New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking out loud, so to speak...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thinking out loud, so to speak...

I've gone ahead and put this in the newbie section because, frankly, these are probably newbie questions, but here goes...

I have a 2002 SS Camaro M6 with the SLP 345hp package (basically blackwing lid and CME) as well as an e-cutout. My best guess, only hypothesizing based on what typical ls1 cars dyno with similar setups, is that I'm probably around 300whp, given I don't have any issues going on with the car.

I would like to hit somewhere near the 350whp mark. I don't care about crazy power, I think that around that point would probably suit me well, so that's all I'm looking for max.

Here is the issue: I really would like to avoid doing a mod that could reasonably well make it hard for me to pass emissions inspections. Although where I am, it's not typically an issue, I just don't want to gamble, not to mention at any day our governing bodies could get a stick up their *** and decide to be extra observant come inspection time. This kind of puts headers out of the question.

So my first question is this: is there any mod (or mod combination) that is as reasonable for the budget as headers that could land me even close to the kind of power I'd be at with headers and a tune? It seems to be from any research I've done that anything that can be rather easily concealed at inspection time (e.g. a stealth cam) would be considerably more expensive than bolting on headers. Am I just out of luck with what I'm looking for within those parameters?

Assuming that answer is yes, and I don't purchase any power mods, here is my second question:

Would it be sensible to take my car with the setup it has now (lid and cutout I guess, when you get down to it) and get a custom dyno tune?

Also, given I already have the CME with an e-cutout, could I expect to see any gains by having piping from the y-pipe back fabbed up in about 1/2" larger diameter than it is now? Or would I just end up with a slightly bass-ier exhaust note?

Your patience is greatly appreciated, I know that I ought to know better on some of this stuff, but I've been toying with some of these ideas for a while now and I'd like a few other LS1 guys to tell me they are either good ideas or that I'm just crazy.

I look forward to your responses.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

consider a mail order tune by Frost ,and get a ported throttle body.consider a better Y-pipe from Texas Speed .
Old 01-11-2013, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by garygnu
consider a mail order tune by Frost ,and get a ported throttle body.consider a better Y-pipe from Texas Speed .
If I'm not mistaken, any of the TSP y-pipes are designed for use with headers, correct? Would a proper road-legal y-pipe and larger diameter catback be a worthwhile increase in lieu of headers? My initial impression, honestly, is that if I'm willing to modify the factory y-pipe at all, I may as well try headers with a catted y-pipe; in theory they both would likely be the same level of compliance.

I've seen that Potz has a pretty good price minus core charge for ported TBs, but even for, say, $60-$70, would this amount to much? Or even combined with the above mentioned exhaust mods?

The Frost tune looks like a very reasonable price for a tune though.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by garygnu
This is exactly what I would do and then see where it lands you, nothing else will really be worthwhile since you aren't trying to get headers. However, with what you're trying to do I would probably lean towards a dyno tune though instead of a mail order.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

could always do a small shot of nitrous keep your regular drivability and everything. would probably only need a basic kit for what your goals are
Old 01-11-2013, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Although I had forgotten about nitrous, that's something I don't consider to be on the table.

I guess then all I have left to ask is more pointedly about getting a tune:

Would it likely be a worthwhile investment for a local dyno-tune on my car as it sits now?
Old 01-11-2013, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you don't plan to do anything else to the car for a while, then I would say absolutely if you really want to get everything out of it
Old 01-11-2013, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like my line of questions will be soon taking me to one of the local tuners here, see if they think it'd be worth a go and how much they might be able to get for me with a tune.

Thank you for your thoughts gentlemen.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I would get a custom cam designed for stock manifolds or a LS6 cam, ported TB, SSRA or chris1313 ram air, and a under drive pulley.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z-camaro
I would get a custom cam designed for stock manifolds or a LS6 cam, ported TB, SSRA or chris1313 ram air, and a under drive pulley.
Since I can't do the install myself, cam is kind of out of the question due to price. That's one of those mods that of any I could possibly do, would DEFINITELY not do half-assed.

I've been looking at the different ram airs available, and have been considering it as the price is right, but I've seen a lot of conflicting reports on those (though the majority have been good admittedly).

Had forgotten about a UDP as well.

Can I get any more substantive evidence of a real benefit to a ported TB? Kinda on the fence about that still mostly because I haven't seen too large a number of people chime in about real power gains from that. I've seen many people say that they feel throttle response is improved, but not too many talk about actual gains.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, you not left with very many proven, bang-for-the-buck options. I would say get a performance tune, 3.90 or 4.11 gears, ported TB, and UDP(powerbond), also a better merger on the Y-pipe(Vibrant).
Old 01-16-2013, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

OP, I hear what you are saying about the TB, but for around a $100 (basically nothing if you do it yourself) I think it's worth it. I'll know soon on this one for sure lol
Old 01-17-2013, 09:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a dyno tune is money well spent when you have a good running ls1 it will give u a little extra power, and the ssra or similar will gain a few.

Quick Reply: Thinking out loud, so to speak...