LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

FAST102 LSXr and Nick Williams 102mm Throttle Body Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 03:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FAST102 LSXr and Nick Williams 102mm Throttle Body Install

So, I was pulling nearly a pound of vacuum at WOT and I had already ported my stock throttle body to the point of worthlessness. In fact, it started setting codes at idle and controllability was completely shot... lesson learned on how much and where to port a throttle body for a good idle. Anyway, I looked at LS2/3 throttle bodies and larger intake necks, but I started adding things up and it was getting close a FAST102. I then scored a Nick Williams 102mm throttle body for cheap, and the race was on. Several feet of tubing, a new coupler, a power steering pump, some catch cans, and a pack of JB weld later I had the intake mounted up.

The power steering pump is the biggest obstacle to the swap, so I had to notch the FAST 102 and move the power steering pump inlet to make clearance. I didn't actually take much area from the plenum and didn't have to touch the runner for cylinder 7 (2 in our cars) except for a little clearancing on the outside. I'm not sure how the guts of the aluminum-cased power steering pump will handle the excess heat from welding, so I started with JB Weld. The JB Weld is holding fine, but I plan to modify the original pump now that I made the replacement fit and do a better job of fixturing the inlet.

One thing that really surprised me was how much port matching I had to do to get the manifolds outlets to line up with the runners on the heads. I don't know how much is due to the reverse mounting, but that isn't supposed to make a difference (the heads themselves are switchable).

The car is nice and snappy with the new parts, and runs the new throttle body and everything else with no codes. The MAF tune for the 2008 Z06 formed a reasonable starting point for tuning and has the correct IAT tables.

Here's the job nearly done:
Name:  P1010627.jpg
Views: 4555
Size:  140.3 KB

The stock and NW102 throttle bodies:
Name:  P1010620.jpg
Views: 6358
Size:  58.0 KB

I got tricky and left the harness compatable with both throttle bodies:
Name:  P1010621.jpg
Views: 3833
Size:  144.2 KB

When I went to the LS3 valley cover during my head swap and DOD delete, I accidently cut the OPSU bung at 30* instead of 15*, so I had a 60* angle which conveniently left room for the throttle neck.
Name:  P1010614.jpg
Views: 3589
Size:  142.0 KB

Even so, I had to grind a good bit of the material in the throttle neck for clearance, so I backed it with a steel plate held on with JB Weld:
Name:  P1010616.jpg
Views: 3597
Size:  130.2 KB

This is a test fit of the trouble area:
Name:  P1010619.jpg
Views: 3486
Size:  106.7 KB

I even had to clearance the water pump manifold a little bit:
Name:  P1010615.jpg
Views: 3602
Size:  100.5 KB

I was careful and found that the cylinder 7/2 runner didn't have to be modified other than removing the part that would screw into the support I removed. I'm attaching on my steel patch in this shot:
Name:  P1010617.jpg
Views: 3427
Size:  113.9 KB

The power steering resevoir is just sitting there, and it's higher than it was, but everything did fit (including the PCV tube from the LS3 valley cover that I've been using since the head swap):
Name:  P1010625.jpg
Views: 4115
Size:  168.2 KB

I used 4" aluminum piping (96mm ID) for inlet tract. I used an LS7 style slot MAF and a saxonpc.com airflow straightener in the pipe:
Name:  P1010622.jpg
Views: 3799
Size:  142.4 KB

At the RPM's I spin the engine (plus the extra power) I get a lot of oil blow-by, so a pair of ebay cheapie catch cans got thrown into service:
Name:  P1010624.jpg
Views: 3677
Size:  120.7 KB

And here is it mostly wrapped up. I'll shoot a final photo sometime soon:
Name:  P1010626.jpg
Views: 3616
Size:  142.8 KB
Old 10-26-2012, 03:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

holy ****!!!!!
I know its to late now but have you thought about using a toyota mr2 electric power steering pump? and btw how much did the MAF end up running? im assumig the z06 maf would be closest to our hi/lo maf table setup so it would be a copy paste affair and then maf tune from there right?

