Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

what would your next step be?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 06:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what would your next step be?

hello everyone,

I've been driving my car around for a while now and i've gotten i guess "bored" with my set up and the power and i just want to get some more power to the wheels. I want to keep the car N/A and my set-up is in my signature, what would yalls next step be if you wanted to make more power?

Thanks for the help,
Travis
Old 01-16-2013, 06:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jesus! That's a massive cam for an otherwise stock, N/A car. If you're wanting to stick with that cam, you're gonna' need a set of better flowing heads. I'd at least step up to a 243 casting. If you have the skrill, have them ported. Flowtech Induction and Advanced Induction both do an excellent job. Then either have your Ls6 ported or get a FAST. Get yourself a larger TB (90mm-ish). And finally, GET RID OF THAT HORRID K&N! Get yourself a Svede OTRCAI! There. That should give you a decent bump in power.
When you get bored with that (if you're still wanting to stay N/A), it'll be time to restart, add some displacement, and bump the compression.

Last edited by thehazz12; 01-16-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:49 PM
Teching In

I've been told that too man! The cam is pretty big, i bought the car with the mods it has so im trying to change it up and make everything work. My goal is to be around 450
Old 01-16-2013, 06:52 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

Ditch the stupidly-large cam, I bet you'd be happy with the return of torque alone.
If you're looking for more power, either get a set of 243s and have them done by AI or Flowtech, or even just send in your 241s. There will be about a 10rwhp difference between the two.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:55 PM
Teching In

any help on what cam would go well with what i have? i know heads would between $1900-2500 not including porting
Old 01-16-2013, 06:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by audacious nick
Ditch the stupidly-large cam, I bet you'd be happy with the return of torque alone.
I was thinking the same thing. I just wasn't sure if the OP wanted to tackle a cam swap or not.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rockrocks77
any help on what cam would go well with what i have? i know heads would between $1900-2500 not including porting
Honestly, and if you're wanting to maximize a setup, your best option is to get a custom ground cam. Ed Curtis of Flowtech Induction would design you an awesome cam.
If you're wanting a cookie-cutter, shelf grind the Torquer V2 from TSP seems to be a pretty popular one. My buddy had the 228R in his and loved it. That was a damn quick car. It's a mild cam, but it worked really well for him and his setup. You can get away with spending less than that on heads. Keep an eye out on the classifieds on this forum, Corvette forums, GTO forums, pretty much any forum dealing largely with Ls engines. Good deals pop up pretty often. You just have to have the cash ready and act quickly. Look into Craigslist, too. And don't only look locally. Anywho, the 243/799 casting is an awesome head. Try and pick up a cheap set around $300 or so and send it to either of the aforementioned companies. They'll basically rebuild the head and CNC port it for $1,000-1,500. Seems like a lot, but when you tally up everything you get for that price, it's not a bad deal at all. I sold a set to an Ls2 GTO guy who sent them to AI. On a bolt-on auto, he picked up 38whp just from switching from his 243's to ported ones.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Yall have gave me great advice so far, I've got a good amount saved up but waiting till i have all the tax return money back to get the ball rolling completely. If i just did a cam swap, would i still need to get the 243s? I'm sorry i'm kinda new to this
Old 01-16-2013, 07:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rockrocks77
Yall have gave me great advice so far, I've got a good amount saved up but waiting till i have all the tax return money back to get the ball rolling completely. If i just did a cam swap, would i still need to get the 243s? I'm sorry i'm kinda new to this
Depends on the cam. If you went smaller, no.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

A set of ported/polished 243 heads would make a huge difference, especially with that cam, or any cam for that matter. The K&N is a heat soak fiend, get a Svede ASAP. You might consider beefing up the suspension to keep up with that power. A Harrop diff cover is pricey, but it helps keep your rear planted and cools your diff with its extra fluid capacity. A nice one piece driveshaft would make a bigger difference than you think. Oh, and get rid of that crappy stock shifter if you are an M6. A GMM race is a great mod! If you are an A4, a stall and tranny cooler would be a good place to spend your money as well.

Last edited by SJFGTO; 01-17-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SJFGTO
A set of ported/polished 243 heads would make a huge difference, especially with that cam, or any cam for that matter. The K&N is a heat soak fiend, get a Svede ASAP. You might consider beefing up the suspension to keep up with that power. A Harrop diff cover is pricey, but it helps keep your rear planted and cools your diff with its extra fluid capacity. A nice one piece driveshaft would make a bigger difference than you think. Oh, and get rid of that crappy stock shifter if you are an M6. A GMM race is a great mod! If you are an A4, a stall and tranny cooler would be a good place to spend your money as well.
A one-piece driveshaft isn't totally necessary. DSS makes some very stout 2-piece driveshafts that would be an equally good upgrade.
http://www.driveshaftshop.com/domest...ts/pontiac/gto
Old 01-17-2013, 09:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as power mods I think cylinder heads should be your next buy.

As previously mentioned be sure to fix the suspension problems and beef up the driveline. Also, having an 04 you may wish to consider brakes. I'm at 400whp also and a BBK would certainly not hurt.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

You already have the cam, I wouldn't spend extra money changing it if you are happy with it. As stated a better intake manifold/air intake would do wonders for you. I would start with those two things and then tackle your suspension
Old 01-17-2013, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

my honest opinion with that big of a cam, yes 243/799 heads will pick up hp but you should look into texas speeds 227 heads they will flow that cam really well also as stated above get rid of the k&n its a heat soaking turd. also look into getting a fast intake 92mm would work better on your small bore. just remember you need the small things when you do this type of work you cant leave them out or they will bite you in the ***
Old 01-18-2013, 08:17 AM
Staging Lane

Default Power

Take care of any current issues it has as far as suspension then depending on how much you want to spend PRC 227's from Texas speed or give Ed Curtis a call from FTI. Don't forget to set aside a some money to get great tune on the car. Top shelf parts are only a name if they aren't dialed in. With the power the car will make a clutch will probably be a solid next investment.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:02 PM
Teching In

you guys are awesome, i appreciate all of this. Yall have given me some great advice and i think i know what im gonna do now. I hope there's some goats at the meet this weekend in Tustin. Thanks again guys, this forum will help turn my car from to
Old 02-05-2013, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

I think you could keep the cam, and get a set of 243's n be lookin at some nice power. But, you could definitely sell your cam and get something that fits your build. It really just depends on what you want. And for 450whp you can achieve that with a smaller cam than that.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:46 PM
TECH Resident

With that cam, on a budget, I would get a LS3 swap (heads and intake). It won't be the most optimal setup, but it should get you about 50rwhp for around $1400. You could also upgrade to an UDP while you're in there.

For those commenting on the size of the cam, y'all do realize it's just 238/240 duration right?
Old 02-20-2013, 12:24 AM
Staging Lane

Rock, what transmission are you rockin?

I went with a Billet Pro shifter for my M6. It doesnt add power, necessarily, but it definitely was a great mod, because its something that you use a lot and, therefore, gives you a gratifying feeling a lot. Recently, I drove a friends goat with a stock shifter, and the difference was exponential.

Also, I'm with the other guys, get a Svede OTRCAI and get better flowing heads!
Old 02-20-2013, 03:19 PM
Teching In

I want to do an ls3 top end swap as well

Quick Reply: what would your next step be?