Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

440 ls2 zero miles. blown heaed gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 440 ls2 zero miles. blown heaed gasket?

Default new motor. gas in radiator
Think I have a headgasket issue

Motor was bought in 2011, but just finished building car and getting it running properly.

After cleaning up all the wiring I topped off ron davis radiator. I seen a dark swirl in the coolant and stuck finger in it. Felt slimy like oil, but smell is very strong with fuel.

Motor is a virginia speed built 440ci Ls2 with ls7 heads and a fast 102. Electric water pump ect. Might have put a quart to much oil in it, but havnt noticed if oil was milky.

Motor has zero miles on it and maybe 30 minutes run time. Ive never reved it over 4k.
I did take intake off for paint, but its torqued to spec and I dont see how this would make this happen as intake doesnt pass coolant.

Engie ran on 4cyl recently with heavy backfiring untill I fixed wiring recently, but that was a very short episode which was fixed promptly.

I have the ability to tear the heads off and fix the gaskets, however, id rather try a few things to be sure thats the problem before I rip apart a $19k motor.

Anyone had similar problems with oily residue In coolant that reaked like gas. Engine runs great now
Old 01-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

drained oil.....smells very strong of gasoline. oil was put in fresh, looks greyish milky. 20/50 weight

drained coolant.....looks pretty good. just a little tint of oily residue, and smells very gassy.

I started and ran engine for a few seconds before draining fluids and lkeft radiator cap off. instantly turned to a guiser, bubbled like a hot tub. there is definatly compression in my coolant system.

im 90% sure its a H/G. dont want to think of cracked head. cant afford that. But what would cause premature failure on a practically brand new engine that has never been driven or put under a load since dyno from the builder?

I think im being haunted with a Horse power demon.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

injectors pissing is my guess!
Old 01-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

So stuck injectors would cause oil to get into the crank case without a bad gasket? my radiator was bubbling like a hot tub. and white smoke pours out of the exhaust and lingers. radiator also smells like straight gas.

If i pull rails and leave injectors in it would i be able to make a messy find if injectors are stuck? I looked into leak down testing.

anyone recomend this method for determining if a H/G is to blame. I know how to replace, but cant get it in my head that this could be on a excelent piece of machinery that has practically no run time on it. could a few backfires cause a brand new motor to blow a gasket. a completely fresh build.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:41 PM
Staging Lane

Default Update!!!!

went back out to my demonically possesd man shed. to my suprise the oil finally drained every last drip into the 5 gallon bucket.......and then some. the bucket was full and had a puddle around it. why would i drain out over 5 gallons of fluid from my crank case when i only put 10qts 20/50 oil into it. I have a 8qt pan with oil relocation and cooler.

it scares me to think a stuck injector could cause this as the only way i could think this could happen is past the piston rings. im starting to hope its only a gasket issue. what would this much fluid do to a motor when went unnoticed for a very short period of time. thanks fellerssssss
Old 01-05-2013, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 603 Likes on 479 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I hope you contacted Virginia Speed once you realized you are having problems. WHat did V.S. say?
Old 01-05-2013, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

when i was having problems with it not running correctly i knew it was the wiring so i fixed that myself... i had the motor running correctly yesterday, which was late in the day friday.. This is when i noticed I had a problem with the oil/gas/coolant osmosis issue. I removed the injectors and have them soaking in clean gassoline at the moment. they seemed dirty. but mainly did this because the motor has not been running for almost a year. incase they were stuck from not being used i have them soaking. I will do a compression or leak down test tomorrow, but want to talk with va speed monday, just for a concrete opinion on what might be happening. I dont want to think i have a shot motor, when its brand new, but was freaked out when 20qts of fluid came out the drain plug. when i put 10 in it. motor smoked bad when it started but it was thick white smoke. Im leaning towards head gasket.

maybe gas hydraulically screwed something up. i cant afford to send motor off to have rings done.. i guess i could do it myself if i knew cylinder walls were good, but i gotta quit thinking this way.. might not be as bad as i keep thinking it is. starting with cleaning injectors, check for issues with flowage then compression/leak down. then ill see what the builder says. but im so teased to wanna drive the beast.

2 years and $50k on something ive always dreamed of driving and im a week from being totally done.....Then this... kinda ruins your day if you know what i mean.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 603 Likes on 479 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

wow. 50 GRAND.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
I hope you contacted Virginia Speed once you realized you are having problems. WHat did V.S. say?
That would have been my first step...
Old 01-07-2013, 11:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

10 quarts?! Good god, what oil pan and what kind of car is this?

How have you broken in this motor?

Quick Reply: 440 ls2 zero miles. blown heaed gasket?