Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS wireing harness choices..too many

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS wireing harness choices..too many

I am now looking into a wiring harness for my 69 camaro ls swap and its overwhelming.
I do not really want to send the old one out due to a bad experence with my 4.6 factory 5 cobra.(5 months ,lots of lies,price jacking started at $500 and ended at $1,500! and not plug and play as told)
so there are alot of companys out there selling a harness and claim plug and play and being easy.
I have a 01 vette motor/computer with remote pedal and a 4l60e from a 99 camaro.
The car its self needs to be re wired and I think american auto wire looks the best and under $500. looks ok too.
painless offeres a kit that I can wire the car and motor all in one but have doubts about it being that easy and having everything I need to do the job and its expencive at aruond $1,300.00
I am looking for simple plug in for the motor/trans/fuel pump and fans.
what harness swap company do you like and why?
Old 01-11-2013, 10:48 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There truly are lots of options out there. There are some things you should consider when calling a company to inquire about a harness. Here are somethings you will want to ask when you call a harness company.

1. Color Coding, do they use GM color codes?
2. Wire Type- TXL is what should be used.
3. Tooling- ask them if they use production tooling. There are a lot of companies out there who use repair tooling to produce harnesses. You CANNOT achieve a consistent crimp with repair tooling. An easy way to tell is if the company says they crimp and solder the terminals. The ONLY terminals that should be crimped and soldered are ring terminals. If they crimp and solder everything you should stay away, GM harnesses are solderless for a reason.
4. Wire sizing, do they use GM wire sizing? A lot of companies use only 18ga wire.
5. Loom- Do they just use two or three different sizes of loom? This results in a bulky harness.
6. Fan Relays, starter relay, ignition power, fuel pump, and A/C relays included? (If Needed)
7. Price for the addition of above if you need it.
8. Ask what brand connectors and terminals are used.
9. Is a DLC Port included?
10. Tech Support, 24hr tech support?

Feel free to give us a call, and we will be happy to help you in any way possible.

270-805-1777
Bill

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 01-11-2013, 06:37 PM
Launching!

cant vouch for BP automotive.

first problem was I forgot to plug in crankshaft pos sensor, second was egr valve was not plugged in after I removed harness to make it look cleaner, and third was a tune issue that I wanted to make sure what it was.

Last edited by John B; 01-12-2013 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Non-sponsor
Old 01-11-2013, 07:53 PM
12 Second Club

Bpautomotive for me,i am highly pleased with the whole process and everything was great quality.never had any issues getting ahold of bill and he built exactly what I wanted. Psi is great as well from what I hear just never used them.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BP Automotive
There truly are lots of options out there. There are some things you should consider when calling a company to inquire about a harness. Here are somethings you will want to ask when you call a harness company.

1. Color Coding, do they use GM color codes?
2. Wire Type- TXL is what should be used.
3. Tooling- ask them if they use production tooling. There are a lot of companies out there who use repair tooling to produce harnesses. You CANNOT achieve a consistent crimp with repair tooling. An easy way to tell is if the company says they crimp and solder the terminals. The ONLY terminals that should be crimped and soldered are ring terminals. If they crimp and solder everything you should stay away, GM harnesses are solderless for a reason.
4. Wire sizing, do they use GM wire sizing? A lot of companies use only 18ga wire.
5. Loom- Do they just use two or three different sizes of loom? This results in a bulky harness.
6. Fan Relays, starter relay, ignition power, fuel pump, and A/C relays included? (If Needed)
7. Price for the addition of above if you need it.
8. Ask what brand connectors and terminals are used.
9. Is a DLC Port included?
10. Tech Support, 24hr tech support?

Feel free to give us a call, and we will be happy to help you in any way possible.

270-805-1777
Bill

Bill,

Really? I don't have a good crimp tool and always solder everything, so why is this not good? Just curious... What would be a good tool if I were to buy one?
Old 01-11-2013, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

I spoke with BP while back he is very thorough I will be spending my money with him
Old 01-11-2013, 09:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Bill,

Really? I don't have a good crimp tool and always solder everything, so why is this not good? Just curious... What would be a good tool if I were to buy one?
Im not trying to be confusing. When answering a question on harness production im going to discuss the proper way you should produce multiple harnesses. In this case, he is asking about companies that produce harnesses, thus production tooling should be used. This is the only way you can ensure and proper, consistent crimp time and time again.

If you are re-working a harness and not using production tooling you should solder the crimp. In terms of production (on small terms and mass production) you should not have to solder your terminals unless there are not any dies available for the terminal you are crimping.

