Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

C6 Z06 vs. CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 08:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C6 Z06 vs. CTS-V

On the way to work yesterday morning I ran into a new Cadillac CTS-V. It was the 2 door model, black metallic. Once traffic cleared I slowed down a little to get next to him and signaled if he wanted to run. He nodded yeah, and punched it, by the time I down shifted he had about a car, maybe a little more, on me. Once I grabbed the desired gear I immediately closed the distance and put several car lengths between us 'till I shut down at about 120mph. I slowed back down to get next to him to exchange a thumbs up for the run and then had to take my exit.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good kill. expected though?

there are some nasty CTS-V's up here by us.

when that car was only making 525 it went 11.1 full weight and novice driver lol
Old 12-01-2012, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good kill! Is your car stock?

TonyGXP, has that silver V run since he made 640?
Old 12-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Launching!

Good kill
Old 12-01-2012, 01:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Good kill. Yeah his car is stock.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Good kill! Is your car stock?

TonyGXP, has that silver V run since he made 640?
Friday the 7th...i'll report back similar car built by that shop went 10.80 with 560 whp (remember the mustangs read lower)
Old 12-01-2012, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by TonyGXP
Friday the 7th...i'll report back similar car built by that shop went 10.80 with 560 whp (remember the mustangs read lower)
Sounds good.

Mustang Dyno's seem to read all over the place. Way too dependant on operator input and easy to scam with them. You gotta really have a trustworthy dyno operator with those.

Last edited by ScreaminRedZ; 12-01-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds good.

Mustang Dyno's seem to read all over the place. Way too dependant on operator input and easy to scam with them. You gotta really have a trustworthy dyno operator with those.
Dynojets seem to read all over the place from what I've seen. Seem to read higher too.

The dyno Tony's talking about is the Mustang Dyno at TuneTime Performance, which reads low as sin. LOL

Whatever numbers come off that dyno, you can be guaranteed that those are at LEAST the wheel horsepower for that car. LOL

I think I saw your black G8 there when I came in for a tune about 2 months back. All black G8, some red s10 with an ls swap, some black and red camaro ss they had there too while I was there.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by odthetruth
Dynojets seem to read all over the place from what I've seen.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that.

Originally Posted by odthetruth
Seem to read higher too.
I've seen the opposite happen too.

Last edited by ScreaminRedZ; 12-01-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds good.

The real dyno is the drag strip IMO
Old 12-01-2012, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
The real dyno is the drag strip IMO
A drag strip can show zero gain due to weather or driver, but the gains will show up on the dyno. I prefer both methods of testing rather than one over the other.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

A drag strip can show zero gain due to weather or driver, but the gains will show up on the dyno. I prefer both methods of testing rather than one over the other.
That is definitely true as well. I think my belief is due to the mind set of a lot of guys in the Des Moines area.

They make their cars make a lot of power and chase that dyno number but then they still run on stock suspension/street tires and wonder why their cars perform subpar for their power levels.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:41 PM
11 Second Club

I agree, all dynos are dependent on a trustworthy operator.. beware of getting the "I want the highest HP numbers man!" syndrome when getting upgrades.. Because if they don't pull it off they can definitely manipulate them. it will however be exposed at the dragstrip when the mph isn't there.

That mustang dyno i have run on since they purchased it new back in '06 makes alot of number hunters very unhappy lol... smiling after they put up some big mph's after though. then they understand it's not the "big number" but the increase over what they showed before the mods/tune.

Granted the load bearing dyno doesn't show the same percentage gains/increases as a Dynojet (stock vs post mods) due to the static roller vs the increasing resistance of the magnetic brake on a mustang (strong enough to stall an 18 wheeler), but whatever shop should explain the difference to the customer. i know matt does to his.

I'd rather put a legit number down than an inflated one and be disappointed expecting a higher trap mph (the true indicator of hp)..

my whp vs mph speak for themselves.. plenty of 475 whp G8's out there sure aren't running 121mph on stock gears/converter, at 4210 lbs (with driver).
Old 12-01-2012, 09:48 PM

121 is what I'd expect for 475 rwhp with a good curve (ie stroker motor). The amount of maggied G8's making 450+ and trapping 115ish makes me

Will you have the gears and converter in for the 7th? Can't wait to see what you run!
Old 12-01-2012, 09:59 PM
11 Second Club

121 is what I'd expect for 475 rwhp with a good curve (ie stroker motor). The amount of maggied G8's making 450+ and trapping 115ish makes me
that's because they're just heat pumps lol

NA.... FTW i ran this car back to back and it actually picked up .1 and a mph lol

Will you have the gears and converter in for the 7th? Can't wait to see what you run!
you and me both lol

unable to get anything new done to mine since last outing. went to Disney, got stuck another week due to Sandy, then came back and been working 90hrs a week since. i just now got back to a regular schedule yesterday.. sucked but i have all of my possessions and they are dry unlike many (no one i know was hurt which is of the utmost importance obviously who gives a **** about a car). had to fix a couple fences and cut some 3ft thick trees up but i'll take that over needing a new house anyday.

before i run her again I have to build a custom 4" CAI (still have the lame K&N cai the car had on it when i purchased it with the blown engine), need to port the TB, put the gears in it, change the front struts these Pedder's suck, right front is blown or broke not sure which until i get it apart.

Haven't decided if i am doing the converter yet i may run with just the above then next time out do the converter. it never ends.

I can't wait to see what the silver V runs... should go goooooooood
Old 12-01-2012, 10:13 PM

I think I have the dreaded ball joint issue. Haven't checked it yet, but there's play in the steering. I'm also gonna go with gears before a stall. I think it will make the car more fun all around, since I'll just be going with a mild stall down the road.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:27 PM
11 Second Club

I think I have the dreaded ball joint issue. Haven't checked it yet, but there's play in the steering. I'm also gonna go with gears before a stall. I think it will make the car more fun all around, since I'll just be going with a mild stall down the road.
there's a kit, check the g8 forum for the number or google. i posted it back when i got mine on the road a few months ago. separately they were big $$$$$ but the kit was only a few hundred. what a difference after the new control arms/ball joints. get the kit, do them all. took me maybe 1.5hrs to swap them all out.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

before i run her again I have to build a custom 4" CAI (still have the lame K&N cai the car had on it when i purchased it with the blown engine)
A blown engine on an 08-09 car... Damn! lol
Old 12-01-2012, 10:42 PM

there's a kit, check the g8 forum for the number or google. i posted it back when i got mine on the road a few months ago. separately they were big $$$$$ but the kit was only a few hundred. what a difference after the new control arms/ball joints. get the kit, do them all. took me maybe 1.5hrs to swap them all out.
Thanks, I'll do it up!
Old 12-01-2012, 10:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
A blown engine on an 08-09 car... Damn! lol
long story short the original owner spun a bearing grooved the crank, after having 4 DOD lifters fail and he kept driving it till it stopped

if it weren't for people like this car's original owner people like me wouldn't have 121mph G8.

car is much happier in it's new home trust me lol

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 vs. CTS-V