Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need wire harness help

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need wire harness help

Ok after some serious thought I decided I am either gonna make this work or destroy my convertible in the process So at this point I am all in.

Currently I have an 04 ls1 vette motor it's a low mileage motor that is complete from throttle body to batwing oil pan. (yes I do know I will need to find an oil pan for this project) I also have the pedal and the ecm from the same car.

now for the twist...........

After reading about Sam's 69 Trans Am on performance years I decided I am gonna also put the 04 gto Dash in my car like he did.

I can't read this thread enough!
http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...d.php?t=629210

So here is my current conundrum. Since the ls1 is from an 04 vette and the computer is from an 04 vette and the dash/acc etc are from an 04 gto can I literally turn this into a plug and play buy getting 04 vette/gto harnesses? I thought I saw somewhere that the 05 gto uses a different operating system to communicate then the 04 because of it being an ls2. but using the 04 stuff should keep the operating system the same and the plug ins the same I am hoping. This seems like the most practical and affordable way to go IMHO but then again I have never done a ls swap before.

Thanks for the help. It was important enough for me to come here and ask the guys who have the most knowledge of these things. While I may be knew to swaps I am not afraid to try nor am I new to cars. wiring however SCARES the life outta me haha.

ERIC

P.S. if anyone is in central Cali and doesn't mind a ton of questions lol pm me your number. I am sure I will have tons of em! Will be looking for parts to do this too!
Old 12-21-2012, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It should be no problem. I would look for a vette engine harness and wire the dash as a GTO. If you can get a body and engine bay harness then you can convert as needed at the connectors. I looked into converting the dash but decided to keep the interior stock looking instead with a full set of gauges. You can shoot me a PM and I can give you some info that may help....
Old 12-21-2012, 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is always better to get everything you can from the source.. mixing and matching parts from different cars and years can turn in to a mightmare.. but it is doable..

Just remember, you are not the first to take this one with limited Knowledge and/or skills.. but you know what they say. .if it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger..! just research through the many build Threads here on LS1Tech.. then start asking question.. but keep them short and to the point. .you will get better and directly related answers.

Where are you located here in Calif.. I am in the Nocal, SF East Bay area..

BC
Old 12-23-2012, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys, I'm located bout in the middle of ya both haha. I'm in Fresno. Found an 04 underdash harness from a member here. Still lookin for a engine harness so thats kinda open. Obviously the dash fab is the more complex process so that is where I am starting on.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you have the TAC module to go with the vette harness? If not, plan on paying up to $400 for one. They are hard to find and expensive when you do. 04 was the last year for that type of tac module.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
Do you have the TAC module to go with the vette harness? If not, plan on paying up to $400 for one. They are hard to find and expensive when you do. 04 was the last year for that type of tac module.
No harness at all yet, I have the pedal for sure but idk if I have the module got the vette computer also
Old 01-02-2013, 12:34 PM
Teching In

No module
Old 01-03-2013, 07:00 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you dont have the tac module, LS1MCSS is correct, they are expensive (we have them for $450 new). I would recommend going DBC at this point unless you are dead set on keeping the DBW.

Good points above on the gage cluster, you may want to get the schematics for the vette and GTO to make sure both are compatible.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 01-03-2013, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Jon, I am getting a 04 gto harness as well as the dash gauges etc, I am trying basically to slip it into the 69 as a one piece (so to speak) replacement for the vintage unit. I am hoping that maybe by doing that I might be able to avoid some electrical issues. Does the TAC have to come from a vette? what if I find one from say the same 04 GTO? I know vettes tend to get better stuff being GM's flagship auto. I am not set on dbw but wanna make sure that the engine will preform with the electronics properly. Not against buying an aftermarket engine harness for the motor if it makes the underdash and gauges function correctly. OEM harnesses are still pricey and to me it seem that people like yourself do a much better job in tailoring the harness to the custom needs of the car (ie the deletion of anti theft etc). However that raises another question, does that even need to be deleted or altered if using the entire electronics from the 04? Sorry I am trying to keep this short and sweet but I tend to run on and on and on. Everyone's advice and expertise is GREATLY APPRECIATED! as electronics are the one area of a car that confuse me and I have no idea what I am doing.
Eric
Old 01-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Teching In

Jon I sent you and email direct..........
Eric

Quick Reply: Need wire harness help