Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS in a Lamborghini Diablo Roaster

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 06:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS in a Lamborghini Diablo Roaster

First off this is a replica that I built a year ago on a streched 1988 Pontiac Fiero, so Lamborghini puriest dont get your panties all wadded up. When I built it I installed a transverse sbc/350 crate engine to the Fiero 5 speed via V8Archie kit. I knew from the beginning of the build I wasnt going to keep the sbc, it was just to get it finished and until I could figure out what I wanted to put back there.

I looked at alot of different powertrains, my goal is to have more power and better fuel mileage than a real stock Lamborghini Diablo. I knew wanted to have atleast 600hp/tq with room to grow should I feel the need. After looking at alot of options I settled on the LS engine. Although the engine Im using for mockup up is a iron block 5.3 truck motor, in the end I will be using either a LS1 or L33. I have a LS1 shortblock and a complete L33 dropout but the L33 is in unknown condition as it came from a flooded truck. Right now Im using a iron block 5.3 for the mockup.

This drivetrain will be really different- the motor is attached to a TH425 out of a GMC motorhome with the factory differential removed. The drivetrain will be mounted in a reverse rotation, meaning the waterpump, pulleys, ect facing the rear of the car. This is to get a real mid-engine layout with all the weight completely in front of the rear tire.

In the end drivetrain will be a small twin turbo L33 (maye the LS1) on E85, but I might hold off on the turbos just to make sure the reverse rotation setup is going to work. Yesterday I pulled the sbc out and droped in the 5.3 and started building a new cradle for the engine/trans and today I cut up some tubing and tacked the basic cradle design and dropped it back out. In the coming days I will be finishing welding the tacks and adding more bracing around the cradle.

I have 4 different designs for the differential, not sure on which one Im going to go with. But now that I have the engine/trans pretty much laid out in the car I can figure out how and which differential Im going to use.

LS in a Lamborghini Diablo Roaster-ls1testfit-002.jpg
Some more images of the engine/trans/ and the car itself can be seen here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31604886@N08/

Feel free to offer any advice or tips, Im going to need it...
Old 11-30-2012, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very cool. And who cares about the Lamborghini purists. Fabricating your own dream car is much cooler.

FYI, you can post your images from PhotoBucket right into your posts and they will show up in your posts. Just be sure to copy and paste the link with the [img] in front of it.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:08 PM
TECH Resident

Wow, that is a really good looking replica.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

There are no words to describe how cool the trans/drivetrain is. Lots of pics and details need to be posted!!!!!!
Old 12-01-2012, 06:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree! Cool car, and it will surely have the power to back up the looks.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Teching In

A coupe of years ago I looked at using the LSx and Th425 and from what I could learn (we never had the TH425 in my Country) the LS block will foul the transmission case due to the deep skirt design of the engine.

It may be do-able by shaving a chunk off the right hand side of the block but not sure it would be easy to do.

I guess you could roll the engine over to the left to clear the trans?

It would also need a funky exhaust on the trans side.

An alternative would be a toughened up Porsche G59 trans then you get 5 speed manual instead of only 3 speed auto.

I assume if you're planning to flip the diff to get the axles rotating the right way.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by zuffen
A coupe of years ago I looked at using the LSx and Th425 and from what I could learn (we never had the TH425 in my Country) the LS block will foul the transmission case due to the deep skirt design of the engine.

It may be do-able by shaving a chunk off the right hand side of the block but not sure it would be easy to do.

I guess you could roll the engine over to the left to clear the trans?

It would also need a funky exhaust on the trans side.

An alternative would be a toughened up Porsche G59 trans then you get 5 speed manual instead of only 3 speed auto.

I assume if you're planning to flip the diff to get the axles rotating the right way.
The TH425 is BOP bolt pattern so the alignment pins and the bottom 2 bolts on the left and right side will bolt up to the LS engines. The other remaining bolts holes dont line up, there are generic BOP to Chevy adapters that fit between the block and trans that can be made to work. There is also a couple guys making custom th425 to LS adapters but there pretty expensive.

I went different route to adapt the TH425 / LS, I made a adapter that mounts to the outside of the trans that attaches the two. I will put up some pics of that soon. The TH425 will fit right up to the LS engine with a Corvette C6 oil pan and a little clearencing here and there on the inside of the bell housing due to the flex plate. But no removal of of any part of the block, the little oil cooler feed/oil return thingy on the side of the oil pan above the filter needs some modifcation.

Im running twin turbos on flipped up 2011 Camaro exhaust manifolds so the exhaust will go up instead of straight down and then back then down under the car. I did another reverse rotation TH425 but with a SBC in a Fiero about 7 years ago (pics of the motor and car can be seen on my flickr pages) and I used V8 S10 headers and it fit perfect. So exhaust is real easy!

As mentioned in my fist post I removed the factory differential, if you tried to filp it the jack shaft would go through the top of the oil pan to the other side.
I made an aluminum adapter plate blocking off the rear of the TH425 where the diff was and welded a aluminum Ford 9" pinion support to the plate. So now I have something like a flange/yolk coming out to attach the diff.

I have 4 different differentials that I can try to use, figuring out which one is best to use is where Im at now. They range form BMW, Porsche, Ford front IFS and a custom diff thats I kinda put together from different parts. This coming week I hope to have a solid plan on how and which diff Im going to use.

Forgot- I really want an automatic, Im tired of shifting gears so the Porsche trans is a no go...

As progress is made I will post up some more pics.....

Last edited by tonypaul; 12-01-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Launching!

wow looks sweet..like it its different
Old 12-02-2012, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow it looks killer man
Old 12-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Staging Lane

that is all kinds off badass
Old 12-02-2012, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

I've always wanted a countach kitt car. I liked the prova ones. What's one cost these days.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Rick Speed
I've always wanted a countach kitt car. I liked the prova ones. What's one cost these days.
LS in a Lamborghini Diablo Roaster-th.jpg

Just joking!
Starting from scratch with a couple old nonrunning $200 Fiero's to completly finished I got about $22k in it. But I did everything myself except the front end alignment, so no professional labor cost saved me tons of money. Also I got alot of great deals on alot of the higher doller items like the sbc crate engine, tires/rims/glass,ect.

In most cases- a kit like this start to finish- runs $30k-$50k (sometimes higher) start to finish. Sometimes its cheaper to find a damaged real Lamborghini and fix it, but parts are stupidly expensive.

I like having what I got instead of the real thing, I can drive it like a $22k car and not a $122k car....

Thanks guys for all the kind words! It dont look like much now in the LS engine area, but if it looks half as good in the end as it does in my mind~ its gonna be killer!
Old 12-02-2012, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tonypaul
Im running twin turbos on flipped up 2011 Camaro exhaust manifolds so the exhaust will go up instead of straight down and then back then down under the car.
I've been thinking of doing the same thing on my build, but I have no idea how well the exhaust ports on the head will line up with the manifolds upside down. Any chance you have already done a mock-up? I would like to see how well this works.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

Thats a killer build man.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

Very nice looking car you're building.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:10 PM
Restricted User

very interesting!!! subscribed!
Old 10-23-2017, 02:11 PM
Teching In

Resurrecting an old thread with hopes the OP see it.

How did the project go? Any more pictures of the engine/trans mating go? I just picked up a iron 6.0 and was going to start this swap also for the back of my Toyota Pickup.

Quick Reply: LS in a Lamborghini Diablo Roaster