Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

RAAMmat BXT2, anyone use it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default RAAMmat BXT2, anyone use it?

I need to get some sound deadening for my stereo install in my camaro. Saw this stuff from RAAMaudio and wondered if it was any good? I don't know squat about this stuff. I plan on doing my doors, trunk area, sail panels and a few areas of the floor. They sell a bulk kit that is 37 sq ft for $110. I figured I would get 2 kits.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i used it per recommendations from other people on here.
I bought 3 kits for my 2002 camaro and finished it up about a month ago. With 3 x 37 sqft I had enough to line the whole interior, doors, and a decent amount of the trunk area and have about 6-8 sheets left over. If you only get two kits I don't think you'll be able to line the whole interior if that's your goal. and from what they say i don't think you want to, just hit the big flat area that can resonate especially the rear deck between the back seat and trunk. I bought 5 kits of the ps ensolite and had just enough to do the doors and most of the interior so i would recommend 6 of those. the bxt2 is for resonance, the ensolite foam actually does the sound deadening but be careful if you use more than 2 layers in places that you don't bulge the carpet and can get the door panels back on.
unfortunately i've also had the rear axle out of my car so i haven't driven it yet with the sound deadening done and with new kee audio speakers. it otherwise sounds good playing in my garage on jackstands.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:49 PM
TECH Regular

i used both their raammat and ensolite to deaden most of my interior and the results were huge imo. the car sounds much more solidly put together. its really noticeable when closing the doors or cranking up the volume. and it also has quietted the exhaust drone in the interior greatly. the only thing i gotta work on now is deadening the sound of the cheap plastic interior rattles lol
Old 11-28-2012, 02:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought a replacement carpet and it is suppose to have extra padding/insulation. So bxt on large flat area's and ensolite over everything basically? What did you use on your doors, was it a combination of both?
Old 11-28-2012, 05:51 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sheikss
I bought a replacement carpet and it is suppose to have extra padding/insulation. So bxt on large flat area's and ensolite over everything basically? What did you use on your doors, was it a combination of both?
i used raammat on the inside of the door panel and then where the original water jacket/plastic cover was on the inside of the door, i used the ensolite
Old 11-30-2012, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for the doors follow the instructions that raamaudio have on their site for lining behind the door speakers. from memory if i am correct it's one 12"x12" bxt2 behind the speaker on the door skin, then a smaller 6x6 or 8x8 of bxt2 on top of the first followed by a 12x12 of ensolite foam. for the rest of the door including the outer door skin you want to get bxt on the large flat pieces of metal to stop resonance. it's pretty easy to reach in and do. you're gonna rip out the oem clear plastic moisture barrier that was on there, and what you can do is use the bxt to cover the existing holes in the inner door skin. pay careful attention around the door handle, the little bracket is only riveted on and mine has rattled for the last 10 years. an extra sheet metal screw through it plus bxt around it to hold it. then on the inner door skin once you have all the bxt you want applied, line the entire thing with ensolite foam. be careful not to go to thick with everything so you can get the door panel back on. also get bxt underneath the metal door handle rods to stop the noise of them hitting the metal interior door skin.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
for the doors follow the instructions that raamaudio have on their site for lining behind the door speakers. from memory if i am correct it's one 12"x12" bxt2 behind the speaker on the door skin, then a smaller 6x6 or 8x8 of bxt2 on top of the first followed by a 12x12 of ensolite foam.
it's no larger than an 8"x8" patch of ensolite that he recommends behind each speaker. he says that anymore will dampen the bass.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

1 FMF - Nice info there, thanks for the good input
Old 11-30-2012, 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

After you deaden the doors.....can you still replace window regulators and window motors when they fail?
Old 12-01-2012, 12:33 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by abates
After you deaden the doors.....can you still replace window regulators and window motors when they fail?
yes,i actually had to change my driver side window motor justa week after installing all the raammat and ensolite. had to cut thru the ensolite a bit tho cuz i had installedit as the site recommended which is basically replacing the plastic water jacket that was originally there
Old 12-06-2012, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Avaric3
i used both their raammat and ensolite to deaden most of my interior and the results were huge imo. the car sounds much more solidly put together. its really noticeable when closing the doors or cranking up the volume. and it also has quietted the exhaust drone in the interior greatly. the only thing i gotta work on now is deadening the sound of the cheap plastic interior rattles lol

How much of the ensolite and Raammat did you end up purchasing? I see that 1 FMF purchased 3 rolls and 6 yards, and was just curious if your install was any different.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:55 AM
TECH Regular

I believe I bought 75 sqft (2 packs) of raammat and 70 sqft of ensolite ps (5 packs). It was enough to do the entire car wit ensolite, minus the roof and there was enough raammat to do the same. Keep in mind that I only covered roughly 70% of all the panels I did cover. I actually just orderedanother 28sqft of ensolite cuz I'm going to also back all of my plastic interior panels wit it. I mayalso be upgrading my bazooka subs to cdt subs so my bazookas will be up for sale in that case
Old 12-08-2012, 08:58 AM
Staging Lane

I used to use brown bread, never used the foam before. The brown bread seemed to do the trick although I didnt do a whole lot of competitions
Old 04-18-2013, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

So if I buy "Package #2" it won't be enough?

http://www.raamaudio.com/categories/...Foam-Products/
Old 04-18-2013, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I emailed him with what I was doing and he set me up.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:55 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by No Juice
So if I buy "Package #2" it won't be enough?

http://www.raamaudio.com/categories/...Foam-Products/
that will likely be plenty if you strategically place everything
Old 04-19-2013, 06:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought 2 of the 37.5 sq ft packs for mine. It was enough for the firewall, floor, trunk, doors, and around the sail panel speakers. I didn't cover every square inch of the floor (because you don't need to), and I still have a couple sheets left over.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

I emailed him with what I was doing and he set me up.
So what did you order and for what car?
Old 04-20-2013, 12:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought bxt and ensolite for my 97. The ensolite is the sound deadner.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:28 AM
TECH Addict

I bought bxt and ensolite for my 97. The ensolite is the sound deadner.
Sorry, I meant to ask how much of each did you have to order.

Quick Reply: RAAMmat BXT2, anyone use it?