Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Tring to figure out what my po was thinking?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Tring to figure out what my po was thinking?

After almost a year of owning my car I looked under the rear end thinking I might need rear shocks. I never imagined there were no rear shocks at all. Wtf was he thinking. I think I may grab a front & rear set of the Stagg. I wish I had the spare cash for the Koni's or Billstein's but that is not in the pic. At the same time I will do the front lca's and I may spring for a Strano front sway bar. My fronts are orange is that factory or were they replaced. Sorry, dont know how to adjust the pic & going to por 15 the bottom in the spring.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Carguy8888
After almost a year of owning my car I looked under the rear end thinking I might need rear shocks. I never imagined there were no rear shocks at all. Wtf was he thinking. I think I may grab a front & rear set of the Stagg. I wish I had the spare cash for the Koni's or Billstein's but that is not in the pic. At the same time I will do the front lca's and I may spring for a Strano front sway bar. My fronts are orange is that factory or were they replaced. Sorry, dont know how to adjust the pic & going to por 15 the bottom in the spring.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...psd2352a56.jpg
lol...
the shock is there, its in front of the spring, we dont have coilovers in the rear.
Orange shocks are the factory decrappons. Save up for at least bilstiens, they are under $400, don't buy anything before shocks, thats where the money should be going as they will make the biggest difference out of anything.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Doh, that f%&*/- spell check I meant to write trying in the title. It was late. Lol thank you I will. I can't believe i missed them and they are orange, I have to look again and go to the eye doctor.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Carguy8888
Doh, that f%&*/- spell check I meant to write trying in the title. It was late. Lol thank you I will. I can't believe i missed them and they are orange, I have to look again and go to the eye doctor.
Ha, its happens.
Just make sure you search, search and search again before buying anything - you may get something that you find out later you wasted money on.
Also when buying the swaybars buy the pair. I bought the front strano bar first, then the rear later. With strano front/stock rear the rear felt like it was lagging behind in comparison and not well balanced.
And what makes you think you need new front LCAs?
Old 12-23-2012, 11:22 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Carguy, just a thought here, no insult or injury intended....

If you didn't realize there are rear shocks on your car, should you be doing this kind of work yourself?

I'm also a little concerned about the rust on smaller parts like fuel & brake lines.

Just trying to play it safe here....
Old 12-23-2012, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

No offence taken lol, I am smart enough to know I am not handy. Butchers are more dangerous. I still don't know how I didn't see them. Im going to look again. The po had the car near water or outside. Now its garaged and I will have the bottom por 15 ed in the spring.

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Ha, its happens.
Just make sure you search, search and search again before buying anything - you may get something that you find out later you wasted money on.
Also when buying the swaybars buy the pair. I bought the front strano bar first, then the rear later. With strano front/stock rear the rear felt like it was lagging behind in comparison and not well balanced.
And what makes you think you need new front LCAs?
I meant to write lca bushings only that my mechanic who is good noticed. I only hear good things about bilsteins. I guess by the price they are a better piece then the stagg, the difference can't only be the name. I will probably do the same as u with the sway bars. What does the rear lagging feel like?
Old 12-23-2012, 02:51 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Yes, Bilstiens are a very good quality shock for the money.

Replacing lower control arm bushings is no trivial task and you'll need an alignment afterwards.

If you can afford it, I would suggest you buy complete GM lower control arms. They'll come complete with ball joint and bushings. These 1LE arms are what came on your car and have a bit harder rubber in the bushings for better handling.

Left: 52367658, right: 5236765
Old 12-24-2012, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Yes, Bilstiens are a very good quality shock for the money.

Replacing lower control arm bushings is no trivial task and you'll need an alignment afterwards.

If you can afford it, I would suggest you buy complete GM lower control arms. They'll come complete with ball joint and bushings. These 1LE arms are what came on your car and have a bit harder rubber in the bushings for better handling.

Left: 52367658, right: 5236765

Absolutely they will be done by a shop. I would not ever consider doing that. Lol. I don't know how much for the complete units, they would be awesome but I bet I can't afford them now. I will buy bushings & the big front sway bar from Strano in the Spring. First I need to install shocks, I went for a ride today which was my first cold day and they were banging. Lol.

Also, this is for everyone. After advice from you guys I re jacked up the car, and looked in front of the wheel & vola there it was. Orange and tucked in pretty good. I was thinking it should have been in a similar position as my 69Camaro but appearently not. Lol.

Quick Reply: Tring to figure out what my po was thinking?