Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
View Poll Results: Which would you go with for a street suspension?
Qa1 coilovers
10.81%
Bilstein/Eibach
29.73%
Strange coilovers
8.11%
Other
51.35%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

2001 WS6 Street Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 07:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2001 WS6 Street Suspension

Which would you go with on a 2001 trans am street car?
Old 01-18-2013, 08:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 94LS1B4C
KONI... make sure everything is adjustable
Old 01-18-2013, 08:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm doing mine on a budget this spring...Bilstein/BMR for me. Already bought the springs while they were on sale, will buy the shocks and adjustable PHB soon.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

Koni/Stock springs
Bilstein/Stock springs
Bilstein/SLP Eibach springs
Koni/Strano

On a street car, ride and handling are much higher priorities for. AFCO, Strange, QA1, are all drag shocks, and not good for a street car.

I also wouldn't get caught up in the "aftermarket control arm" thing, especially for a street car. The stock parts are actually much better at absorbing hard road use than the aftermarket stuff.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

This past summer at the goodguy's autocross vendor section, QA1 was marketing there F body coil-overs with springs matched to what you intend to do with the car.

http://www.qa1.net/qa1_motorsports/d...l-systems.html

I don't mind if the ride is a little firm, but I would like the adjustability of ride height and maybe the struts and shocks. I purchased the bilstein/SLP Eibach spring package but have not installed them yet. I just didn't know if I should go with a coil-over setup?
Old 01-18-2013, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lees02WS6

I also wouldn't get caught up in the "aftermarket control arm" thing, especially for a street car. The stock parts are actually much better at absorbing hard road use than the aftermarket stuff.

Are you saying aftermarket lower control arms aren't worth getting ? I thought they helped put power better on the ground and improved ride ?
Old 01-18-2013, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm assuming with the qa1 coilovers the conversion kit will be needed.?
Old 01-18-2013, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Koni ftw
Old 01-18-2013, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaraderie
Are you saying aftermarket lower control arms aren't worth getting ? I thought they helped put power better on the ground and improved ride ?
If you're into drag racing they might help get power to the ground. They definitely positively do NOT improve ride quality. They will make it worse.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:15 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Koni's rock... but I'm not sure this fellow needs them or is after that level of setup. Of course, who knows what he's after because all he asked is what you would do which isn't very helpful.

I would guess he wants to lower the car given the options he listed in his poll, but he also might assume he has to lower it to make it handle a lot better (not true, good shocks and sway bars will do wonders even with stock springs). Lowering can help, but it can also hurt if you pick the wrong springs or lower the car too far.

I'd say the most popular thing I sell is my HP2 kit which are Bilstein's and Strano Springs. $620 gets you both and many folks are pretty happy with it. I'm more shock picky and I like more rebound control so I personally use Koni's. I'd skip Eibach, though I sell them too, and in fact have a used set in the building if you want 'em they'd be cheaper... but they are here because they were replaced with mine on a customer's car.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-18-2013, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
If you're into drag racing they might help get power to the ground. They definitely positively do NOT improve ride quality. They will make it worse.
I didn't know that . I was misinformed thanks for clearing it up
Old 01-18-2013, 11:49 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

If you're asking about a street setup, avoid the Strange and QA1 shocks. I would stick with Bilsteins since they're an awesome performing street shock. Eibach springs are known to drop cars low and continue to drop lower as they begin sagging over time. Our springs come with a lifetime warranty against sag. Bilsteins w/BMR is my vote! haha
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 01-18-2013, 12:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Koni's rock... but I'm not sure this fellow needs them or is after that level of setup. Of course, who knows what he's after because all he asked is what you would do which isn't very helpful.

I would guess he wants to lower the car given the options he listed in his poll, but he also might assume he has to lower it to make it handle a lot better (not true, good shocks and sway bars will do wonders even with stock springs). Lowering can help, but it can also hurt if you pick the wrong springs or lower the car too far.

I'd say the most popular thing I sell is my HP2 kit which are Bilstein's and Strano Springs. $620 gets you both and many folks are pretty happy with it. I'm more shock picky and I like more rebound control so I personally use Koni's. I'd skip Eibach, though I sell them too, and in fact have a used set in the building if you want 'em they'd be cheaper... but they are here because they were replaced with mine on a customer's car. If you're asking about a street setup, avoid the Strange and QA1 shocks. I would stick with Bilsteins since they're an awesome performing street shock. Eibach springs are known to drop cars low and continue to drop lower as they begin sagging over time. Our springs come with a lifetime warranty against sag. Bilsteins w/BMR is my vote! haha
(The car is going to be a street car and not be driven much, will not see the drag strip) But am building it to be a pretty radical street car, and it will have some of the characteristics of a "road race" car.

