LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

no fire

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 02:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no fire

I have a 95 Z 28 lt1 6 speed I was driving and my RPM's started fluttering from 1 to 3 grand and backfiring the car with Idol but it ran really frost spec far I turn the car off and let it sit for a minute and then started my car back and it ran fine and got me home it did start a flutter again at about 50 miles an hour and then smoothed out early that morning I went out and started the car which is started fine I made it down the street and it died now the car has no fire will not start I did pull a coil and have it tested for continuity everything came out fine the same as a brand new coil any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated I'm feeling really lonely and depressed without my car please help ! thanks and I hope to hear something back soon
Old 10-27-2012, 07:45 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Possible fuel pump. Has it ever been changed? If so, was the fuel pump bucket reused? It's possible the pump is bad and was able to cool off enough to run for a few minutes before heating up and causing problems. Two things you can do is either/or buy a fuel pressure gauge and test the fuel pressure. The other is to get some starter fluid and see if it will fire by spraying some into the throttle body while the engine is being turned over.
You can reference the "how to" from www.shbox.com on how to locate the Schraeder valve and testing fuel pressure as well as slew of other how to's.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:01 AM

the car is getting gas I check the fuel pressure there is no fire to the plugs I've also pulled the coil and check the coil already and the the continuity is the exact same as a brand new 1 so I pulled a spark plug and hooked a spark plug tester to it there is no fire getting to the spark plug whatsoever the car will turn over fine and everytime I turn it over it does buildup fuel pressure I'm not sure what this could be any ideas or if you need me to try anything else to the car to troubleshoot I will be glad please help
Old 10-27-2012, 10:31 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Did you check fuel pressure with a gauge? If it's not a fuel pump then I don't think it's the opti since once that goes it doesn't come back. At first I was thinking it was a loose rotor, but then you say it ran fine after sitting for awhile so... Dunno.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#opti_test
Old 10-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

sounds like possible ignition module gone bad.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

sorry was thinking tpi car, might be bad optispark since they are known to fail
Old 10-28-2012, 06:21 PM

All the characteristics of the ICM going bad, that's cheap and where I would start. Next check the opti.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:23 AM

Default no fire

Thanks guys haven't had a chance to work on her yet really bust at work I will soon and will check icm then opti I really appriciate the feed back as soon as she is running again I will update once again much appreciated this forum is awsome everyone has helped so much keep ur fingers crossed gotta get her goin and painted for up and coming power tour this coming year starts in grand prarie can't wait ! Tty soon
Old 10-31-2012, 09:15 AM
TECH Addict

Check coil and ICM before going to opti
Old 10-31-2012, 09:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bungy74
sorry was thinking tpi car, might be bad optispark since they are known to fail
No we have one, Ignition control Module Or ICM
Old 11-03-2012, 04:25 PM

Talking update

thank you for everyone's advice and I appreciate everybody's help a problem with my 95 Camaro Z 28 was the ignition control modual I really appreciate everyone's input on this and help a lot I'm so happy it was not something major now I am ready to put the new sunset orange paint on her !!!! I've already done the 2002 conversion on the front and and have the SS Wing she is sure going to be beautiful and her new orange dress once again thanks!

Quick Reply: no fire