Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Cammed G8 vs AMG E55 and C63

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cammed G8 vs AMG E55 and C63

These were a couple races that I was really looking forward to, after the cam swap, to test out my car.

First up was the E55, a stock 2004. We had raced once before, when my setup was bolt-ons/nitrous. I gave him a car length, but a nitrous issue gave him an easy win.

Once I got the cam swap done I hit him up for a heads up rematch. We went out to a local spot, where we have a 1/4 mile marked out. I had one passenger and he was alone. We lined up and I honked it off. We left together and I slowly pulled a 1/2 car lead through the first two gears. At that point he stopped my pull and it kept looking like he was going to creep back, but he never did. Since I was ahead, I stayed in it passed the 1/4 mile a bit to see if he pulled at all, but it stayed there until we let off at 130 mph or so.

I was thrilled with be results, as I expected to get walked up top. He was impressed with the gains from the cam and we shook hands over a great race.

Next up was my friend's stock 2009 C63. I was really looking forward to this rematch, as it's the car that gave me incentive to install the cam.

We previously raced from 45 mph rolls, with me having a passenger, and with me on motor (bolt-ons) he straight up walked away. I was left thinking, "damn, if only my car rolled out like that on motor!" We also raced with me spraying a 75 shot, and it was almost dead even, with him getting out slightly and me evening it up as speeds increased.

Now for the rematch, we agreed to the same 45 mph start to make it a close comparison to last time. I was hoping to be able to keep him to within a car length. Neither of us had a passenger this time.

The first run I hit it a little late and he got out a fender. I expected him to keep pulling, but I stopped his pull, and to my surprise I started pulling back. We ran it out to 135ish and I got him by 1 to 1-1/2 cars, according to him.

The second race we started at 45 again, and this time we hit it at the same time. With no jump, I was able to start pulling sooner and by 135 I was 1-1/2 to 2 cars in front, according to him.

To say I'm happy with the cam swap would be an understatement! I've raced every car that I had set my sites on before the swap (bolt-on 2005 GTO as well), and I was able to beat every one. I would have been happy if they had all beaten me by a car, lol.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:59 AM
TECH Regular

Nice runs u plan on adding anymore mods? AMGs are sweet cars
Old 11-27-2012, 09:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice job! It's amazing what those L76/LS3 engines can do with just some breathing mods and getting rid of GM's craptastic tunes.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:13 AM

Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
Nice runs u plan on adding anymore mods? AMGs are sweet cars
Yeah, there's definitely more in store for it. Next up I want to get wheels and tires (mostly because I need new tires and it's a good chance to get drag radials). After that the car is getting heads and a FAST intake.

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Nice job! It's amazing what those L76/LS3 engines can do with just some breathing mods and getting rid of GM's craptastic tunes.
I'd say the tune and the cam were the best mods so far. It really needs gears too, the stockers kill the performance.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:15 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good runs man sounds like that g8 is running really good. Do you think it will put down better times at the strip than what's in your sig?
Old 11-27-2012, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by willizm
Good runs man sounds like that g8 is running really good. Do you think it will put down better times at the strip than what's in your sig?
I'm pretty sure it will. I ran that time with my tall drag radials, and it got a terrible 60'. The stock wheels/tire have been worth 2 tenths on back to back runs in the past, due to a better 60', so I think the car has a 12.4 in it. Only one way to find out though
Old 11-27-2012, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

g8 is running real good. Few local cars would be a great match up for it
Old 11-27-2012, 09:37 AM

Hopefully we can do a winter meet.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

supposed to get snow today... so my car is off the road i believe
Old 11-27-2012, 09:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Wana trade?

Myh cobalt for your G8?
God i love your ride OP
Old 11-27-2012, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

ill be anxious to race you with the heads on the car
Old 11-27-2012, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by evangto87
supposed to get snow today... so my car is off the road i believe
Mine never really comes off the road, I just don't drive it until the roads dry.
Originally Posted by hugger1975
Wana trade?

Myh cobalt for your G8?
God i love your ride OP
Haha, thanks! When the Cobalts first came out (2006?) I came very close to buying a supercharged SS. Always been a big fan of those, and the turbo model just made them better
Old 11-27-2012, 09:53 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
I'm pretty sure it will. I ran that time with my tall drag radials, and it got a terrible 60'. The stock wheels/tire have been worth 2 tenths on back to back runs in the past, due to a better 60', so I think the car has a 12.4 in it. Only one way to find out though
We would have made for a good run with my 335xi. We trap and ET about the same.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:05 AM

Yeah, I've always been impressed with those 335i's. I tried picking a fight with a 135i a couple weeks ago, but he wouldn't run. Had a sticker from a new local performance shop too, lol.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:15 AM
9 Second Club

Yeah, I've always been impressed with those 335i's. I tried picking a fight with a 135i a couple weeks ago, but he wouldn't run. Had a sticker from a new local performance shop too, lol.
the 1ers are quick cars, but if you run them from a dig or a low roll you will probably get out quick and hold it. They can only take so wide of a tire in the rear and their aren't a whole lot of options for sticky tires for them unfortunately.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

the 1ers are quick cars, but if you run them from a dig or a low roll you will probably get out quick and hold it. They can only take so wide of a tire in the rear and their aren't a whole lot of options for sticky tires for them unfortunately.
Cant even tell you how many BMW guys and Merc guys have wanted to race me from an 80 roll. Not because of traction, but because of there "top end".

Oh and i still win
Old 11-27-2012, 10:57 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by evangto87
Cant even tell you how many BMW guys and Merc guys have wanted to race me from an 80 roll. Not because of traction, but because of there "top end".

Oh and i still win
The n54 is a better midrange and low end grunt car. The m3's are more of a top end car and show their strengths there. My personal best was a 12.3@112mph on runflats in the 335xi. It could have been better but I was having alot of timing drop issues throughout 2-4 Hoping that if I can get a sticky tire, my bolt ons, and tune on the 1er I can crack high 11's if I can hit my shifts. Traction is the difference between my 1er and my 3er
Old 11-27-2012, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

The n54 is a better midrange and low end grunt car. The m3's are more of a top end car and show their strengths there. My personal best was a 12.3@112mph on runflats in the 335xi. It could have been better but I was having alot of timing drop issues throughout 2-4 Hoping that if I can get a sticky tire, my bolt ons, and tune on the 1er I can crack high 11's if I can hit my shifts. Traction is the difference between my 1er and my 3er
thats ok because we have the same ET.. so i just suck
Old 11-27-2012, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, there's definitely more in store for it. Next up I want to get wheels and tires (mostly because I need new tires and it's a good chance to get drag radials). After that the car is getting heads and a FAST intake.

I'd say the tune and the cam were the best mods so far. It really needs gears too, the stockers kill the performance.
What options are you thinking for heads?

Still thinking Camaro gears? That would take the 2.92 to 3.27 auto gears, correct?
Haha, thanks! When the Cobalts first came out (2006?) I came very close to buying a supercharged SS. Always been a big fan of those, and the turbo model just made them better
The turbos were definitely a vast improvement. I remember racing a buddy with modded out LSJ and he struggled against my old LT1. Turbo would embarrass my old LT1
I'm curious to see a comparison with 135i and 335i with similar mods. Don't the 135i's weigh about ~200lbs less. Would be interesting to see how that panned out
My buddies does just fine with his Nitto DR's. Heated up, a little spin at first, but they catch really quick.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:28 AM
9 Second Club

Which ones does he have and what size?

Quick Reply: Cammed G8 vs AMG E55 and C63