Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

What really needs replaced/Done if you lost a bearing.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 06:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What really needs replaced/Done if you lost a bearing.

Like it says....I'm curious what a seasoned engine builder would want to do for a simple bearing loss and no hard parts failure on say a extremely low mileage forged engine?
Old 12-21-2012, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Wow. Thought we had some engine guys here...guess not.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

To truely do it right it needs to come clear apart and all the oil passages need cleaned out. If it has an oil cooler in needs to be at a minumun flushed out.If it is a rod i would have the crank measured for proper specs and turned ,polished,or replaced and the rods inspected as well.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are loosing bearings you need to look at your dimensions and oiling system.

Tim
Old 12-22-2012, 07:25 AM
On The Tree

Coming apart was a Given. I suspect an oil pump bypass failure....I was more referring to what can be cleaned and re-used.

I know Ill need machine work and new bearing, checking clearances. What about Rings? (total Seal AP w/2500 miles) Can my oil pump be cleaned and re-used? (ported Precision pump already) Lifters?

I caught the loss in pressure quickly, but not qucikly enough to have not caused damage. I am just trying to figure out what will have to be replaced vs. re-usable. I dont want to throw money away for nothing as I built this motor right in the first place, its just unfortunate that it had some sort of oil failure. Im sure my hard launches all year at the racetrack didnt help matters.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

I would get a pump that has a different bypass.

I use one with a ballbearing instead of a piston. Chances of it becoming stuck are far less.

Car Shop Inc sells this pump under the Schumanns name.

Tim
Old 12-23-2012, 12:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes new lifters are a must so is a pump IMHO. So are rings since its out why not upgrade or replace? I wouldn't cheap out, do it once and do it right or pay twice, Just saying bud.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:05 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

You need to take it to a reputable machinist to teardown and inspect the parts. It's foolish to rely on the internet engine builders with as little information as you've provided.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, I guess these vendors that build motors daily and guys that work for them who frequent this board aren't qualified.

Once again, there's not much in this motor to upgrade, nothing was stock outside the crank and block, so all I was wondering was what "hAS" to be replaced vs. cleaned and checked. I can't see an oil pump that's simple to disassemble and clean needing replacement at the mileage this one has, but I wasn't sure. I guess I shouldn't have made a thread, it's quite obvious to me now that everuones opinions are different, and the guys I hoped might respond, didn't.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:44 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by MattKatz
Yeah, I guess these vendors that build motors daily and guys that work for them who frequent this board aren't qualified.

Once again, there's not much in this motor to upgrade, nothing was stock outside the crank and block, so all I was wondering was what "hAS" to be replaced vs. cleaned and checked. I can't see an oil pump that's simple to disassemble and clean needing replacement at the mileage this one has, but I wasn't sure. I guess I shouldn't have made a thread, it's quite obvious to me now that everuones opinions are different, and the guys I hoped might respond, didn't.
It's not that they're not qualified, it's that they're not psychic. Anyone can give you their opinion as to what must be replaced, but even something as simple as a "bearing failure" can be more destructive than you might think.

Originally Posted by MattKatz
...I built this motor right in the first place...
Obviously, it was not built right. Something was wrong or installed/assembled incorrectly as parts don't fail with ~2500 miles. Good luck with the rebuild, I hope you find out what went wrong.

Last edited by KCS; 12-24-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I would say that considering You've had 1 pressure bypass issue already ,,,,,,I undrstand that it has only 2500 miles on it and that is even more reason IMO to replace that oil pump and I would certainly check out the 1 suggested 4 or 5 posts before . That to Me sounds like the best $100-150 You could spend at this point aside from the obvious ,,,,,bearings , rings, cleaning the sh_t out of the block n heads n ,,,,,,,,,,,,etc . I am going to check out the prev suggested pump and if I can swing it I'll buy 1 .
Old 12-25-2012, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KCS
It's not that they're not qualified, it's that they're not psychic. Anyone can give you their opinion as to what must be replaced, but even something as simple as a "bearing failure" can be more destructive than you might think.

Obviously, it was not built right. Something was wrong or installed/assembled incorrectly as parts don't fail with ~2500 miles. Good luck with the rebuild, I hope you find out what went wrong.
Actually....The fact that I left the stock TBSS Pan on it unmodified probably didnt help the engine since I am AWD. These pans are notorious for uncovering the pickup on hard launches, but at the time I built this last year I didnt care for some of the overly expensive options and watching logs showed I kept oil pressure on launch. Now I didnt log every launch, so nothing is to say It didnt come uncovered and start the process. I dont think it was a build issue at all, but I could be mistaken. I wont have that problem this time as I am going to go ahead and just covert to a 2WD setup since its a fair weather toy vehicle for me anyway. I didnt mean to sound like a Dick, I just expected a few more responses on a site with this following and amount of people who frequent. I know what I need to do, so ill get it done.
Thanks for the responses that were made, Ill take it all in stride.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch
I would get a pump that has a different bypass.

I use one with a ballbearing instead of a piston. Chances of it becoming stuck are far less.

Car Shop Inc sells this pump under the Schumanns name.

Tim
Personally Id like to completely bypass the oil bypass relief. Someone explain to me why ANY ENGINE needs to bypass oil and not send it through the motor which would only cause damage. Im not sure I have ever understood the situation where this would be neccessary and how it would ever be helpful instead of harmful.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

That's a good question and possibly a good option . The only thing I've ever heard is that too high of oil pressure can cause oil leaks ,,,,,,,,,,,but I think I'd rather have some oil leaks as opposed to some spun bearings ,,,,,,,,,maybe google it ,,,,,I'm sure there's some good info there
Old 12-27-2012, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

You have to have a bypass.

These pumps when rpm it put to them will move some oil.

I run a pump that has alot of inlet mods to it. Some things done to the rotor. porting and a check ball bypass rather than a piston.

If I don't let the engine get up to temp and the oil temp get over 170 mine will make over 100 psi at 1800 rpm.

I have a 60 psi spring in the bypass and it still goes over this. But the extra volume of oil is needed to keep the engine happy at 7500

Tim
Old 12-28-2012, 07:29 AM
On The Tree

I've looked into that pump that was suggested and I may actually use a version of that in both the motors I am currently working on. Would you care to inform or share with me some of the mods you have used gray hatch?
Old 12-28-2012, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Best thing to do is contact Tim at the car shop he would be better to help you out with what you need for you car. He spec my stuff out for me

Tim

Quick Reply: What really needs replaced/Done if you lost a bearing.