Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

front vs rear mount turbos ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front vs rear mount turbos ?

Im an old guy thats been running big blocks for some time now, all you young guys have me hooked on this Turbo thing now

I like the idea of puttin the thing in the rear, I have no gas tank ( its in the trunk )

I run the car on the street and Pro class at the track and want to run low 10s, so I need about 525 horse.

My buddy at the wreckers sold me a LQ4 , and said lots of guys were running these with turbos, up to about 700 hp

I guess my question is,,, am I wasting my time going with a rear mount turbo,,I did talk to a STS dealer,,,lol, and he asked me why I want a rear mount ?

I like the weight advantage having it back there, and it keeps all the heat out of the hood area,,,

So, lets hear from you young guys, and if you have ANY ideas , just throw them out to me, Im here to learn a thing or two.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

there are a few good front mount turbo kits for reasonable prices and are proven to be reliable i would just go with one of them unless you were dead set on the rear mount. and you can control the temps by wrapping all the pipes and getting a turbo blanket
Old 01-08-2013, 07:18 PM
TECH Regular

One of the things I was thinking of when deciding on a rear mount, was do I have the room for the turbos under my hood without butchering up my truck? I don't have much fabbing skills, so I would have to have someone fab up custom turbo headers. There is so much room under my truck and I can run cheap production shorty headers.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ONLY downsides to rearmount are spool times, oil return, and more piping. A lot of people will say that reamounts are garbage and take forever to spool, which is true if the setup isn't right. The same can be said of a front mount, although they are more forgiving. A rear mount is much pickier, as far as piping, turbo, engine setup... With everything right though, they work very well. A front mount will never have the underhood temps of a rear mount, not that my front mount every caused any trouble due to heat.

The most important thing you can do is research like crazy and find out what works and what doesn't. Enough compression, a custom cam, and keeping enough heat in the pipes is very important to spooling satisfactorily.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

i would personally just do a front mount. its less tubing, you dont need an oil scavenging pump, and as far as heat goes, just have the hot side ceramic coated then wrap it. Im not a fabricator, and my buddy is a decent welder, and we managed to fab up a twin turbo hot side for my car, and were about to start wastegate placement and do the cold side. its a learning experience, and its a lot of fun.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

well, lol, Im still thinkin about the rear setup , until I hit a road block . IM not sure about the total weight of a turbo setup, but Im sure I could transfer 50 - 60 lbs to the back, but then add and subtract weight for piping and the extra turbo,,blablabla. more thinking,,,maybe I set the LS in and see how it looks.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:43 PM
TECH Addict

are you watning to do a single or a twin rear mount? you know about what size of turbo your wanting to run?
Old 01-09-2013, 12:30 AM
TECH Regular

It all depends on how much power you want to make, how much room you have, what accessories you're keeping... It's definitely easier to keep all accessories and less underhood heat with a rearmount but the trade-off is lag, more piping, oil... They both have trade-offs and will get the job done very well.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:06 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Front mount is the way to go,do not buy a sts kit new,you can find them everywhere for 1500 to 2500 with all the upgrades in great shape etc,my buddy has one for sale close to new for 2200,the main reason there are so many for sale is because after awhile everyone switches to front mount for the obvious reasons,but some love the rearmounts,they sound bad ***,install is a lil easier,imo if you do a rearmount look into comp oilless turbos,there are alot of good rearmount threads on here,best one imo is zombies car,
Old 01-09-2013, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by allout06
are you watning to do a single or a twin rear mount? you know about what size of turbo your wanting to run?
OK, I dont know for sure what size I need, Im thinking just a single,
heres my thought,,,

I was going to run the stock truck manifolds with a tee, 2 1/2 " to a 3" all the way back on the drivers side to a single turbo, then 3 1/2 cold back up the pass. side to a intercooler, then into a ls6 intake.

I was going to upgrade the cam, and springs if needed, and the intake with throttle body.

Am I missing anything.?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:16 AM
On The Tree

I do agree, the STS seems a bit high,, but they need to make a buck as well,, they have a design !

If I knew what size I needed It would make things a bit easier, I only need 600 hp and the flywheel, and allow for a bit of lose doing the rear mount. And I need it so I wouldnt get too much lag,, a bit of lag would be ok,,I leave on a trans break, so I have a second of so to spool up !
Old 01-09-2013, 08:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
Front mount is the way to go,do not buy a sts kit new,you can find them everywhere for 1500 to 2500 with all the upgrades in great shape etc,my buddy has one for sale close to new for 2200,the main reason there are so many for sale is because after awhile everyone switches to front mount for the obvious reasons,but some love the rearmounts,they sound bad ***,install is a lil easier,imo if you do a rearmount look into comp oilless turbos,there are alot of good rearmount threads on here,best one imo is zombies car,
Were is this site, that has kits for sale, used ?

And , are these oil less turbos any good ?
Old 01-09-2013, 10:59 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by superstreeter
OK, I dont know for sure what size I need, Im thinking just a single,
heres my thought,,,

I was going to run the stock truck manifolds with a tee, 2 1/2 " to a 3" all the way back on the drivers side to a single turbo, then 3 1/2 cold back up the pass. side to a intercooler, then into a ls6 intake.

I was going to upgrade the cam, and springs if needed, and the intake with throttle body.

Am I missing anything.?
Use a flowmaster merge instead of a t. 3.5" cold side is way overkill for what you're doing. You need 3" max and 2.5" would work just fine. A tc70 or bw s366 would easily make the power you're looking for and spool quickly. Get with liljohn for a cam.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:00 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by superstreeter
Were is this site, that has kits for sale, used ?

And , are these oil less turbos any good ?
I wouldn't buy an sts kit if you have even the slightest fab ability.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
Hey BOB, you have to clear out some of your messages, so I can send you one

Quick Reply: front vs rear mount turbos ?