Sponsored by:

1972 Nova ls Swap Electrical Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1972 Nova ls Swap Electrical Question

Hey guys and gals,
I am in the middle of resto modding my nova. I just bought a wrecked 99 silverado. all complete with keys and yada yada.5.3l with 4l60. Well my plan is a super budget build.
I have pulled every wire off of the truck and plan to use it on my nova, from headlight to tail light. My questions are.
1. I want to delete all emission,s. Can this be done. and can someone point me in the direction to do so.

2. I am not going to even atempt at the ABS, so will i be okay to unpin them wires and delete them from the ecu?

I have more questions to follow but i want to keep it simple starting out. Thanks .
Old 12-17-2012, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Id buy an American Autowire harness for the car and strip the truck engine harness down to the bare essentials and power it up off the AA fuseblock. You could use all the truck stuff like your thinking but it will be a giant mess. IMO.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1NOVA
Id buy an American Autowire harness for the car and strip the truck engine harness down to the bare essentials and power it up off the AA fuseblock. You could use all the truck stuff like your thinking but it will be a giant mess. IMO.
I'd like to be able to go that route, but I don't have the funds. The other reason for keeping the wiring is that I'm going to use the bcm and truck cluster. Thanks
Old 12-17-2012, 12:17 PM
Teching In

It'll be a NovaRado..lol
Old 12-17-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

How bad is the original wiring harness in your Nova? Personally if it's decent, I would keep it. There are several fuse boxes in the Silverado that are going to be hard to find room for and mount, not to mention how many splices you're going to end up with by using the whole harness. Running the BCM alone, intigrating it into your stock harness isn't hard, but it's more wiring. Also, you're going to need the headlight switch if you're wanting the automatic headlights to work. As for the emission stuff and ABS, you can just remove the wires and have it tuned for no emissions.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
How bad is the original wiring harness in your Nova? Personally if it's decent, I would keep it. There are several fuse boxes in the Silverado that are going to be hard to find room for and mount, not to mention how many splices you're going to end up with by using the whole harness. Running the BCM alone, intigrating it into your stock harness isn't hard, but it's more wiring. Also, you're going to need the headlight switch if you're wanting the automatic headlights to work. As for the emission stuff and ABS, you can just remove the wires and have it tuned for no emissions.
Thanks for the reply. I dont have the existing harness for the nova. It was all hacked up when i got it. Someone tried to make the car a drag car.
Ok i still have the truck headlight switch, so i can figure on grafting it in somehow, cause the auto lights would be cool. I understand its going to be alot of work, but being on a super tight budget with a baby on the way, i guess i have the time...lol
As far as the emisions, i can remove all that, plug the holes in the intake and such and then just remove the wires and reprgram the ecm?

I do need to keep the upstream 02's right? Thanks for all the help.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ls Swap Electrical Question

i am useing all harness out of a truck but not the fuses boxes will use aftermarket plan on having all acc off of truck auto lites,inside lites,auto start,tpms,cluster, will use lite switch mounted under dash and senser in top of dash with auto lites will never need to use the switch, all lite will work from bcm. if you need more info pm me have most wiring Schematics for trucks
Old 12-18-2012, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 62n62
i am useing all harness out of a truck but not the fuses boxes will use aftermarket plan on having all acc off of truck auto lites,inside lites,auto start,tpms,cluster, will use lite switch mounted under dash and senser in top of dash with auto lites will never need to use the switch, all lite will work from bcm. if you need more info pm me have most wiring Schematics for trucks
Thanks so much. Ill be sure to pick your brain on this. Pm sent
Old 12-19-2012, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can be done and you will have a better system than original. I did it using a 4th gen Camaro harness. It did take a while but I have VATS, the factory alarm, etc. Shoot me a PM and I will send you my wiring spreadsheet to help get you started. The ABS is possible but it takes a lot of room and you will have to get the ATS front spindles so you can run sensors in the front. It was not worth it to me.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 69 Ghost
It can be done and you will have a better system than original. I did it using a 4th gen Camaro harness. It did take a while but I have VATS, the factory alarm, etc. Shoot me a PM and I will send you my wiring spreadsheet to help get you started. The ABS is possible but it takes a lot of room and you will have to get the ATS front spindles so you can run sensors in the front. It was not worth it to me.
Hey thanks for the help. Ill Pm you. Thanks.
Also ill be taking pictures along the way and doing a thread for those that would be interested.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sapperranger04
Thanks for the reply. I dont have the existing harness for the nova. It was all hacked up when i got it. Someone tried to make the car a drag car.
Ok i still have the truck headlight switch, so i can figure on grafting it in somehow, cause the auto lights would be cool. I understand its going to be alot of work, but being on a super tight budget with a baby on the way, i guess i have the time...lol
As far as the emisions, i can remove all that, plug the holes in the intake and such and then just remove the wires and reprgram the ecm?

I do need to keep the upstream 02's right? Thanks for all the help.
So your nova doesn't even have a headlight switch? How large is your budget? Consider buying a painless harness for the vehicle and another for the LS swap. Do no fool yourself into thinking it can be done on the cheap. You need at least 2-5K if you cannot fabricate yourself.

Put a SBC/TH350 in it and enjoy it until you can afford to make the switch.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:39 AM
Teching In

lol no I have the factory headlight switch. I have all that stuff I'm just trying to go a different route to try something more modern.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you get all the schematics you can do it. It won't be easy, but it can be done. One thing you won't like about using the truck cluster is the ABS light. It's going to stay on all the time.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
If you get all the schematics you can do it. It won't be easy, but it can be done. One thing you won't like about using the truck cluster is the ABS light. It's going to stay on all the time.
Can the ABS be tuned out in the ecm?
Old 12-20-2012, 06:38 AM
Teching In

Here is a link to my build, incase anyone wants to see it from the begining. Thanks
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...l#post16992875

Quick Reply: 1972 Nova ls Swap Electrical Question