Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Anyone using shorter rear shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone using shorter rear shocks?

My car is away for the winter and I have been thinking about the rear suspension. I want to lower the rear another 1/2" but I'm really close to bottoming my shocks where I'm at. Also the watts link is hitting on my gas tank now, but I plan on getting a new tank and welding in a relief so it doesn't hit anymore.

But if I were to get different shocks, what would my options be?
Old 12-26-2012, 02:45 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You know to call me on this stuff! I ran a shorter shock on my own car with transverse mounting on both ends. Strange or Afco shocks can be setup with whatever travel, valving, and mount configurations.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

How much are you willing to spend?
Ridetech has their HQ series rear shocks(single adjustable) which are made by Fox Racing, and they have them in various lengths.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:06 AM
TECH Addict

I don't want to spend a bunch of money on shocks, but I could probably swing ~$150 each. I thought about dropping the lower shock mount, but I'd rather get the right parts and not cut or weld on on my MWC rear.

I want to get a shock that's more towards autox vs the drag shocks. I may run the Edelbrock shocks one more summer and see what happens. I have hit the bump stops a lot, but I also upped the spring rate from 175# to 200# at the end of summer and I'm taking a lot of weight out of the car this winter. Maybe if I crank down the jack bolts and fix the gas tank I can get away with them for another summer.

I'll check out the Ridetech HQ shocks though 99Bluz28, what are you using on your car now?
Old 12-27-2012, 03:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

No, I'm not using the Ridetech HQ shocks, but they look to be a quality shock an run about $175 ea.. I'm currently still using the Koni SA shocks with the GC bumpstops on the shock shafts which is still working great for me. I can't remember right off but are the IAS shocks longer that the Bilsteins or Konis rear shocks? If I remember correctly the axle tubes should contact the body before the shocks bottom out.

Bilstein has the rear #24-010214 shocks which have about a 3/4" shorter extended length (then the HD bilsteins) for use with lowering springs. You can get them for about $80 ea..

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 12-27-2012 at 03:36 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
No, I'm not using the Ridetech HQ shocks, but they look to be a quality shock an run about $175 ea.. I'm currently still using the Koni SA shocks with the GC bumpstops on the shock shafts which is still working great for me. I can't remember right off but are the IAS shocks longer that the Bilsteins or Konis rear shocks? If I remember correctly the axle tubes should contact the body before the shocks bottom out.

Bilstein has the rear #24-010214 shocks which have about a 3/4" shorter extended length (then the HD bilsteins) for use with lowering springs. You can get them for about $80 ea..
I have the stock bumpstops cut off to clear my wheels. I am also using bumpstops that go over the shock shaft, but I bottom them all the time and my car has a bunch of rake. I know that the Edelbrock socks were the same length as the Decarbons that I took out. I wondered if they were longer because at my ride height they are just about touching my bumpstops.

I'll look into the Bilsteins, but I think I may need something even shorter. I don't know if my car is just weird, or whats going on. I may pull the shocks and shave down the isolator to give it another 3/8" of travel but other than that I don't know what else to do other than getting a shock extender or shorter shocks.

Like I said before I'm removing close to 400#s out of my car this winter so thats going to change a lot of things, so I may just wait and see how it feels next spring and go from there.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, since you removing a lot of weight from the car waiting awhile after the weight reduction is done is a good idea.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I made a plate on my LT1 car and welded it to the factory shock mount, braced it on the side. Lowered the shock mount about 1.25 inches.

Made it out of 1/8 plate.

Quick Reply: Anyone using shorter rear shocks?