Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

98 Trans Am Gauge Cluster Removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Trans Am Gauge Cluster Removal

So my tachometer always reads at 7,000 rpms, and my mechanic diagnosed it as a cluster failure. I have obtained a working cluster and would like to replace it myself. The guy I bought it from made it sound so easy, but from the vague details I've gathered around the internet, it doesn't sound quite so. Anyone know exactly how it can be done and what needs to be pulled before the actual removal of the cluster? Thanks!
Old 12-06-2012, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

A few screws in the surround, then it comes off.

On the cluster there are 4 VERY small bolts holding it in.

Remove those, pull it out and tilt it forwards..... Be careful not to scratch the face on teh way out/in!
Old 12-06-2012, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

I also heard about tilting the steering column down or even dropping it beyond the tilt. Also removing the dash trim... Is all that necessary?
Old 12-06-2012, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

No...just tilt it down as much as you can and be careful!
Old 12-06-2012, 10:30 PM
TECH Addict

I've done everything but actually remove the cluster itself, to get to the cluster drop the steering wheel to its bottom then pull the bezel that surrounds the cluster off, Its ALL clips, you will now find yourself asking, where the f**k does this damn fog light switch disconnect at, because it is preventing you from lifting the bezel out of the way, what I did from this point was to pop this little black trim piece that is on the backside (bulge) of the turn signal switch on the steering column off (you will find the bezel pinched against it due to the fog light switch), with that out of the way the bezel should just squeeze by without feeling like its gonna break in 2, with it out of the way the cluster is now fair game, pull the screws/bolts holding it down (typically 4 total on most cars) and lift out.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

the foglight wiring connection is wrapped up and hard to find......pull the wire and you will find it......unwrap and disconnect
Old 12-07-2012, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

if you really want to save couple buck get a rpm motor and swap it do couple soldering GL
Old 12-07-2012, 11:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I changed one the other day on my friends 2002 camaro
Don't know of its the same as a bird ..
But took me about 15 min ...it was a tight squeeze but only the bezel had to be removed...airbag light was on after .
Had to learn the part # in the Sdm or something their was a special function for it on my tech2 scan tool

Last edited by im-not-guilty; 12-11-2012 at 05:20 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by im-not-guilty
I changed one the other day on my friends 2002 camaro
Don't know of its the same as a bird ..
But took me about 15 min ...it was a tight squeeze but only the bezel had to be removed...airbag light was on after .
Had to learn the part # in the Sam or something their was a special function for it on my tech2 scan tool
same process but the dash and bezel are a different shape so that may affect what it takes to get the bezel out of the way.

Quick Reply: 98 Trans Am Gauge Cluster Removal