Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Considering Nitto NT05 on all 4 corners

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 06:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering Nitto NT05 on all 4 corners

I'm considering running the NT05 on all 4 corners. Do any of you currently have this set up? If so, what do you think? Does the car really handle better? Roughly how long did they last? I know there was a thread on this tire but wanted to get some quick answers. I should be making the purchase within the next week or so. I put about 6-7k miles a year on my Camaro. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 11-25-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive heard they are great tires
Old 11-26-2012, 06:22 AM
Teching In

Yeah, I've heard nothing but good things about this tire. Quite a few people have been telling me to go with the 555 on the front b/c the tread wear on the NT05 is only 200. I figured driving around town only, they should last for a while. Just looks like such an awesome tire.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I run 275/40/17 on the front and 315's on the rear. great tire for street and a track day , excellent mechanical grip and alot better in the wet than i thought they would be, I can get my whale of a 4th gen around Gainsville test track under a minute, they are going to make more noise, the stiff side wall is the reason but you gain great turn in responce, there are allways trade off's. at the miles you drive expect a couple of years of of them. I will buy a another set for the new wheels, even if I have to buy every couple of years they are worth it.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:07 PM
Teching In

Toadzq8 - thanks for the feedback. That's my exact tire sizes. I think that about sums it up, I am sold! I was worried about the fronts wearing out too quick but what the hell. If they look good and it'll handle a bit better, why not. I'll post up pix once they're on. Car has been lowered for a while too now so some new pix are in order!

Cheers guys!
Old 11-26-2012, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1dames
Yeah, I've heard nothing but good things about this tire. Quite a few people have been telling me to go with the 555 on the front b/c the tread wear on the NT05 is only 200. I figured driving around town only, they should last for a while. Just looks like such an awesome tire.
If you are looking for handling then running different tires front/rear is not the way to do it.
The NT05 is a good tire, great grip and good on the street as well. Im running them and have no complaints, but not much to compare it too. A little stiffer then the factory goodyears, and way more grip.
Did you read this thread?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...itto-nt05.html
Old 11-26-2012, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
If you are looking for handling then running different tires front/rear is not the way to do it.
The NT05 is a good tire, great grip and good on the street as well. Im running them and have no complaints, but not much to compare it too. A little stiffer then the factory goodyears, and way more grip.
You are correct JD_AMG

Mixing tire compounds is a big no-no for street, when it gets wet your asking for trouble. Tread design and compounds will magnify their reactions in wet conditions. So if your street driving, not advised,
Old 11-26-2012, 06:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Hey JD AMG, i did read the entire NT05 thread. Great thread. Just looking for a quick answer as they'll most likely be on in a week or so. I've just heard a lot of good things about how much better the car felt on the road that I had to ask who's run them before making the purchase. No track runs coming anytime soon here. As for handling, I'm done with that for now. Springs, struts, shocks, and lower control arms about do it unless you run on the track. Cheers for the info...
Old 11-26-2012, 06:41 PM
Launching!

Ive got 285/35/18 Front and 295/35/18 Rear on my Z. Ive only got a couple hundred miles on them so far. Far better than the tires the stock tires that where on there.
Decent around corners, havent been able to break them loose throwing it around corners yet. Useless in 1st and part of second. Useless when cold.
Its a good tire for the money.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:46 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Do they hold at all with a high stall and h/c?

Or should I say, do they hold better for taking off in first gear than a DR at street PSI?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:43 AM
Launching!

No mine are useless in 1st gear easing into it with a CAI only Z06
Old 11-27-2012, 09:23 AM
TECH Resident

I am on my 2nd set of 275/17s. I love them. I got around 15,000 miles out of the first set including a couple of track days. I did an HPDE in the rain and they were suprisingly good. You do get more road noise because of the sidewalls and they don't like the cold. Straight line traction is nothing special but they corner well, which is what they were designed for. I have a fairly aggressive alignment and they wore perfectly.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Arctic2002ss
I am on my 2nd set of 275/17s. I love them. I got around 15,000 miles out of the first set including a couple of track days. I did an HPDE in the rain and they were suprisingly good. You do get more road noise because of the sidewalls and they don't like the cold. Straight line traction is nothing special but they corner well, which is what they were designed for. I have a fairly aggressive alignment and they wore perfectly.

Wow, 15k miles isn't too bad at all. I think i could live with that. I guess I will just have to live with the road noise. Hell, once my cam is installed, i may not even here it, lol!! I'm not going to be on any track with them, so hopefully they will last for me as well. I do the occasional fly by when some jackass cuts me off on the way to work. That's about it. It's nice having a car that you can do that with!
Old 11-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
Do they hold at all with a high stall and h/c?

Or should I say, do they hold better for taking off in first gear than a DR at street PSI?
I will let you know soon enough my friend. Looks like I can have them within 24 hours so it shouldn't be long. I don't think these tires will hook anywhere near a DR. I had the 555R's on my WS-6 (usually ran about 28PSI). When those tires were brand new, they hooked really well. Almost felt like the rear end was gonna snap. But once I got about 5k miles on them, they started to spin with ease. I want the NT05 so that i actually have a decent tire on the car to drive around in. Those DR's didn't last very long at all either. I'll keep you posted though!
Old 11-27-2012, 07:58 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Good to hear. I'm thinking NT05s up front and NT05Rs in the back. Give up some handling/safety for some kind of grip. Ugh.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Got 275's on front and 295's on rear with 10.5 inch wheel on all four and do all my driving in dry weather and they are awesome tires. I'm not getten the noise as mentioned earlier and I've only got about 200 miles on them. They handle awesome. Highly recommended for a Sunday driver.
Attached Thumbnails Considering Nitto NT05 on all 4 corners-pics-013.jpg   Considering Nitto NT05 on all 4 corners-003.jpg  
Old 11-30-2012, 06:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by witelife
Got 275's on front and 295's on rear with 10.5 inch wheel on all four and do all my driving in dry weather and they are awesome tires. I'm not getten the noise as mentioned earlier and I've only got about 200 miles on them. They handle awesome. Highly recommended for a Sunday driver.
They look great on your car. I actually saw them on your car when I was in another thread. Glad to hear you like them because I'll have them on next Wednesday. I'm anxious to see them on the car. Glad to hear about the noise because I was a bit worried about that.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like mine. Lots of lateral grip, a little less straightline traction compared to my NT-555R. However, that is exactly what I expected and wanted.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:07 PM
Teching In

Hey guys, I've had the NT05's on the car for about 2 weeks now. So far I really like them. 275 up front and 315's out back. They seem to hug the road real well. I haven't done a hole shot with them yet, but at 30mph or so they hardly spun, just enough for me not to break anything in the rear end, lol. I have to say, they look much more aggressive than the old 555's. I've been real busy recently, but I'll see if i can get a few pics up soon. Just haven't figured out how yet..

Quick Reply: Considering Nitto NT05 on all 4 corners