Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 06:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what to do?

First of all, I bought my first ls motor to do a swap into my crew cab dually. It's an 6.0l that came out of a 2005 Chevy 2500hd. Bad thing about it is that the guy told me oil pump went out so he pulled it out. It does turn but it's kinda hard even with the plugs out. I haven't talked to my machine guy yet but I know he'll look thru it and give me honest work. I'm not looking for mods even though when you get to read on these motors mods are very tempting. I have a 400 transmission in my truck so I might keep that as I didn't get tranny with it.

What do you guys suggest? Should I get some mods to beef it up a bit, should I keep my 400 tranny or go with a 4l80, should I even change it to dbc since I didn't get the pedal either or just buy the pedal.

I guess I have lots of researching to do but I want opinions to guide me in the right direction.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If the engine turns out not to be a paper weight I would at least do a melling oil pump, ls2 timing chain, ls7 lifters, all bearings (rods, main, cam,) get the heads checked and milled a little to clean them up and bump the compression a bit.

Do you know if this engine is a LQ4 or a LQ9 ?
What is your budget and power goal for this engine ?
Old 11-03-2012, 07:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My opinion if you not lookin to do any mods .
Trash that motor and buy a known good one ..they go for $600 to $1200 for a complete 6.0L up my way depending on mileage ...
I'm sure others may have a different opinion
Old 11-04-2012, 12:48 AM
Teching In

Honestly I was just looking to put a stock motor in my dually that's y I bought what I did to rebuild it and make it new basically. I do have everything for it making it a complete motor so for what I paid for it I think it's good but thats done with.

I'm hoping it's a lq9 but I haven't opened it yet. Why do you ask CONAN?
Old 11-04-2012, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by yellowGT
Honestly I was just looking to put a stock motor in my dually that's y I bought what I did to rebuild it and make it new basically. I do have everything for it making it a complete motor so for what I paid for it I think it's good but thats done with.

I'm hoping it's a lq9 but I haven't opened it yet. Why do you ask CONAN?
The LQ4 has a dished piston 9.5:1 compression ratio. The LQ9 has a flat top piston 10:1 compression. So if you end up having a LQ4 and need to bore it out to clean up the cylinders I would buy flat tops to get the compression up for the truck duty this engine is going to have. All the other parts I listed above are just basic GM parts for your rebuild. The ls2 chain is thicker than the stock chain you have and will fit your cam/crank gears ($60) The ls7 lifters are the replacement lifters for all "LS" motors now. The meling oil pump is a great pump, I see 60psi of oil pressure @ hot idle and 75psi at WOT.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Conan....now that is some great information to have.

Where could I find what motors came out what years? Because it's confusing after you read so much about them just because there's ls1, ls2, ls6, etc
Old 11-05-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm not sure how to tell from the out side with out having the vin # from the car it came out of. Best way would be to pull a head and have a look. The block and heads are the same from lq4 to lq9.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by conan
The LQ4 has a dished piston 9.5:1 compression ratio. The LQ9 has a flat top piston 10:1 compression. So if you end up having a LQ4 and need to bore it out to clean up the cylinders I would buy flat tops to get the compression up for the truck duty this engine is going to have. All the other parts I listed above are just basic GM parts for your rebuild. The ls2 chain is thicker than the stock chain you have and will fit your cam/crank gears ($60) The ls7 lifters are the replacement lifters for all "LS" motors now. The meling oil pump is a great pump, I see 60psi of oil pressure @ hot idle and 75psi at WOT.
9 times out of 10, it's gonna be an lq4. The lq9 only came in SS silverados, escalades and a few other more high end models. The majority of 2500's had the lq4.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bww3588
9 times out of 10, it's gonna be an lq4. The lq9 only came in SS silverados, escalades and a few other more high end models. The majority of 2500's had the lq4.
Well by the vin number it shows to be a lq4...that sucks

Quick Reply: what to do?