Soldering can lead to stress points in the wire if not done correctly, this is why a factory harness is solderless. Like I said if you are reworking a harness and/or repairing a connection and you do not have production tooling you should solder your connections.

Proper Harness Production (which only a handful of aftermarket companies do) is a whole different animal from re-working a harness.

LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 01-11-2013, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by 97camaroguy
So you're saying PSI is run out of a house? Interesting!
Doesn't change the quality of their work though (which is great btw).
Not knocking them just putting the info out there. i will be buying from them regardless.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Speartech
Old 01-12-2013, 01:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Whats wrong with using the factory harness?
Old 01-12-2013, 05:22 AM

My decision is based on the fact I've kept my head buried in the sand about switching to a modern engine. I own my Wagoneer and a 94 F150. For this first job I would like to get something that is plug and play. I'm not afraid of wiring, but being that these harnesses are getting old now, not know how long they've been sitting outside or butchered, it's a little piece of mind knowing that the engine wiring is new.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

Maby I will have the harness re worked.
I am not shure if any aftermarket harness come with all I need for the motor+ trans + fuel pump+fans. It seem I will need a harness for each seperate wich makes it more work and probley confusing not to mention more wires.
I will be contacting BP soon but heres a few questions so everyone is informed..yor prices are there but not enough for me to pick you first.
Bp few qick questions..how long to re work my harness and will all the c5 vette stuff work? computer,fly by wire tb, and camaro trans?
also what should I do about the tach and speedomeeter?
Old 01-13-2013, 09:54 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by chevnut55
Maby I will have the harness re worked.
I am not shure if any aftermarket harness come with all I need for the motor+ trans + fuel pump+fans. It seem I will need a harness for each seperate wich makes it more work and probley confusing not to mention more wires.
I will be contacting BP soon but heres a few questions so everyone is informed..yor prices are there but not enough for me to pick you first.
Bp few qick questions..how long to re work my harness and will all the c5 vette stuff work? computer,fly by wire tb, and camaro trans?
also what should I do about the tach and speedomeeter?
Yes I can make your drive by wire work. Does not matter if you want a new harness or a rewire. Here is one thing I want to reinterate for you since you said you couldnt find a complete kit. I actually offer a COMPLETE kit! Here is what I mean by complete kit.

-All starter wiring
-Wiring for two electric fans
-If using a transmission with a transmission mounted pnp switch you will get integrated back up lights and FUNCTIONAL neutral safety, not just signal wires to the pcm.
-ignition power relay
-fuel pump relay with 10ft 14ga wire to reach fuel pump.
-drive by wire or drive by cable does not matter.
-this can be done to a factory harness or a new harness.

To the best of my knowledge this is the most complete kit out there. There maybe someone else, but I havent seen it. Especially with the integrated functional neutral safety.

Tach and speedo are included in the harnesses I provide and both will drive an autometer gauge if that is what you are wanting to use.

sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 01-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Staging Lane

Man... I've been right where you are. Got burned 2x's... I have to say that Jon & Joe @ PSI in NJ were great. Built me a brand new all GM harness specifically for my swap and were there for me after the purchase for any questions & details. Plus they did it for $800!!! Highly recommend.
Attached Thumbnails LS wireing harness choices..too many-image.jpg  
Old 01-13-2013, 12:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I build my own.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...o-lt1-car.html

^^Read thru that, these things are so simple to work with.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kanner1
Man... I've been right where you are. Got burned 2x's... I have to say that Jon & Joe @ PSI in NJ were great. Built me a brand new all GM harness specifically for my swap and were there for me after the purchase for any questions & details. Plus they did it for $800!!! Highly recommend.
PSI all so built the harness for my Nova and did a Great job tuned the ECM and all plugged it in and hit the key and it started right up.

PSI Jon and Joe are the guys to use i have 2 more builds going on in my shop and these will all so have PSI harnesses in them.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:24 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

LMAO @ no solder being better. Dont blame the tools blame the guy who uses em
Old 01-16-2013, 08:33 AM
Launching!

Another vote for Bill at BP Automotive- Im happy with my harness.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cam
I have worked with hundreds of factory harnesses and none have had any solder. I would say if you can afford the tooling it is the way to go.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by cam
As the old saying goes, use the right tool for the job. You will never, ever find a single soldered connection in a factory harness. This is because when the proper tool is used there is no need for solder. If the proper tool is not used you must also solder the connection. You will find me saying this all over this forum.

sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491

Quick Reply: LS wireing harness choices..too many