Sponsored by:

Dipstick problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 05:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dipstick problems

Hi all,

The way I bent my dipstick tube on my 5.3 seems to wipe my stick clear when I check my oil. I can basically figure it out from the little that is left but I'd prefer it be easier to check for obvious reasons. I have an Autokraft pan and they recommend using an f-body dipstick. I'm wondering if there is much of a length difference between the f-body and truck dipsticks? I've already called the dealership and its about $30 for an f-body stick and tube, does anyone have an extra one they are willing to part with? Are lokar ones any better than stock? I prefer a stock look but didn't like how the truck stick stuck up so far which is why I bent it down (which obviously backfired on me). Just looking for opinions and experiences.

Thanks
Old 10-16-2012, 05:35 PM
8 Second Club

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

i used the ctsv one and all i had to do was cut the bracket off and weld it to the other side and it fit PERFECTLY.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

The title made me lol
Old 10-17-2012, 06:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bigdog7373
The title made me lol
HA! Get your mind out of the gutter lol. Didn't even think about the dirty side of the title when I was writing it.

Not much insight on F and truck sticks so I guess I'll just buy a new one from the dealer since they are the same price as all the websites but don't charge shipping.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

If you check my build thread, I compared the F-body dipstick to the Hummer H3 dipstick using an Autokraft pan on an LS1. I am not sure exactly where it is in the build thread (linked in my signature), but you can find it in there.

Troy
Old 10-17-2012, 07:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

F body pan and dipstick wise, the tube itself is about 24" end to end, following the bends. 23" straight end to end. Not many have a whole lot of good things to say about the Lokar stick, considering the price of it. 30.00 bucks new beats the hell out of 70.00ish? Really not sure on the oil stick price. Hope this helps.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Lokar dipstick on my 700r4 ( i realize its not the engine oil) and it is not the same as the stock dipstick. I'm guessing it would be just as inacurate on the engine as the trans!
Old 10-18-2012, 05:07 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the link 71fakes I'll check it out.

99vette you confirmed my suspicions that I'd be better off not getting a Lokar, thank you.

2nd gen you are correct that its better to save money on these things, coupled with 99vettes review of Lokar products it looks like I'll be taking a trip to the parts parts counter at my friendly local GM dealership.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

he he, he has problems with his dipstick...

Corvette version in mine, no mods (you can see the handle sticking out above the idler pulley, top right in pic)
Old 10-18-2012, 05:48 PM
TECH Regular

https://ls1tech.com/forums/15980781-post69.html

The above link is where 71 fakes compared the dipsticks of an F-body and a H3 using the Champ/Autokraft oil pan. Looks like I'll be using the H3 dipstick. I looked online at the various GM distribution websites and although the diagram of the H3 and the V8 Canyon/Colorado look different, doing a quick google search found that they are both the same (or at least look that way when looking at the engine bay).

These H3 dipsticks are also mounted on the driver side of the engine. Since I need a tube and stick I'm wondering how the H3 one works on the passenger side.

71Fakes: did you use the H3 tube and stick? can you take a pic of it installed?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Dipstick problems