Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

In DIRE need of help. Fiberglass hood drama

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 12:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In DIRE need of help. Fiberglass hood drama

Okay, so two weeks ago I ordered a WSQ hood used on Ebay. (I know probably not the best decision ever, and yes I am in the process of painting it when I can get it lined up correctly). The hood is great but there are two cosmetic flaws on the driver's side...

1. Whoever decided to paint the hood sanded too much on the one side so that there is about a half inch difference between where the front of the hood starts to line up with the headlight part (look at the pictures and you will see what I mean).

I know this is a sanding issue because if you look on the other side (where the problem occurs on the driver's side) it is smooth as a baby's bottom. The sanded driver's side part is not at all.

Q: Can I do something like use fiberglass filler on that side to relieve the issue? What can I do to relieve this?

2. The driver's side part is raised up about 1/4 inch. (You can also kind of see this in the pictures). No, this is not a hood leveler issue. The hood level is all the way lowered because I thought that was the problem at first.

You can push the hood into the position it's supposed to be in by putting a light amount of pressure. It is a warping issue.

Q: I have read things online like putting weight on it or using the heat-gun method. How/which/what method(s) should I use?

This is the last time I'm going to order something like a FG hood used. It was a mistake and I shoulda just ordered it from VFN, but I know if I put the time and correct methods into this hood I can get it.

I love this hood and I wanna make it work on my car, any input is greatly appreciated guys.

HERE ARE THE PICS:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=v3ojm9&s=6
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=16jjyqc&s=6
Old 11-07-2012, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm pretty sure filling in a spot like that shouldn't be too big of an issue. Heck, body guys can graft two busted pieces of fiberglass together like you can't even tell it happened, so filling in a little spot should be pretty darn easy.

For the warping make sure that there is nothing else that could be pushing it. When you push down on the edge, take note of where it appears to flex at. It may be as simple as the hinge on that side needs tweaked to let it drop slightly more, or the hood latch is at a slight angle causing it to not sit flat across the front, raising that corner up, etc. If it is warped I'd think a shop would know best how to straighten it out.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I'm pretty sure filling in a spot like that shouldn't be too big of an issue. Heck, body guys can graft two busted pieces of fiberglass together like you can't even tell it happened, so filling in a little spot should be pretty darn easy.

For the warping make sure that there is nothing else that could be pushing it. When you push down on the edge, take note of where it appears to flex at. It may be as simple as the hinge on that side needs tweaked to let it drop slightly more, or the hood latch is at a slight angle causing it to not sit flat across the front, raising that corner up, etc. If it is warped I'd think a shop would know best how to straighten it out.
Oh okay good. Can u recommend any products to use or anthing? I wanna avoid taking it in if possible cuz theyre probably gonna charge an arm and a leg.

Ill have to investigate the hood warping some more... I don't think it's an underhoodd issue though.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You might find playing around with adjusting it will get you better results. Keep in mind it can be time consuming and a PITA. More pix also would be nice as well as putting this thread in the proper sub forum (paint and bodywork). One thing it looks like you can do is screw the rubber stop in further, and trying to split the difference with the gaps. Like already stated its fiberglass it could be in several pieces and I could fix it and im just doing it as a hobby.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:28 AM
FormerVendor

Hello there, here are a few tips for you: First I would recommend an overall picture of the hood that shows all four corners that way we can get a full understanding of what your seeing, but based on the picture's you posted you can follow step two of our install instructions:

and for the corner:[IMG][/IMG]
Hope this helps
Old 11-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Wow, thanks VFN tech. Very useful information to perfectly get it adjusted.

I'm just going to try to adjust the driver's side headlight and then use fiberglass filler where needed.

I checked about the driver's side going up as well and confirmed that it IS a warping issue. Going to apply weight for a couple weeks when the car is sitting and use a heat gun on it every once in awhile and see what happens. Thanks!
Old 11-10-2012, 11:10 AM
Teching In

i took the easy way out and took mine to a shop lol. 400 bucks for instal and paint
Old 11-11-2012, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bsl_ls1
i took the easy way out and took mine to a shop lol. 400 bucks for instal and paint
Install went smooth for the most part. Just error on the person who had it before me (you should see all the imperfections in the paint, it looks like a Maaco job.) All this can be sanded out though.

Another reason I got the hood used though because it was cheaper and the car is getting repainting anyways by me

White and Black with grills and logos getting painted Red.

Quick Reply: In DIRE need of help. Fiberglass hood drama