PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! descreened maf was told i need a new one!!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy HELP! descreened maf was told i need a new one!!?

Unfortunately, I bought a Ls1 car with the mass air flow meter already descreened. Now I was told that descreening a stock mass air sensor screws up the pcms reading of the maf plus I use a oil type air filter and was told that this oil has covrerd the wires inside the mass air sensor. I was also told I can spray the wires inside the maf with maf cleaner from CRC. The car runs fine, idles decent but do I need a new maf ? What the hell should I do? I know its a dumbass idea to descreen a stock mass air sensor but I bought the car like this and now I'm thinking I should buy a new maf just because of the screens removed.

And more importantly, can I salvage the one I have now and how can I clean off the heated fine wires inside my mass air flow sensor?
Thanks all for any and all help on this one.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

if your not having any drive-ability issues i would not worry about it at all. Until something starts acting crazy, i dont see the reason to worry about it. i had a stock de-screened maf on my car for a long time when i first bought it. Now i run a GM 85 screened MAF
Old 01-06-2013, 12:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Some tuners like them on up to a certain HP and some don't.

I bet 85% of tech doesn't have a screen on their car though.

I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Launching!

I'm running a SSRA, K&N filter (with their oil), SLP 85 MAF that has no screen and a stock ported TB with no issues at all. Just clean yours and run it!!

Last edited by Cra-Z Larry; 01-06-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Question

Originally Posted by Undertow74
if your not having any drive-ability issues i would not worry about it at all. Until something starts acting crazy, i dont see the reason to worry about it. i had a stock de-screened maf on my car for a long time when i first bought it. Now i run a GM 85 screened MAF
hey thanks for all the help I'm going to go get some maf cleaner to clean of the wires for now and put it back on and hope for the best I was told I was kinda screws but I think I'm okay now thanks guys. I also read that smooth bellows helps keep the maf clean and gain some hp. should I even bother? I looked at the fernco 3" rubber coupler u get at home depot. is this trick with it or are the smooth bellows a waste?
Old 01-06-2013, 02:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want the smooth bellow then I say just buy the right one.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your MAF wasn't working anymore your engine wouldn't be able to go past a certain RPM, I believe ~4,000RPM or so. If you disxonnect your MAF, and it runs better, then you know you have a bad sensor.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thing, make sure you let the filter dry really well when you clean it. I notice how a lot of people will clean their reusable filters, not let them dry well, and having a **** load of oil left on it still.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

I know a lot of u guys use the smooth bellows and are they worth the 50 bucks? I was told they tend to screw up descreened mafs as well as not even making any real HP gains. Don't ask who is telling me this. And dayum, cleaning the Maf out does make a noticeable difference damn wires were filthy. Thanks fellas. Anything else to help get her to idle better? (I'm already gonna go ahead and replace just the front two 02 sensors for now)
Old 01-08-2013, 03:41 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Descreen will change the tuning but on a stock car is should be fairly close.

Tuners like myself can tune in the mass air curve so the descreen MAF is spot on.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:34 AM
FormerVendor

Default Camaro Corvette GTO CTS G8 Firebird Truck performance tuner in Tampa Orlando

For about a year when I upgraded to the FAST 90/90 system, I went back and further between a screened and unscreened stock 75mm MAF trying to determine what I liked better both calibrated slightly differant for my car. I found the unscreened had slightly better pickup, but my car didnt like it in parking lots driving slow.

The screened had better street manners.

When I upgraded to the 85mm MAF, I bought the screened GM truck 85mm MAF, and calibrated it.

alot of things effect air flow. Like depending on how well your air intake breaths or how much of a curve the air bridge has to make between the intake, to the MAF, to the throttle body. Because of room under the hood, the corvette has to squish the air bride

I have a Vararam system on my car, and the screened MAF seemed to work better on my set up.

Why did I go with the GM truck 85mm MAF.......well its screened and under $40 bucks new on Ebay compared to the corvette MAF price. If I wanted to descreen it, Id still be $100 bucks ahead lol.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

The reason I believe a screen would be in there is to control the air flow making it laminar over turbulent. Also directing the air evenly over each sensor instead of a big jumble of air on one side and vacuum on the sensor.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have ran descreened in all my cars and trucks. You have to wait for your filter to dry and not over oil it. We would put on after market housings and cut the center support out. On long highway drives it would throw a lean code with the cruise set for miles. When you clean your MAFS make sure it is totally dry.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

If the car was tuned with the descreened MAF you will be fine. If it hasn’t then it is most likely rich.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

No screen here through ssra, k&n filter, 98mm ftp lid, 85mm maf, slp smooth bellow, nw 92mm tb, fast 92mm. No issues. I descreened all 3 ls1 camaros iv owned and never had issues.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Need to up a A/F gage on and find out how the tune is. If air/fuel is 13 or so you are good to go. If not needs a tune.

Quick Reply: HELP! descreened maf was told i need a new one!!?