Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by js2fst
Anyone test them over stock? Is it worth it
Seriously? Look like 3 threads down...
Try a search.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously yes I know you can install them and there are stock rearend problems and yes you can grind them to fit 17inch and smaller wheels

All of these have nothing to do with me.

Alot of the cars that have installed have not tested the gains?

Alot of the cars that have done these brakes mods have few other mods to support the brakes mods.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is a pretty beat down topic, maybe if it were made a sticky... oh, it is. Ill hook you up though:

Personally I think the 5th gen brembos are the best option. They are available and still produced on an oem car, the can be had on ebay and through slp (both used) on the cheap. They dont require you to space the caliper (cts-v does, the caliper looks the same but its offset is slightly different) but you do have to bore the disk hub out if using oem camaro rotors or use the 14" zo6 rotor. You also have to drill the caliper bolt holes on the ls1 spindle out to 9/16th, but its mad easy and IMHO is a better option than spacing the caliper. as an added bonus, the matte black caliper already has a camaro logo on it... its almost as if it were made for a camaro, crazy....

The c-5..... seriously why bother now that there are 14" 4 piston calipers for about the same money?

The cts-v... You have to use 14" zo6 rotors to get the proper pad/rotor contact patch (isnt this right?) and then of course there is powder coating the caliper or your stuck rocking a cadillac emblem.

I didnt do a before and after distance check for comparison, but everyone will tell you its worth it to make the upgrade to 14's. besides, its fun to be able to say not only do most imports not make enough torque to tighten my lug nuts, but my brake rotors are almost as big as their wheels!
Old 02-03-2013, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks Jimmy I know there are so many post that go nowhere my car is convertible Ta 4l80e and a ProCharged iron block 408.

So stopping is a major concern
Old 02-03-2013, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jimmyducati
this is a pretty beat down topic, maybe if it were made a sticky... oh, it is. Ill hook you up though:

Personally I think the 5th gen brembos are the best option. They are available and still produced on an oem car, the can be had on ebay and through slp (both used) on the cheap. They dont require you to space the caliper (cts-v does, the caliper looks the same but its offset is slightly different) but you do have to bore the disk hub out if using oem camaro rotors or use the 14" zo6 rotor. You also have to drill the caliper bolt holes on the ls1 spindle out to 9/16th, but its mad easy and IMHO is a better option than spacing the caliper. as an added bonus, the matte black caliper already has a camaro logo on it... its almost as if it were made for a camaro, crazy....

The c-5..... seriously why bother now that there are 14" 4 piston calipers for about the same money?

The cts-v... You have to use 14" zo6 rotors to get the proper pad/rotor contact patch (isnt this right?) and then of course there is powder coating the caliper or your stuck rocking a cadillac emblem.

I didnt do a before and after distance check for comparison, but everyone will tell you its worth it to make the upgrade to 14's. besides, its fun to be able to say not only do most imports not make enough torque to tighten my lug nuts, but my brake rotors are almost as big as their wheels!
You do not need to use 14" z06 rotors and you do not need to space out the cts-v calipers if you use 5th gen SS rotors, I know because I did it on my car. The ss rotors are the ones that give a proper pad/rotor contact.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

Are you guys seeing a big difference?
Old 02-03-2013, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I noticed a BIG difference, but then again the brake fluid was over 6 years old, so I'm sure the new fluid helped a lot. The bigger brakes will help with brake fade because they dissipate heat better.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

didnt know that empatho, thanks for the clarification. Since we have basicly the same brake set up, do you have issues in the rain with initial bite? I notice that during a heavy rain, it takes a second for the pads to really bite, like they have to dry themselves off first... I have hawk hps pads btw
Old 02-06-2013, 05:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Empatho
I noticed a BIG difference, but then again the brake fluid was over 6 years old, so I'm sure the new fluid helped a lot. The bigger brakes will help with brake fade because they dissipate heat better.
Yeah, those are the little details that get masked. When anyone takes a stock brake system and does some simple maintenance, new pads and rotors then most will notice a BIG difference. Dont get me wrong.. I'm sure the bigger calipers make a bigger difference.

I just didn't want to cloud the fact that a little maintenance on your stock system goes a long way.. and I think the idea gets lost by a lot of assumptions that everyone needs a big brake kit to get some sort of improvement.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jimmyducati
didnt know that empatho, thanks for the clarification. Since we have basicly the same brake set up, do you have issues in the rain with initial bite? I notice that during a heavy rain, it takes a second for the pads to really bite, like they have to dry themselves off first... I have hawk hps pads btw
No problem, we are all here to help each other About the brakes in the rain, yes what you describe sounds normal especially with hawk pads. I read a couple of reviews complaining about the same thing.

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Yeah, those are the little details that get masked. When anyone takes a stock brake system and does some simple maintenance, new pads and rotors then most will notice a BIG difference. Dont get me wrong.. I'm sure the bigger calipers make a bigger difference.

I just didn't want to cloud the fact that a little maintenance on your stock system goes a long way.. and I think the idea gets lost by a lot of assumptions that everyone needs a big brake kit to get some sort of improvement.
Yup, a lot of people compare the old worn out parts to the brand new parts. I personally did the bbk for the looks

Quick Reply: Cts v c-5 or 5th gen camaro brakes which is better