Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wrap for sail panel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 02:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wrap for sail panel?

Has anyone tried to use a wrap to cover up there clear coat bubbles on there sail panel? Just thought this might be an option instead of dropping $600 or $700 to replace the factory one? Thoughts?
Old 11-19-2012, 02:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll just see the bubbles through the wrap.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sometimes even repainting that panel wont even remove the bubbles, it will do a temporary fix but the bubbles will start to show up again eventually. Youd be better off finding a used one in great conditions thats if you do not want to buy a new one
Old 11-19-2012, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know why more people do not fix the sail panel instead of replacing it. The problem is not the paint or the panel, its the glue. You can fix it to where it will not bubble anymore for less than $125. Ive done this on all my ttop cars.

1. Tape up the areas around the sail panel (back glass/t-tops/body)
2. Find a heat gun (hair dryer)
3. Get a guitar string and after heating up the panel slowly slide the string along the panel making sure you keep it hot and remove it.
4. Take it to get it painted (less than $100)
5. Get a few tubes of adhesive and apply it to the Sail Panel, set the panel down onto the glue, tape it to hold it down.

Done for cheap.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

hmmm that's a pretty interesting post. Never heard anyone mention the idea of pulling it off and removing the old glue, which was the cause, and then just reapplying it. That definitely sounds like the easiest/cheapest option for anyone dealing with that. Luckily I don't have to deal with that lol.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:05 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats what im doing to mine,im not spending all that money for something i think i can do for under 250 bucks,i will have a thread soon about it,and total cost involved,
Old 11-22-2012, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

So nobody thinks it might work?
Old 11-22-2012, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
hmmm that's a pretty interesting post. Never heard anyone mention the idea of pulling it off and removing the old glue, which was the cause, and then just reapplying it. That definitely sounds like the easiest/cheapest option for anyone dealing with that. Luckily I don't have to deal with that lol.
But how do you remove the glue that's already made it's way into the panel and seeped out the other side? I'm guessing the fiberglass itself is going to retain the old glue.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bump for that last question. Can u just wrap it once it's off instead of paint? Or do the buble have ti be sanded down?
Old 11-26-2012, 02:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Once it bubbles on your current sail panel, its never going to stop no matter what you do to it. Only for sure fix option is to snag one from an lt1 body, and use the correct glue.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have zero bubbles on the actual sail panel but they're all over my hard top! When I rip it off next year I'll see if I can take the sail panel off in one piece & check the underside, if it's good I'll try and sell it.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by homerunhtr21
I dont know why more people do not fix the sail panel instead of replacing it. The problem is not the paint or the panel, its the glue. You can fix it to where it will not bubble anymore for less than $125. Ive done this on all my ttop cars.

1. Tape up the areas around the sail panel (back glass/t-tops/body)
2. Find a heat gun (hair dryer)
3. Get a guitar string and after heating up the panel slowly slide the string along the panel making sure you keep it hot and remove it.
4. Take it to get it painted (less than $100)
5. Get a few tubes of adhesive and apply it to the Sail Panel, set the panel down onto the glue, tape it to hold it down.

Done for cheap.
What about the glue already leached into the fiberglass?

I'd rather try to get a pre-98 panel from a junkyard car first than try to fix an already shot 99-up panel. Worst case I'll buy a new panel, though it would be nicer on my budget to get a good used one. We'll see next summer since my car's panel is going to need replaced.

BTW, a HUGE thanks to 6LE for stepping up to the plate and making new replacement panels.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

All your answers are in the sticky in PAINT & BODY......A person fixed a sail panel with the old glue inside.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:11 PM
TECH Resident

I don't know the up dates on his sail panel, if its still holding up or not?

I just pm'ed ScrapinBye for a up date.......

Last edited by ZeeSNuttS; 11-26-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had no problems with any of the old glue on the fiberglass. This was after 2 years
Old 11-26-2012, 04:28 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One thing I have NEVER understood is how it bubbles in the places it bubbles. If you look at the way they are glued on from the factory it is just one big squiggly line BUT the bubbles appear all over, not just where the glue is.

I HONESTLY think the "glue was bad" excuse from GM was a lie. I think something in the sail panels themselves were bad those years otherwise how do they explain the location of the bubbles compared to where the glue actually is?
Old 11-26-2012, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Well for what it is worth my bubbles are in a nice line across the roof near the t-tops, with a second, fainter line toward the hatch. I compared it to pictures of the underside of a removed sail panel and it lines up. They aren't terrible and aren't leaking goo yet, but you can definitely see and feel them. Looks like dozens of little bumps across the roof.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I might try fixing it myself
Old 04-02-2014, 12:05 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know this is bumping a thread from two years ago, but I also just thought about wrapping it in some gloss black vinyl. While I know the bubbles will still appear, at least the goo won't be leaking out (I'd rather have bubbles at this point!).

Has anyone attempted the vinyl in the past two years? Like the OP, I'm not in the position to spend the money on a 6LE panel (absolutely not a slight on 6LE -- I just don't have that much disposable income now) or even getting a LT1 panel. I'm just hoping to do something under $100.

Hell, maybe even clear 3M bra would work?

Originally Posted by Black 99 Bird
Has anyone tried to use a wrap to cover up there clear coat bubbles on there sail panel? Just thought this might be an option instead of dropping $600 or $700 to replace the factory one? Thoughts?
So, did you ever try the vinyl?

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Well for what it is worth my bubbles are in a nice line across the roof near the t-tops, with a second, fainter line toward the hatch. I compared it to pictures of the underside of a removed sail panel and it lines up. They aren't terrible and aren't leaking goo yet, but you can definitely see and feel them. Looks like dozens of little bumps across the roof.
This is how mind started -- all those raised bumps in a line. It wasn't until after I did a full clay/polish/compound that they "popped" and leak the goo any time it's in the sun.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Bump for wrap feedback. When my bubbles finally burst (only slightly visible now), I am planning to wrap it. It's definitely worth a try since it's so cheap and easy. Ever since the 1LE came out, I have been looking for an excuse to add some flat black wrap anyway

Quick Reply: Wrap for sail panel?