New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ExMopar New to 98 z28

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ExMopar New to 98 z28

Man o Man this is going to be alot of getting use to Exmopar owner just got my first ls1 z28. Bought it with an exhaust system already on it and it sounds pretty dam good. Trying to think hard about my first mod. lower it change the suspension or buy some headers and catless y pipe first. I dont plan on doing much but I am glad to be a part of the ls1 fam now.
I will have better pics soon

Old 02-05-2013, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cant go wrong with silver bro! Great find you got yourself

Welcome aboard!
Old 02-05-2013, 11:01 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the family! My first mod would be getting rid of that dealership sticker on the rear But really... you'll want to invest in a lid, if it doesn't already have one on it. Easiest and cheapest hp on these cars. Read the "So You Wanna Be Fast" sticky. Lots of good information there. Out of curiosity, what kind of catback does it have on it?
Old 02-05-2013, 11:36 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

My favorite color.

I agree with the suggestion to install an air lid if it doesn't already have one.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome OP! what was your last mopar you had?
Old 02-06-2013, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by sawblade99Z
Welcome to the family! My first mod would be getting rid of that dealership sticker on the rear But really... you'll want to invest in a lid, if it doesn't already have one on it. Easiest and cheapest hp on these cars. Read the "So You Wanna Be Fast" sticky. Lots of good information there. Out of curiosity, what kind of catback does it have on it?
haha thanks man, taking off that dealership sticker was the first thing that came to mind. I am going to try my best to get up to par without asking to many of the same questions that everybody else does. And I have a flowmaster exhaust. it turns heads so thats a plus.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Zlow28
Welcome OP! what was your last mopar you had?
Thanks man, my last car was a chrysler 300c srt8, had a 426 stroker motor. but that thing has me terrified, fun times but to many bad experiences.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:30 AM

Ok so let me ask this one question... My steering is a bit stiff some what hard to turn at times is this normal in the f bodies.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:47 AM
TECH Resident

Its shouldnt be that hard. With 275s up front on my SS I can spin the wheels lock to lock with one finger. The power steering is over driven in these car to make up for big front tires, which also causes heat issues.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by oChristiano
Its shouldnt be that hard. With 275s up front on my SS I can spin the wheels lock to lock with one finger. The power steering is over driven in these car to make up for big front tires, which also causes heat issues.
Hmmm yea something has to be wrong Ill be sure to make note of it when I get it inspected in the a.m. no car should have a tough steer like mines does
Old 02-06-2013, 10:50 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by KingGemini24
Ok so let me ask this one question... My steering is a bit stiff some what hard to turn at times is this normal in the f bodies.
Have you checked the fluid level? A simple low fluid condition can cause this. But if it's low on fluid, then this would indicate some other problem such as a leak somewhere. Might be a very slow leak though, only time would tell since the car is new to you.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:41 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

haha thanks man, taking off that dealership sticker was the first thing that came to mind. I am going to try my best to get up to par without asking to many of the same questions that everybody else does. And I have a flowmaster exhaust. it turns heads so thats a plus.
Sounds like you're on the right track then! Here is the link to the thread I mentioned: https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...anna-fast.html

You'll probably read a lot on here about how Flowmaster flows worse than even the stock muffler does, assuming it's the 80 series. But if you aren't shooting for max hp and just like the sound of it, keep it. I'm quite partial to the 40 series sound myself, and you won't be shorting yourself many ponies anyway.

The steering in my Ram (see sig) is very sensitive compared to my Camaro, for whatever that is worth. But if your problem is comparable to having no power steering at all, then you may have a leak somewhere like RPM said. Welcome to the wonderful world of the f-body, where there's always something that leaks, squeaks, or rattles
Old 02-06-2013, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get us some pics under the car and we can tell you which exhaust you have (unless you know already).

Hope its a 6 speed!
Old 02-06-2013, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It must be a 6speed
Old 02-07-2013, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Have you checked the fluid level? A simple low fluid condition can cause this. But if it's low on fluid, then this would indicate some other problem such as a leak somewhere. Might be a very slow leak though, only time would tell since the car is new to you.
everything seems to be fine, got the car inspected so they didnt say anything was wrong, just something I must get use to got to remember this isnt a dodge.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
Get us some pics under the car and we can tell you which exhaust you have (unless you know already).

Hope its a 6 speed!
Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
It must be a 6speed
learning how to drive a stick is on the to do list, as complicated as it looks im sure its pretty easy. I know id burn up the clutch trying to learn. and I have the flowmaster exhaust Im going to buy some headers in a week or so along with a new exhaust sense I dont know how old my current one is

Last edited by KingGemini24; 02-07-2013 at 02:12 AM. Reason: editing
Old 02-07-2013, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by sawblade99Z
Sounds like you're on the right track then! Here is the link to the thread I mentioned: https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...anna-fast.html

You'll probably read a lot on here about how Flowmaster flows worse than even the stock muffler does, assuming it's the 80 series. But if you aren't shooting for max hp and just like the sound of it, keep it. I'm quite partial to the 40 series sound myself, and you won't be shorting yourself many ponies anyway.

Yea I'm going to swap the exhaust, getting headers and maybe an slp exhaust I like the power its pretty dam nice

The steering in my Ram (see sig) is very sensitive compared to my Camaro, for whatever that is worth. But if your problem is comparable to having no power steering at all, then you may have a leak somewhere like RPM said. Welcome to the wonderful world of the f-body, where there's always something that leaks, squeaks, or rattles
lol you got that right mine is making all kinds of noises sounds like a cab but im use to it gotta learn to adapt and that I am doing. those dodge days are over....for now

Quick Reply: ExMopar New to 98 z28