Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Newish monster stg. 2, is it my trans now?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Newish monster stg. 2, is it my trans now?

I replaced my clutch and hydraulics back in august. I went with a monster stage 2, new gm slave, tick adj master, and a speed bleeder. Brand new DOT 4 fluid. No problems with the pedal. My issue is that when i start moving from 1st it sounds like there is a grinding sound below 1500-2000 RPMs. Is this normal for the monster? It didn't do that in the first 1500 miles i put on it. My car is in storage right now because of the salted roads but I want to figure this out. It only happens in first and goes away once I move into higher RPMs. It also seemed like I could pop out of fourth without depressing the clutch. I hope its not the trans! I would appreciate your insight.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like typical clutch chatter or squeal do a google search of monster stage 3s chatter or squeal and see if it sounds like what you have going on. Side note is i hope you adjusted that tick master properly.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

The tick master is adjusted. Engagement is right where it should be. I cant pop into gears without depressing the clutch. Its not a squeal its more of a grinding sound it could be chatter maybe. Ill check out one of those threads to see if its the same thing. Any other thoughts?
Old 01-30-2013, 09:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my monster clutch had a long write up about proper break in, were you able to complete the break in procedure properly?
Old 02-02-2013, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

Yes I put all city miles on it for close to 1k. I was reading a thread about other monster clutches and they were talking about a higher rpm needed for the 6 puck to grab properly. So I believe it is just because I have a stage 2 with not enough power. An excuse for more power adders i guess!
Old 02-03-2013, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the Monster stage 2 myself, and while I did have chatter for probably 1500-2000 miles, there was no grinding noise like you are talking about. As far as what is causing that noise, I really don't know. Lets hope your trans is okay.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:23 PM
TECH Resident

So I just got the car out of storage today and put about 100 miles on her. I started her up right before I was gonna put her in the garage and it sounded really choppy on startup. It is not a grinding sound but more of a chugging. It also happens from a stop into 1st gear. I can really feel the choppiness in the shifter. Any ideas guys? Trans? Or is there something with the clutch install? When I put the monster in, I made sure to double and triple check all the bolts. Could it be motor mounts? I have a new trans mount in, maybe its not tight enough? Its bothering me!
Old 04-24-2013, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know why a trans mount would do that. But swap the stocker in. No reason to get the stiff trans mount.

Does the car go into gear ok? Full disengagement?
Old 04-25-2013, 04:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gconnoyer
I dont know why a trans mount would do that. But swap the stocker in. No reason to get the stiff trans mount.

Does the car go into gear ok? Full disengagement?
I was just guessing some things. not a clue whats going on. Car goes into gear fine and disengages. And I should have said it was a stock replacement not a poly. I may put a video up too.

Quick Reply: Newish monster stg. 2, is it my trans now?