Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Cast turbo manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 09:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cast turbo manifolds

I wish someone would build some affordable dedicated cast turbo manifolds.It looks like with the popularity of the ls motors now there would be a ready market for some.Aps has some new ones listed on their website now and that u.k. company Boost power but they are approching $2000$2000 for a set of cast manifolds?Come on guysI know getting molds made is very expensive,some have already looked into it.The two that produce them are in Austraila and the U.K.Looks like an American company would step up.Now that I've ranted and raved about that I guess I will have to modify a set of truck manifolds with v bands to build my up and forward twin setup for my 67 camaro.Looks to be the best option unless you want to spend $2000 for manifolds or $1000-$1500 for a nice set of turbo headers.Logs are an option but I dont really care for the look of them. Anyone have a better idea?

Last edited by SUPERBOOST; 12-30-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:02 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

We are currently in the process of doing a cast truck manifold style with a v-banded end. Should have some more news shortly

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 12-31-2012, 07:23 AM
TECH Regular

I would like to know more about these when you can.I feel like this is a gap that could be filled by someone here in the us with a reasonably priced manifold.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SUPERBOOST
I wish someone would build some affordable dedicated cast turbo manifolds.It looks like with the popularity of the ls motors now there would be a ready market for some.Aps has some new ones listed on their website now and that u.k. company Boost power but they are approching $2000$2000 for a set of cast manifolds?Come on guysI know getting molds made is very expensive,some have already looked into it.The two that produce them are in Austraila and the U.K.Looks like an American company would step up.Now that I've ranted and raved about that I guess I will have to modify a set of truck manifolds with v bands to build my up and forward twin setup for my 67 camaro.Looks to be the best option unless you want to spend $2000 for manifolds or $1000-$1500 for a nice set of turbo headers.Logs are an option but I dont really care for the look of them. Anyone have a better idea?
link???

i think the BIG issue is you are this site is ALOT of fbody and for someone to make a Cast manifold now for f-bodies it wiould be a big risk. Alot of people wont drop 8-10 k on a turbo kit. ask Modularturbo. they have a GREAT kit. but the market is just weaker. you can get a fbody ls1 for around 6-8k. so most wont drop the coin.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Why some one want to buy a cast turbo manifold when you can have a set of truck manifolds with vbands for a cheep???
Old 01-01-2013, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

weld a set of V-bands on some truck manifolds...

i paid $60 for my manifolds, $40 for vbands, and $50 to have em welded..

$150...

And they arent "cast iron" , they're act more like a cast steel when welding them, little bit of pre/post heat before and after welding. Some guys get away with just welding them..
Old 01-02-2013, 05:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ive done down and forward modified truck manifolds for first gen camaro's.

If your doing a twin kit, modified truck or Camaro manifolds are you best answer. I dont understand why you'd spend money on other manifolds. Stainless Works headers work good too if you want more bling.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Talking Thumbs up!

Nova....NICE job!
Old 01-02-2013, 09:07 AM
On The Tree

Just like other members here have posted... Why spend two grand on cast manifolds when you can cut and weld truck, C6 and other GM manifolds with total ease? Even some of the professional builders are doing this instead of making dedicate cast manifolds because it is just tooooo easy! Just saying that turbo manifolds you can build for yourself will be just as good as anything someone else can mass produce and sell!
Old 01-02-2013, 11:36 AM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman09
We are currently in the process of doing a cast truck manifold style with a v-banded end. Should have some more news shortly
Old 01-02-2013, 11:40 AM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

ive always welded right to them no heat up, no cool down no prep, just blasted the vband right on, no issues.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

if u have a little bit of fab skills, you can make your own headers. you can get a set of mild steel header flanges for like $80. might have $400 in it with tubing and collectors when your done, but it still beats $2000.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:49 PM
TECH Regular

Do'nt worry guys I wont be be spending $2000 on a set of turbo manifolds,I will modify a set of truck manifolds like I said in the first post.Ive seen the truck manifolds modifed by several folks on here and they look great.I just dont understand why someone hasnt done a cast manifold that would mount turbos or at least have a vband for reasonable money.$2000 is crazy for a set of cast manifolds and I dont see how they ever sell any.But I think they would sell lots of them at a reasonible cost.They make them for hondas,nissans,neons ,all kinds of stuff.Why not lsx motors?As popular as they have gotten looks like there would be a market for some.Anyway I will quit bitchen and do some truck manifolds.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1NOVA
Ive done down and forward modified truck manifolds for first gen camaro's.

If your doing a twin kit, modified truck or Camaro manifolds are you best answer. I dont understand why you'd spend money on other manifolds. Stainless Works headers work good too if you want more bling.

Weld like most cast stuff?? Or more like normal steel
Old 01-10-2013, 05:11 AM
TECH Addict

Welds like normal steel.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:31 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

You completely miss the point. If someone makes a cast manifold, it can be guaranteed to fit ONE application. Now that creates a very small market.

And when there are a variety of OEM cast manifolds, truck or otherwise which it's easy to adapt for almost ANY application....it really isnt worth the hassle or expensive of doing a custom casting.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:45 AM
TECH Addict

Unless you make that casting super compact that fits almost every application. Like a cut down truck manifold.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

I preheated my lsa manifolds, but used a regular mig with .030' wire with my Lincoln 180 cranked up on my vette manifolds. They welded easy. Here are some cast stainless manifolds that are also out there (were posted in the vette forum a few months ago).

http://www.precisionenginetech.com/p...ifolds-for-ls/
Old 01-10-2013, 11:40 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1NOVA
Unless you make that casting super compact that fits almost every application. Like a cut down truck manifold.
That assumes low down turbo placement will suit every application. If that was the case...the Corvette systems would sell like hot cakes.

But mounting the turbo low creates engine mounting, air intake, boost pipe nightmares trying to route them.

May as well just adapt a cast OEM manifold to a low position that the user wants.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:42 AM
Launching!

Other option is truck manifold and sch40 weld els. End result is like a cast manifold. Sorry, couldn't figure out how to link picture from another thread. Post #2

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...keeping-c.html

I had trouble with cracking, had to do the pre-heat and slow cool down. 3 minutes with a propane torch got them above the recommended 475° F.

Last edited by ACCLR8N; 01-10-2013 at 11:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Cast turbo manifolds