Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ swap into 68 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ swap into 68 camaro

I have been reading my *** off... im confused.

So can anyone help me figure this out?

I am thinking it might be easier to just buy a good LQ4 short-block (since they are usually cheaper) than a pullout.

I can't use the front drive.
I wanted to swap heads and intake manifold anyway.

so, would it be easier to but an LQ4 short-block, LS heads/intake, LS front acc drive, wiring harness and ecu separately?
Old 01-02-2013, 05:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you confused about?
Old 01-02-2013, 05:37 PM

Well, i just don't see the point in buying an entire pullout engine.

should i just shop for an LQ4 short-block, LS heads/intake, LS front acc drive, wiring harness and ecu separately
Old 01-02-2013, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

If you're making all those changes, it probably makes sense to just buy a short block. I bought a pullout, and for me it was better because I'm learning a lot about how these engines go together by taking it apart. If you do buy a short block, make sure you get as many bolts, etc, as you can with it- buying metric bolts for the water pump, trans bellhousng, etc, ges expensive quick, and they're not as easy to find as SAE bolts.

Don't discount being able to use the truck accessories- they can work with the right water pump and swap brackets, which will be cheaper than buying an LS1 accessory setup, which also has clearance issues.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:47 PM

now that's the kind of info i'm looking for, what water pump and swap brackets, to use the truck accessories?
Old 01-02-2013, 08:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

I have an LQ4 from a 2004 Silverado... it came with a few brackets, no starter,no water pump, just a basic long block.

After swapping heads,and being rebuilt, the fun started.
Everything I bought (water pump,starter) has been for a 2004 Silverado, I cut the alt/PS bracket in half only using the upper half since I don't have PS anyway

LQ swap into 68 camaro-mock-up-2.jpg
Old 01-02-2013, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

What are your goals?? That will determine a lot. If you want power get you a lq4 ls3 heads and intake with good cam and ur set or you can still go lq4 or lq9 with a tune and still run decent
Old 01-03-2013, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personaly, Id get as much as possible with what ever engine you find or go with. There is nothing wrong with going with truck acc, unless you intend to go with ls1 style fuel inj intake. Even then, just find an intake and acc from f body. You can reuse alot of the truck stuff to save hassle of finding EVERY single bracket and bolt. Like starter and sensors etc. I stuck with the truck acc but I did go with a carb conversion.

Quick Reply: LQ swap into 68 camaro