Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Oil Filter

I've always purchased the K&N Oil filter, but it's alwasy been pretty pricey. $14 I think from Advance Auto. Is there really any benefit to running the K&N Oil filter vs a cheaper one?
Old 11-28-2012, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Since yu change out the filter everytime yu change the oil and it's not reusable like the air filter I don't really see it being worth the price. I used to work at AutoZone awhile back and a guy down the road cut open a fram, bosch, k&n, Mobil, and stp filter in half and surprisingly it turned out that the stp had the best filtering. Not worth the money in my opinion but everyone will have their preference and their brand they swear by. I prefer Mobil 1.Just my opinion

Last edited by birner88; 11-28-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do not use fram.

I use Mobil myself.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I buy Wix filters for everything, oil, air, and fuel. They're some of the highest quality filters made, and are made in the USA. A Wix oil filter is less than $5 on Rock Auto. If you want to buy them local O'Reillys carries them, or you can buy NAPA gold, or Car Quest Premium filters they're pretty much just re-boxed Wix filters.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

I use K&N simple due to the welded nut on the bottom. Changing the filter with long tube headers is a breaze with a 1" socket compared to your normal, wrap around oil filter wrenches. The difference in frustration is WELL worth the price difference to me.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use Advance Auto coupon codes online, buy it, go to the store and pick it up. Will save you a small amount of money if you are that worried about it. I run Purolator filters in all my cars now. They are quality filters and cheap.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
I use K&N simple due to the welded nut on the bottom. Changing the filter with long tube headers is a breaze with a 1" socket compared to your normal, wrap around oil filter wrenches. The difference in frustration is WELL worth the price difference to me.
Get one of these. It's more of a oil filter socket.

No need to buy a K&N just for the nut on the bottom.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:41 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

The right tool definitely makes life easy, as I have the same one. As far as filters go, I personally use either an AC Delco or Wix, and have not had any issues either way.
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 11-30-2012, 04:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fry_

I just got my mind blown away!! where do i get one of those!? I havnt seen them before.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Fry_

IMO, those tools (or the nut on the K&N filter for that matter) shouldn't exist if people would just put their oil filters on correctly in the first place (not super tight). About a 1/4 to 1/2 turn past snug is perfect usually. Tight enough to stay put, not too tight where you can't get it off. You should be able to take them off by hand, no tools needed.

Before someone cries fowl, I used to work in a Lube Express and did thousands of oil changes. Never had a single issue with them being put on 1/4-1/2 turn past snug. Always took them off by hand, always sealed fine.

Also, Fram filters are junk for the record lol. I also use Wix.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

I have 2 of those, and they never seem to work. The wrap around one if the worst. However, that's the only one that will work on my other car.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Napa Gold, hand tightened.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
IMO, those tools (or the nut on the K&N filter for that matter) shouldn't exist if people would just put their oil filters on correctly in the first place (not super tight). About a 1/4 to 1/2 turn past snug is perfect usually. Tight enough to stay put, not too tight where you can't get it off. You should be able to take them off by hand, no tools needed.

Before someone cries fowl, I used to work in a Lube Express and did thousands of oil changes. Never had a single issue with them being put on 1/4-1/2 turn past snug. Always took them off by hand, always sealed fine.

Also, Fram filters are junk for the record lol. I also use Wix.
this is true. but on my camaro ever since the LT install it kind of makes it hard to un screw the filter by hand. i can put my hand around the filter but not enough room to turn it.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 608kZ28
this is true. but on my camaro ever since the LT install it kind of makes it hard to un screw the filter by hand. i can put my hand around the filter but not enough room to turn it.
This is one area where I could see the tool being neccessary in theory, but I usually find that when space is confined that the tool itself is usually too big to fit as well.

Kind of like on newer 5.3/6.0 GM trucks where the oil pan "wraps around" most of the oil filter. If one of those is over-tightened, most oil filter wrenches don't fit. Hammering a screw driver through the oil filter for leverage is usually the route I go on over-tightened filters on those lol. Messy but effective.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:50 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Wix filters for my cars. I don't buy into K&N's hype, and that goes for their air filters also...
Old 11-30-2012, 10:51 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

With longtubes it has always been tough for me to get the filter off without that tool. I forgot about the NAPA gold, but I believe that it is actually a wix, but I could be wrong...
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 12-01-2012, 04:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake@Texas-Speed
With longtubes it has always been tough for me to get the filter off without that tool. I forgot about the NAPA gold, but I believe that it is actually a wix, but I could be wrong...
Wix and napa gold are the same.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bww3588
Wix and napa gold are the same.
Don't forget to add Car Quest premium filters to that list.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

This is one area where I could see the tool being neccessary in theory, but I usually find that when space is confined that the tool itself is usually too big to fit as well.
i thought myself the 1st time i used it. but the wrench fit fine.

Hammering a screw driver through the oil filter for leverage is usually the route I go on over-tightened filters on those lol. Messy but effective.
LOL!! ive done that before.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always used Mobil 1 or AC Delco filters, although Purolater filters are also very good quality for less money than Mobil 1's

Quick Reply: K&N Oil Filter