Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake Pad Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 10:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pad Install Question

Sorry retarded question here but I took my front pads off and installing new ones. I don't remember if the wear indicator pad goes on the inside or outside of the rotor? Any help would be appreciated. 2000 firebird 3.8
Old 01-28-2013, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

On the front, the noise maker is on the inboard pad on the top. Rear brakes have the noise maker on the outboard pad on the bottom. Weird that they did it that way, but whatever.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
On the front, the noise maker is on the inboard pad on the top. Rear brakes have the noise maker on the outboard pad on the bottom. Weird that they did it that way, but whatever.
Odd on the rear mine are on the inside. The pads are different for inner and outer I could ONLY put it on the inner in the rear...
Old 01-28-2013, 11:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hm you have me second guessing that now too. But I do recall the fronts being on the inside for sure.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:21 AM
Staging Lane

I always put them on the inside because I once read and have observed that the inside pads normaly wear out faster. Another reason is because you can't visually inspect the inside pads easily, therefore the wear indicator needs to be on the inside. Having said that, these cars may be different, but as a general rule, I've always put and been told to put the wear indicators on the inside. Good luck.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ajwoodtransport
I always put them on the inside because I once read and have observed that the inside pads normaly wear out faster. Another reason is because you can't visually inspect the inside pads easily, therefore the wear indicator needs to be on the inside. Having said that, these cars may be different, but as a general rule, I've always put and been told to put the wear indicators on the inside. Good luck.
That's what I was thinking too but now the question is should they go on the top or bottom. lol
Old 01-29-2013, 07:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Vi3t
That's what I was thinking too but now the question is should they go on the top or bottom. lol
Mine only fit in the slides one way and all the one's I've had, already have the backing plates and wear indicator already glued on. I would think it would be pretty self evident....however there are a lot of different designs out there....some glued, some not, some belved, some not, some with extra shims, some not, etc, etc, etc. If nothing else, on the old pads, look to see which pad, and where on the pad the piston left it's mark and try to simulate. Good luck.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Doesn't matter if they go inside or outside pad. In an ideal world if your calipers are functioning properly both pads will wear at the same rate.

Not even mentioning, I don't think I've ever taken a car down to the "screamers" other than once. The screamers normally snap off after they start touching within a day or two.

How do I know if my brakes are bad? Easy, quick look when I rotate the tires and/or replace the tires.

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Install Question