Last edited by 91parkave; 10-26-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations man. that looks ******* sick.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:39 PM
12 Second Club

So here I am sitting with my girlfriend at red Robin waiting for food. She is pissed cause I am glued to my phone...
Holy mother of God Nate!!
Old 10-26-2012, 09:22 PM
Launching!

Hoooolllyyyy shiz. Nice job, can't wait to hear it run. Is hood clearance an issue ?? Doesn't look like it from the pics
Old 10-26-2012, 09:25 PM
12 Second Club

It's purdy!
Old 10-26-2012, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice. I saw the new black fast lsx 92 manifold in a catalog the other day.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thumbs up

Wow never thought I would see this,can't wait to see the results! Congrats
Old 10-27-2012, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

didnt know you were still going with the gxp, that thing has to rip for being an ls4
Old 10-28-2012, 01:25 AM
On The Tree

Damn... That looks good.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What a thing of beauty! Do you hear angels sing when you pop your hood?
Old 10-29-2012, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How close is the bottom of the throttle body to the header crossover pipe? How much gap between the two?
Old 10-29-2012, 10:29 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks guys! I still have to improve the way a couple things are mounted, and I plan to swap in a MIG'd power steering pump. I also can't get the rear header collector to downpipe connection to properly seal anymore, so I need to get in there and weld it up or something.

Originally Posted by higsy
Hoooolllyyyy shiz. Nice job, can't wait to hear it run. Is hood clearance an issue ?? Doesn't look like it from the pics
There's plenty of hood clearance. The FAST is barely taller than the LS6 at its highest point, and the fuel rail is basically a stock LS1/6 from a height standpoint. Plus, I'm not using the engine cover.

Originally Posted by neilownz
Nice. I saw the new black fast lsx 92 manifold in a catalog the other day.
I think the 78/90/92 manifolds are basically the same runner design, but the 102 is revised for a bit more power. Plus, the 102 is actually cheaper than the 92 from what I saw.

Originally Posted by supercatxr7
How close is the bottom of the throttle body to the header crossover pipe? How much gap between the two?
Well, my header crossover is custom to clear the intake neck... the DT headers run higher than the stock manifolds. But, the pinch point is under the silicone coupler and I have over an inch of clearance between the bulge in the coupler and the header wrap.

Originally Posted by Brian396
What a thing of beauty! Do you hear angels sing when you pop your hood?
Haha, my exhaust leak isn't that bad...
Old 10-29-2012, 11:40 AM
12 Second Club

Keep up the good work. It has been a long time since I have gotten excited about a build. I can't wait for some dyno/track times. MPH will be a true indication of HP since I am sure you need a looser converter and more gear.

I have pondered the thought of using a LSXRT 102mm intake with a modified hood since Brian396 was trying to adapt a truck manifold to his GXP. The power steering pump has me a little concerned though.... I really wish GM used an electric pump!

Here is some good reading material:
http://www.enginelabs.com/engine/tec...ake-manifolds/

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/ca...ke-75465.xhtml

A few questions for you. Please examine the pictures

Is this bulge on the LSXRT much different then the LSXR?
LSXR
Name:  lsxrrear.jpg
Views: 3213
Size:  29.9 KB
Name:  2-29FASTci-12018.jpg
Views: 3146
Size:  76.5 KB

LSXRT
Name:  2-29FASTci-12014.jpg
Views: 3199
Size:  68.2 KB

I would have to extend the wiring harness, and cut the hood, so I think I will stick with the LS6 intake and spray away. HMM...........

Last edited by DavidGXP; 10-29-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:06 PM
Launching!

