Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 Camaro vs 02 Silverado PNP ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 12:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Camaro vs 02 Silverado PNP ??

I know these two parts are different.
I have an 02 LS1 Camaro 4l60E and an 02 Silverado engine / harness.
Can I make these two work together with a factory PNP? If so, how?

What happens if I don't run it at all, or bypass it to start with or without ? I hear "idle issue" all the time but if I recall, the PCM only changes idle speed by 100 rpm. Is that such a big deal?
Old 01-06-2013, 10:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

The shift shaft on the Camaro trans is going to be too short to mount the Silverado neutral safety switch on, so what the easiest thing to do is have the NSS part changed in your tune to a single wire like an F-body. then you just need to hook wire C1-34 to a switch that's grounded in park and neutral. As for deleting it all together, some people do and say no problems, but it's needed for certain diagnostic procedures like crank angle re-learn ect.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:39 AM
Teching In

Ok, read some wiring diagrams and it looks like no problem to use the Lokar shifter & neutral safety switch to tell the computer if it is in P or N.
I also want backup lights, though, which the Lokar kit can't provide (well, it can, but it can't do P N and also R. Just PN *or* R)
So, it looks like the way to get all 3 functions is to go get myself a Camaro NSS & male pigtail, read up on which wires in the Silverado harness correspond to which ones on the Camaro harness, and make a bastard.
Or is there another bright idea?
Old 01-06-2013, 01:49 PM
TECH Veteran

A Camaro NSS mounts to the shifter under the console not the trans like a truck. Might be hard to mount it to a Lokar shifter.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are using a truck transmission you can still wire in the transmission neutral safety no matter which harness you choose. I always reccomend using the transmission mounted switch if you have it. Because you can get both the nss signal AND make it functional with the starter relay. (which I do on all my re-wires that get the premium kit. If the customer wants it I also can do this on new harnesses.) secondly you also get the back up lamp provisions!

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 01-06-2013, 04:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by yossarian19
I know these two parts are different.
I have an 02 LS1 Camaro 4l60E and an 02 Silverado engine / harness.
This is what I was going off of.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:46 AM
Teching In

OH! The camaro switch goes off the shifter. Makes sense of a few oddities around here...
So. The camaro shifter won't work in a truck, the truck NSS won't fit on a Camaro trans.
Time to look again at old van steering columns, maybe I get lucky and the NSS (PNP) mounts to the column shift mechanism on those.
If not... I'll flip a coin and see if I get backup lights or a PNP signal to the computer.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:17 AM
TECH Veteran

What are you putting this in? I would think the vehicle not starting in gear would trump back up lights.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:42 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It depends on what you are putting it in. If you have the room around the transmission I would get a shifter shaft for a truck 4l60e (they are under 20 bucks and fairly easy to swap out, just have to drop the trans pan) and then buy the PRNDL switch for a truck, it will bolt right up to the camaro trans after you swap the shift shaft. That way you have all the hookups for the PCM, starter interlock, reverse lights, etc.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by G-Body
It depends on what you are putting it in. If you have the room around the transmission I would get a shifter shaft for a truck 4l60e (they are under 20 bucks and fairly easy to swap out, just have to drop the trans pan) and then buy the PRNDL switch for a truck, it will bolt right up to the camaro trans after you swap the shift shaft. That way you have all the hookups for the PCM, starter interlock, reverse lights, etc.
I don't know why the idea of changing the shift shaft never hit me. This is probably the best solution. I prefer the trans mounted NSS since the slop in the factory shift linkage of older cars makes the neutral safety and reverse light functions a little vague, sometimes you have to fiddle with the shifter to get them to start in neutral.

Quick Reply: 02 Camaro vs 02 Silverado PNP ??