Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

C5Z calipers on 94 TA

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 01:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C5Z calipers on 94 TA

Hey guys,

Just picked these up, and am looking forward to getting them installed. My Trans is in storage till April, but I am hoping to do the swap right away once its out.

I also picked up a set of magnesium C5 wheels from a member here, I am powder coating them flat black, I think the combo will look good, and hopefully work better than stock!

I know that these arent nearly as exciting as some of the 4 and 6 piston upgrades that some of you gays are doing, but I still think these will be a big upgrade from stock!

Anyways, just wanted to share. Any thoughts are welcome.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:19 AM
TECH Regular

Aren't they exactly the same as F-body Calipers?
Old 02-06-2013, 12:13 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by WS.666
Aren't they exactly the same as F-body Calipers?
They're very similar. They're identical to the C5 calipers, aside from the red finish. They will use a 13-inch rotor which will increase braking leverage and increase rotor surface area to dissipate heat. Big improvement? Meh, not that big. Certainly an improvement and cost-effective since C5 rotors are cheap and caliper prices are dropping.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-06-2013, 12:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
They're very similar. They're identical to the C5 calipers, aside from the red finish. They will use a 13-inch rotor which will increase braking leverage and increase rotor surface area to dissipate heat. Big improvement? Meh, not that big. Certainly an improvement and cost-effective since C5 rotors are cheap and caliper prices are dropping.
You would still need the bracket to run the larger rotors on an F-body. You can't just slap on the calipers and run bigger rotors.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:25 PM
TECH Regular

^^^
Yes, I am upgrading the Spindles to LS1, larger rotor, larger wheels, steel lines and 6LE relocation brackets
Old 02-06-2013, 02:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 94LT1TA6spd
^^^
Yes, I am upgrading the Spindles to LS1, larger rotor, larger wheels, steel lines and 6LE relocation brackets
You don't HAVE to run LS1 spindles, they just require less trimming than the LT1 spindles. Also, what made you choose 6LE brackets? Im just not a fan of the spacer/multiple piece design. BMR is the same price and is a one piece bracket.

I'm in the process of piecing together my brake upgrade as well for my LT1. I'm going to run BMR C5 conversion brackets, 98-02 Fbody calipers, 13" C5 rotors, WS6store Stainless Steel Brake Line kit, and Hawk HPS Brake Pads.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:51 PM
TECH Regular

^^^
thanks for the info.

I do want to run LS1 spindles, simply because the car is in storage for the winter, and I was hoping to get everything fitted and prepped for install in the Spring.

I was leaning towards 6LE brackets because they said that trimming on the LS1 spindles isnt required. I will look into the BMR ones though and see what theyre all about.

What size of wheels are you running in the front??
Mine are 17x8.5, I was hoping that I could get away with 14" rotors, but I am starting to think that I wont be able to...
Looks like 13" is as big as I can go without grinding on the calipers, which I would prefer not to do.
I was also leaning towards the 6LE steel lines, but I will look into the WS6 ones as well. I am new to all this, and appreciate any info I can get!!
Old 02-07-2013, 12:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 17x9.5" rims on the front of my car at the moment. I believe with the C5 calipers/conversion brackets, you can only do 13" rotors. Any bigger and you'd have to bump up to an 18" wheel, which I am usually not a fan of (added weight and lesser die quality usually). But if you were already on an 18" wheel and like it that way, you might as well do CTS-V brakes.

Quick Reply: C5Z calipers on 94 TA