now - which means the majority of them that were driven and not garage queen'd have decently high mileage on them. The LS1/T-56 is a solid combo, but I think everyone knows the car the went in wasn't exactly built well. I would imagine the majority of people who owned an LS1 car and bought a new Camaro, or Mustang, or Challenger did it because their f-body was old and worn-out from age.

My old creaky LS1 car only makes 360rwhp, but I still have fun driving the hell out of it, even if it can't easily outrun a new Mustang or Camaro. If I was worried about being faster than anything else on the street, I'd own a bike.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

The LS1 was like the apple on the tree in the garden of Eden. One bite and your ruined for life. Now you got to work harded so you can live and Mod at the same time. I'm sure my sewing machine will not be forgotten any time soon.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

I would say your correct to a certain degree, not the 4th Gen in general but the actual "LS1". With all the various LS engines out there today it's a no-brainer to go with a newer mill considering the bang for the buck factor of what it takes to get into a 6L+ engine and having rectangular port heads etc. Now i know what other little things it takes especially if swapping in a GenIV but my opinion with all that's out there today that's why you see people swapping. With my 2 cars in sig, I would build up the LS2 shortblock that I have and swap that in before I'd head n cam the LS1 that's in it. It's a better bang for the buck if you add it up. So id say the old "LS1" is somewhat fading out, but it's still a damn good engine and so is the 4th gen platform for the average guy. Also remember the LS1 was only in a handful of vehicles from 97-04, now start looking what's all out there and you can buy various LS pullouts alot cheaper than a LS1. Now my brother bought a brand new BOSS last year he ran a best of 12.78 at 112, now that's right inline with what my 99 SS 6spd bolt on car runs for a 1/4 of the price. It's a nice car no doubt but it just doesn't have the feel I like of a 4th Gen. Plus remember most of the new muscle cars are damn near 400-500lbs heavier than a 4th Gen. Sorry for the long post but that's my 2 cents.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

i agree. i longer have an LS1 in my SS.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not trying to be cocky, its fun when people underestimate your car.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Orange Juice
Not trying to be cocky, its fun when people underestimate your car.
this is so true. a new 5.0 tried me and went home disappointed.

Last edited by ULTIMATEORANGESS; 10-15-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll admit, I very well may never have an LS1 as I may just jump ahead a bit and drop in an LS3 instead.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its a more cost effectivr to build a 6.0 iron block based build than a 5.7 Ls1, if power you seek. But a good ole stock ls1 longblock with cam,bolt ons, tune is capable of 430-450rw.
im holding to a real ls1, got one in my ss now. had 500rw 6.0 in there before.
It makes plenty for a street car, whats in there now.
I drive it once or twice a week now. But it gets it done, when it has to
Old 10-15-2012, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

People still seem to build LS1's, but it's just that nowadays there are a lot of other LS motors that are out for people to play with too. Even stock, LS1 F-Bodies are still pretty respectable performers.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:51 AM
Staging Lane

I don't think the LS1s are being forgotten. The LS engine program simply evolved. When the '98 F-Bodies hit the streets back in the day, they were the ****. I still have a stack of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords magazines, in which the editors were awed by the performance of the stock LS1s, and distraught over how far behind the new Mustangs were. I, myself had just bought an '86 5.0 GT in the late '90s, and called one of the leading Mustang aftermarket companies of the time, to ask for a H/C/I combo that would keep me ahead of those new LS1s. I was told that "Those things are strong." And I was told that if I wanted a daily driver 302 with good street manners that will keep up with modded N/A LS1s, I'd better go FI, in addition to H/C/I. I did just that, and Procharged it, and I gave most of them fits, but there was no doubt I was going to own one eventually.
I have GM High Tech mags which include articles whining over the fact that, stock for stock, the 5th Gens are only "marginally quicker" than the 4th Gens, and that the 8 years that spanned between the last 4th Gen and the first 5th Gen should have resulted in a wider performance gap. On the street, you knew you had a pretty quick car if you could beat mild LS1s.
They were a performance measuring stick back then, and, to me, that doesn't appear to have changed. At least judging by the number of Hemis and new 5.0s that routinely throw revs at me. The newer and larger displacement LS motors have raised the performance bar, but a solid H/C/I LS1 is still a force on the street. It's reputation is secure.

Quick Reply: ls1's