Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e Rebuild: whose the best to go with

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e Rebuild: whose the best to go with

I need to get my 4l60e rebuilt and have been doing some research and can't seem to find a good vendor. So far I've looked at mad dog transmission, rpm, Flt, and performa built. I have heard the good and the bad stories about a few of these shops so in your opinion who would you suggest. I'm looking for a good dependable unit that will hold up to 700rwhp without failing a few months after its installed. Any recommendations will be appreciated.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

upgrade to a 80 or swap to a T56
Old 12-04-2012, 10:59 PM
Teching In

I was thinking about an 80, but to do so would I have to modify anything or would it be a direct replacement.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by swoop1o
I need to get my 4l60e rebuilt and have been doing some research and can't seem to find a good vendor. So far I've looked at mad dog transmission, rpm, Flt, and performa built. I have heard the good and the bad stories about a few of these shops so in your opinion who would you suggest. I'm looking for a good dependable unit that will hold up to 700rwhp without failing a few months after its installed. Any recommendations will be appreciated.
4l60E and dependable at 700rwhp isn't the easiest thing to achieve. They certainly can be made to handle that but....... Everything needs to be absolutely perfect!!! What is it in and what is the power? With "E" series transmissions is if the tune isnt exactly perfect it WILL chew itself up no matter how well it is built, been there learned that lesson the hard way many times....
Old 12-04-2012, 11:13 PM
Teching In

its in a 99camaro and the power on the motor is around 490 and on nitrous around 640. I dont plan on spraying it all the time but when I do I would like it to hold up pretty well. Besides the car is driven less then 6k miles a year so I wont be beating on it too much
Old 12-04-2012, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

I was thinking about an 80, but to do so would I have to modify anything or would it be a direct replacement.
not much about that swap that is "direct"

Depending on what its in the flexplate is an issue that is addressable either way. The 80 is bigger around and longer. Output shaft on a 60 is 27 spline the 80 has 32. The electrical is different but can be made to work properly by a few different methods with some tinkering.... on a positive note the 80 is a bunch stronger right out of the gate than a 60.

Last edited by carlsonauto; 12-04-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Sounds like I'll stick with the 4l60e I dont feel like dealing with the headache of trying to get it work properly lol.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

its in a 99camaro and the power on the motor is around 490 and on nitrous around 640. I dont plan on spraying it all the time but when I do I would like it to hold up pretty well. Besides the car is driven less then 6k miles a year so I wont be beating on it too much
That makes a huge difference, nitrous is extremely hard on parts in comparison to say a turbo or two.. Still a 4l60 in that is a doable thing it just needs to be perfect or it will eat itself up.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Teching In

Well im going to hope whoever I choose to build it does get it right because Im going to push it to its limits to see if it will hold up.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

rpm & flt are the best of the best when it comes to the 4l60......they might be a little more expensive than the other builders but for a good reason,they work & work well!

good luck!
Old 12-05-2012, 12:30 AM
Teching In

Yea so far I haven't came across any bad reviews from either company and FLT prices arent really that bad for their level 4 transmission only thing that kind of sucks is I have to ship back a core to them and im not sure if they charge shipping or not on their units.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Yea so far I haven't came across any bad reviews from either company and FLT prices arent really that bad for their level 4 transmission only thing that kind of sucks is I have to ship back a core to them and im not sure if they charge shipping or not on their units.
They do charge shipping but they send whatever u get in a big hard plastic case with the transmission strapped down. You'll have 30 days to ship your core back and they won't charge you the core charge.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:10 AM

Received 390 Likes on 299 Posts

I have looked over the FLT transmission choices and recently had discussions with several performance builders. First, with 700 rwhp, I would highly suggest at least their Level-5 trans as it has the 5-pinion planetaries which are an important upgrade for that power level.
As has been mentioned, Nitrous is much harder on a trans than Turbo/Supercharging because it kicks in instantly. I've been told this can break the output shaft and you should therefore consider the Level-5 with the optional $450 Billet output shaft. At that point, for an additional 500 you can get the FLT Level-7 trans which adds a billet input shaft.
As usual, just my opinion.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:01 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by mrvedit
I have looked over the FLT transmission choices and recently had discussions with several performance builders. First, with 700 rwhp, I would highly suggest at least their Level-5 trans as it has the 5-pinion planetaries which are an important upgrade for that power level.
As has been mentioned, Nitrous is much harder on a trans than Turbo/Supercharging because it kicks in instantly. I've been told this can break the output shaft and you should therefore consider the Level-5 with the optional $450 Billet output shaft. At that point, for an additional 500 you can get the FLT Level-7 trans which adds a billet input shaft.
As usual, just my opinion.
At this point I would seriously think about going 4L80. not saying the lvl7 isn't a great trans just another option to consider.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Teching In

Ok cool it looks like FLT has me bought now I just need to do some more saving since this level 7 is gonna cost over 3k. However has anyone dealt with performabuilt they have some cheaper units but I've seen some horror stories also so i'm kind of hesitant on their units.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

That's the usual consensus with performabuilt, some have good experiences with them some not so good
Old 12-05-2012, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok cool it looks like FLT has me bought now I just need to do some more saving since this level 7 is gonna cost over 3k. However has anyone dealt with performabuilt they have some cheaper units but I've seen some horror stories also so i'm kind of hesitant on their units.

we been down that road, and ended up with an FLT after all that mess..

like i said in my first post,
rpm & flt are the best of the best when it comes to the 4l60......they might be a little more expensive than the other builders but for a good reason,they work & work well!

good luck!
Old 12-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Yes and trust me I know its always better to do it right the first time lol. I don't want to be paying to ship a defective unit back due to it failing after a short period of time.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:06 PM

Received 390 Likes on 299 Posts

Yes and trust me I know its always better to do it right the first time lol. I don't want to be paying to ship a defective unit back due to it failing after a short period of time.
Yes, doing it right the first time will often save money in the long run. The FLT Level-7 looks like an excellent value to me; I have spent that much on just special parts to experiment with.

Mike13 is correct that a 4L80E will cost less and handle much more power, but that doesn't include the cost of a good converter, tunnel and other mods, PCM reprogramming and more. The FLT will glide right in. (All puns intended.)
Old 12-05-2012, 05:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would recommend giving RPM Transmissions a call. I've have always been impressed with the builds they have done for us.

Quick Reply: 4l60e Rebuild: whose the best to go with