Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buying used should I rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 03:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default buying used should I rebuild?

I am buying a used FLT level 7 from a guy on here. . Has been behind a 550whp nitrous machine for 3 years, 15k miles, supposedly 20ish passes. Had a good cooler, fluid wasnt burned, worked great on takeout.

Im always pressed for time so im leaning toward having it freshened and being definitely done for a good long while. Problem is FLT wont even ballpark or give me even a best case worst case price on a rebuild without having it there and open. That is not how I roll. a reputable shop imo can give you a price range. Anyway, if I also cant get a guess from RPM on freshening it I think I might roll the dice and put it in.

What would you guys do? (Car is just 450whp NA) trans is overkill but came at a good price.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:56 PM

Received 426 Likes on 325 Posts

I would use it as-is. FLT has a top-of-the-line reputation.

I also would not take it to a local builder unless they were very experienced with all of the latest after-market performance parts. I have a very good idea of what is inside an FLT and it would confuse someone who is only used to rebuilding "stock" transmissions. For example, if they replaced the separator plate, they would likely not drill it correctly and that could really throw the rebuild off, possibly even lead to premature failure. When the time comes, if ever, you really should send it back to FLT.
OK, that is just my opinion.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

I would only go flt or rpm. If a place cant give me best case/worst case price on a rebuild then imo their reputation doesnt mean anything. Who advertises "great products at unknown prices?" Best case its an indication of laziness. I might just sell this and go with an 80 from jakes. It will depend on what rpm says. The more I think about it the more I think I dont want this thing in my car.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:48 PM

I've never seen a hint of anyone claiming that FLT (or RPM or Performabuilt) ripped them off or overcharged for a rebuild.
Put yourself in their shoes. Someone wants to send one of your transmission back for a rebuilt and wants a price. You have no idea whether it needs just a basic rebuild with new frictions or a bunch of new hard parts. I'm confident that if you were in their shoes you would not give out a fixed price for a rebuild either. Its almost like calling a mechanic and saying "my car is broken, how much to fix it" and expecting a fixed price without the mechanic carefully examining it.
I'm certainly not trying to disagree, just giving my opinion.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

If the guy is asking for a re-build there should be some kind of re-build price no?
Its not like he is calling them up saying..."hey! its broken so fix it! and how much will it be?!" I think having a ball park price for a "worse case rebuild" should be reasonable.

Ftl or rpm would be my choices also but im a little surprised to hear this if this is exactly how the convo went.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

I agree with you 100% which is why I asked for a range. I made that explicitly. Clear on multiple occasions. I bid multi tens of millions of dollar contracts and can and do provide a range at the outset...with caveats where necessary. That is all I am asking for.

I I am also coming to the mechanic with something that is NOT broken. I am not asking because I am worried about being ripped off. I am asking because I only have so much money to spend. . .and to repeat, the trans was fine on take out...the only hard parts I expect to be bid are the ones I specified in my request. the obvious caveat being if something is messed up or on the verge of failing.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I actually never sprayed the 416ci so the car only ever saw a max of 600rwhp with my 346ci and a 150shot.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by transam69230
I actually never sprayed the 416ci so the car only ever saw a max of 600rwhp with my 346ci and a 150shot.
No worries man our deal is the same and I'm not bashing anything to do with you or the sale. I got a good straight up deal. Shipping etc is still the same. The only reason im considering the rebuild is once I put this in I want to be done for sure with this car.

To be clear I havent gotten a response from RPM, I emailed them just today and have never spoken to anyone there. My frustration is solely with FLT. Im hoping its just the holidays as Chuck said they were busy.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:03 AM

You are correct that FLT should be able to give you a range such as $xxxx to rebuild replacing only normal wear parts (frcitions, steels, band), or $yyyy to also replace bushings and repair valve body, plus standard costs to replace worn out "hard" parts.
Sorry, I somehow thought you expected a fixed rebuild price; I see now that you are very reasonable in your request.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mrvedit
You are correct that FLT should be able to give you a range such as $xxxx to rebuild replacing only normal wear parts (frcitions, steels, band), or $yyyy to also replace bushings and repair valve body, plus standard costs to replace worn out "hard" parts.
Sorry, I somehow thought you expected a fixed rebuild price; I see now that you are very reasonable in your request.
Thats cool man, I understood where you were coming from. Fyi, your opinion on running it is one I take seriously. Ryan (the seller) also thinks I should run it without rebuilding right now so I may just do that and sidestep the drama. But, if I could get new clutches, low roller etc, and a smarttech input drum for <1k I would be very tempted...
Old 12-23-2012, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Call chuck at FLT up and see what he says. Ik they can do a refresh on their units after the warrantee is up but since you aren't the original owner of it idk if they'd do it or not for the price they offer to the person who oringinly purchased it.

Last edited by mjs1012; 12-23-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mjs1012
Call chuck at FLT up and see what he says. Ik they can do a refresh on their units after the warrantee is up but since you aren't the original owner of it idk if they'd do it or not for the price they offer to the person who oringinly purchased it.
Been there, done that 3x and all he will say is 250+parts. That is their rebuild policy...which is fine except he wont give me ANY idea on what parts it might need, so I have no idea what it could end up costing me...which is unacceptable.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Would you rebuild it to the specs it has now or to a less extreme unit?
Old 12-24-2012, 07:54 AM
TECH Resident

Ideally I would like to keep it level 7, add a smartech input drum and replace all wear items and worn or suggested hard parts. Its overkill, but then again it is a 4l60.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:23 PM
TECH Resident

I heard back from TJ at RPM today. He gave me a range but let me know they probably wouldn't do a smarttech input drum because they've not tested them. Range was $600-~~2k.

I appreciate them getting back to me on it...with an explanation even! Good first impression with them. Decisions decisions.

Quick Reply: buying used should I rebuild?