Question for both... I know this has probably been covered before but since you both responded.. Sam, how does the Eibach prokit compare to your spring? what are the differences? I am in fact looking to lower the car and liked the idea of having adjustable ride height which is why I mentioned the QA1's and Strange coil-overs but it is not a necessity. I am able to get the Eibach springs new for a hell of a price with my employee discount.

Kevin @ BMR, I have used some of the BMR components which we sell and I love the quality of your products... so same question goes to you about the springs?

Last edited by 94LS1B4C; 01-18-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

The Eibach's are 400 front, 80-137 rear. Mine are 550 front, 100-150 rear (in both cases the soft rate is only a tender or "take up" rate and the higher rate is the working rate).

I developed my springs starting in 2004, finalizing the rates and all and starting production in 2006 after using the critical specs to win 2 of my then 3 (now a lot more) National Championship. They've been around for while with a proven track record, literally and figuratively. I have somewhere over 2000 sets all with the same spring rates and all out there. I get about 120 sets at a time, do that 3-4 times a year, for more than 6 years. I always run out at some point so I must not be doing too badly. While others have "made springs" longer than I have, mine have not changed... others have in both design and rate in the last few years. And those others have gone from progressive fronts to linear fronts (like mine), and cut the rear rates down to be closer to mine from what their previous versions were.

Also if you ask me, I'm very happy to fill you in on who makes the springs for me (neither of the companies here make them in house) and why. And that has changed a bit because I finally found something here I could get the quality control and weights I wanted. So for the last 2 years and about 800 sets.. they've been made in the USA to my spec by Hyperco in Logansport IN. I never felt the need to do the flag waving because I think the product speaks for itself and I only ever wanted the best product. Just so happens I could make this work, and like Apple, it cost me more to move the production here to a well known company and get the material I needed.

Eibach's don't have enough spring rate to support the amount of drop, and the rears don't get into the higher rate, fast enough. That 137 vs. 150 rate difference is on the order of 10% different, 10% matters. I not only have a little more rate without going too stiff (too much is as bad in other ways as not enough), but I get into that rate immediately when the car is on the ground. Eibachs still are transitioning meaning you dynamically have less spring early on than the 137 rate... That combined with a lack of quality damping means you have faster and common interfaces with the bumpstop. Now, you're gonna hit them... the trick is when you do the transition isn't nasty, and if you get a huge spike in rate change (which happens with too soft springs) it's not fun. And if the shocks don't damp the movement properly, which is their job after all, you again get impact harshness you don't want. The ride suffers, and the control of the car, the planted feel isn't there either.

I answered first, at least as I typed this. I don't have the benefit of knowing how anyone will counter, so I was as specific as I could be without, I hope, boring you to death.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-18-2013, 05:36 PM
FormerVendor

I voted Other. Other being Strano springs, whichever damper he recommends for your budget, and any UMI support equipment you may need.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sam, how is the ride height with your spring? It sounds like you have the spring I am looking for... just would like to know how it sits. I had the Eibachs in there before and I had to had helper bags in the back because the springs were so weak, so I've been making a new setup for 2013, and so far have the bilstein shocks/struts. Do those shocks/struts work well with your springs?
Old 01-23-2013, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sam, how is the ride height with your spring? It sounds like you have the spring I am looking for... just would like to know how it sits. I had the Eibachs in there before and I had to had helper bags in the back because the springs were so weak, so I've been making a new setup for 2013, and so far have the bilstein shocks/struts. Do those shocks/struts work well with your springs?
Hey man, on stranos site, I believe they have pics of their springs installed on a few F-bodies to give examples of height and stance. I'm pretty sure I'll be going with the Bilstein/Koni package for my T/A.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:16 PM
TECH Regular

I am leaning towards Strano springs with Koni adjustable shocks... seems like a good combo to me...
Old 02-02-2013, 04:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think I am going to return my Eibach springs and get the Strano springs. Does anyone have any pictures of Strano springs with the rear spring isolator delete? It seems like some cars with Strano springs tend to sit higher than others.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by 94LT1TA6spd
I am leaning towards Strano springs with Koni adjustable shocks... seems like a good combo to me...
There's a reason that combo is so popular. It's been proven time and time again.

I run Sam's springs, bars, Koni's, Watt's and a bunch of UMI stuff.

Sometimes it seems that people refuse to use the strano/koni setup. i don't know if it's because some people just want to be different or are new to the boards.

Quick Reply: 2001 WS6 Street Suspension