Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

learning about F-bodies

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default learning about F-bodies

i've been into these cars since i was 12 but i really never knew anything too technical about them besides some basic things.

how exactly can i learn some more about these cars? i was supposed to take an auto program at my school but i never got put in for some reason. i am however going to take classes at college in a year. (im currently 17)

but for now i really just want to learn more essentials about cars and ls1s/lt1s etc. any tips would be appreciated thanks
Old 10-22-2012, 03:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...anna-fast.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ewbie-faq.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...questions.html

Welcome to LS1Tech
If anything more specific is not covered in those stickies please ask, but they are pretty comprehensive
Old 10-22-2012, 03:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for me the best way to learn is by doing... i started small by freshening up a 5.0 from a fox, then i built a 350, built a high rpm 327 and now im going to start a build on my LS1... if you know someone who knows what they are doing then get their help.. but doing somthing is the best way to understand
Old 10-22-2012, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree, save up and do a cam install yourself when your ready. I had never done H/C and did everything on my own with the help of ls1howto and this site. Whole build came out great...no problems with the exception of needing a new clutch
Old 10-22-2012, 05:06 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
I agree, save up and do a cam install yourself when your ready.
I would never recommend that someone attempt this alone unless they already have some basic experience working on cars or equipment/machinery in general. I don't know exactly what the OP's experience level is, but a cam swap is not a job for a 17 year old with zero experience working on engines, IMO.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I learned TONS of stuff just from reading thread's on this message board. I remember I was a counselors aide in High School and if I wasn't doing anything I would just read ls1tech the whole period. A lot of people know their **** on this site. Don't be afraid to search and if you can't find anything, start a thread.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start small - buy a beater and do your own brake changes, oil changes, routine maintenance, that sort of thing. It'll get you used to working on a car and doing basic stuff that's pretty easy to learn. Once you've got that down, you can start working on the harder stuff and go from there.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Agreed, hang around this site, you'll be amazed what you learn. I'm 17 as well, and I'm doing my own H/C on my car now with a little help from my pops. But, we have owned about 10 f bodies in the last year or so
Old 10-22-2012, 10:06 PM
Teching In

Buy a car, tear it all apart, then put it back together. lol i am jp with you. Like everyone said, research. I learned a lot as far as engines work by dealing with small engines. I raced quads and bikes my whole life so I learned a lot about carbs, engines, and routine maintenance. Then the first few trucks I owned I did all the maintenance and repairs myself. Then I worked at an auto parts store for a while and learned a lot. Then met people that owned shops and I would hang out up there and learned a lot while they were doing engine builds, etc. Really just anyway I could gain some knowledge I was there. But this site is where I learned the most about f bodys and ls engines. And since your still awaiting the purchase of your first fbody, you have plenty of time to research, learn, and plan out the future of your car.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Use the search before posting and you'll be more the good. I had no mechanical experience before I bought the car. Now I'm contemplating assembling my turbo build.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Teching In

thanks for the replies. i figured i'd start visiting this site more. i've been on here for 2 years now but have never really used it for research but i sure will now.

sad part is, an uncle of mine has his old cars (mostly 3rd gen camaros) parked in my grandparents houses around me. i really wish i could use them to learn more but he's overprotective of them.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I would never recommend that someone attempt this alone unless they already have some basic experience working on cars or equipment/machinery in general. I don't know exactly what the OP's experience level is, but a cam swap is not a job for a 17 year old with zero experience working on engines, IMO.

It's really about how mechanically inclined you are and being disciplined enough to take your time with all the correct steps. Some people shouldn't hold a screw driver. I had plenty of friends in high school capable of doing H/C. Of course there is nothing wrong with having some help and starting with bolt-ons like exhaust first, which should be done anyway before a cam.

But my point is the best way to learn is to actually do it. Only so much your gonna learn out of a book.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:19 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

But my point is the best way to learn is to actually do it. Only so much your gonna learn out of a book.
I agree.

But if you've never turned a wrench on a car or some sort of machinery before, then I would start with something much simpler than a cam swap (especially if you're working alone).
Old 10-23-2012, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I agree.

But if you've never turned a wrench on a car or some sort of machinery before, then I would start with something much simpler than a cam swap (especially if you're working alone).

By no means am I saying go out and start removing bolts on his future ride on a whim. I would hope he could read between the lines on what I am saying.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:24 AM
Teching In

jumping into H/C in my position would be absurd.

only things i've really done are an air filter change and oil change on my moms hyundai.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

start with easy stuff thats hard to F**k up....

LID
Catback
catch can
heater hose mod

then work up to stuff like
Intake if it dosnt have an LS6
Headers
Wire tuck

then once your comfortable with all that move up to the big boy stuff

mine is getting:

heads cam intake and rod bolts
nitrous plate system
CTS-V brake conversion
ford 8.8 rear end
Old 11-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Launching!

I agree. Read the threads on this site. If you don't find what your looking for start a new thread, chances are you're not the first with that question and you won't be the last. I've noticed almost everybody here knows what their talking about. Some may even do a little research to answer questions you may have.

But when it gets down to it hands on is the best way to learn. Start small until you get comfortable with your car. If something breaks then so be it. It was old and probably gonna break anyway.

Good luck with your school and have fun wrenching.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

Read some good magazines like GM High Tech Performance and High Performance Pontiac. There are some other good LS1 books out there also.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Teching In

sorry to 6-day necro this thread. my powers been out.

my grandma's old ford explorer has been sitting in my garage and it doesnt run, and is missing a wheel (dont know who took it off)

I know its a 4.0 Pushrod 6-cyl which appeals to me to use to learn because 1. its a clunker and it doesnt matter what i do to it, and 2. its a pushrod which is the engines i really feel i should start working with.

but i really need some insight on what i should start learning about and trying to do with it.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:05 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Andrew055
I know its a 4.0 Pushrod 6-cyl which appeals to me to use to learn because 1. its a clunker and it doesnt matter what i do to it, and 2. its a pushrod which is the engines i really feel i should start working with.

but i really need some insight on what i should start learning about and trying to do with it.
Don't worry about OHV vs. OHC or other internal engine configurations at this point, engine disassembly/re-assembly should not be the first thing on the menu anyway. The basic purpose of any car is to run, drive and stop, so making it do so would be the first things to learn if you want to develop the basic skills which are the foundation of automotive mechanical knowledge.

Start by trying to figure out why it doesn't run. This could be as simple as a new battery and some fresh gas if it's been sitting a long time, or it might be a no/poor spark or no/poor fuel condition, or even internal engine damage - only way to find out would be to start with the basics.

Quick Reply: learning about F-bodies