I have to agree David, I haven't been this excited since the Dt headers were first being discussed. Not many mods for this car but this one has got me thinking again. Damn u.I don't want to have to spend more money. My gxp is laid up till I get my TEP
Anyway great looking build. When u get it finished are you going to post any videos ? What are your expectations ?
Old 10-30-2012, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 199 Likes on 99 Posts

Looks great! curious as to how much it improves the upper RPM power.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:42 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

@davidgxp GM did use electric pumps the g6's have them as well as the new camaros and other late model gm cars do. The easiest ive seen so far is to use the toyota mr2. if you search on ls1 tech you can find some of the retrofits and in our case i tink that will free up most of the room you will need to mount any intake manifold
Old 10-31-2012, 05:26 PM
TECH Regular

Well, the power steering pump is iron, not aluminum. It always helps to check with a magnet before you get all worried about aluminum and how quickly it dissapates heat.

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
Keep up the good work. It has been a long time since I have gotten excited about a build. I can't wait for some dyno/track times. MPH will be a true indication of HP since I am sure you need a looser converter and more gear.

I have pondered the thought of using a LSXRT 102mm intake with a modified hood since Brian396 was trying to adapt a truck manifold to his GXP. The power steering pump has me a little concerned though.... I really wish GM used an electric pump!

I would have to extend the wiring harness, and cut the hood, so I think I will stick with the LS6 intake and spray away. HMM...........
It's hard to say looking at the pictures, but it does appear to be similar. You can always make more room behind the manifold, but the critical part is clearing the pump. If you have parts laying around, you can measure on the LS6 manifold. If you look at your setup now, it just clears the pump. I wouldn't cut the hood for whatever you gain with an LSXrt over and LSXr, but go crazy with it if you want.

Originally Posted by higsy
I have to agree David, I haven't been this excited since the Dt headers were first being discussed. Not many mods for this car but this one has got me thinking again. Damn u.I don't want to have to spend more money. My gxp is laid up till I get my TEP
Anyway great looking build. When u get it finished are you going to post any videos ? What are your expectations ?
I'll get videos posted and all of the rest. I'm hoping that Milan is actually open the last weekend so I can run this year. I'm busy this weekend and I still have some odds and ends to tie up before I consider the car track ready. The exhaust leak needs to be cleared up before I can truly trust my O2 sensors. I ran 13.1 with stock heads, lifters and the LS6 intake manifold, so breaking into the 12s on street tires seems reasonable.

Originally Posted by fieroguru
Looks great! curious as to how much it improves the upper RPM power.
I think it helped everywhere, really. The runner length is still tuned for torque, but the extra plenum volume, larger throttle body, and port matching helps the top end. I won't even speculate on seat of the pants, because I drive my E350 cargo van when the car is down and everything feels fast after that.

Just an FYI for you, but I found evidence of float and PTV contact in all of the cylinders with DOD lifters. I haven't checked on your build thread in forever, but did you get that Fiero wrapped up yet?

Originally Posted by 91parkave
@davidgxp GM did use electric pumps the g6's have them as well as the new camaros and other late model gm cars do. The easiest ive seen so far is to use the toyota mr2. if you search on ls1 tech you can find some of the retrofits and in our case i tink that will free up most of the room you will need to mount any intake manifold
Almost everything late model has electric power steering, but that's different than an electric pump for hydraulic power steering. Electric power steering uses an electric motor to provide assist, and saves gas because it's only a load when turning. However you look at it though, an electric power steering pump could be located anywhere to make room for a centrifugal supercharger.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:07 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the updates!
Old 11-02-2012, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 199 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by nmp0098
Just an FYI for you, but I found evidence of float and PTV contact in all of the cylinders with DOD lifters. I haven't checked on your build thread in forever, but did you get that Fiero wrapped up yet?
The Fiero is getting closer every day (now that I am actually back working on it). Have most of the wiring done, just need one last test fit to finish the harness and fuel/coolant plumbing, then it will be just the finishing touches.

Thanks for the heads up on the PTV issue. Guess I will take it easy and set the rev limiter to 6500 to start with, but depending on where the cam peaks with its current installed position, I might just have to bump it up.

Never have pulled the heads of an LS engine, so not sure if I could run a rev kit (springs between the bottom of the head and the outer housing of the lifter) to help keep them under control without further loading the internals of the lifter.

Quick Reply: FAST102 LSXr and Nick Williams 102mm Throttle Body Install