General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Educate me on this 2002 SS Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 04:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Educate me on this 2002 SS Camaro

I am thinking about buying a NBM 2002 SS A4, It appears to be a SLP car as it has the SLP Blackwig lid, and middle exit exhaust. There is also a sticker from SLP on the passenger side door that list the additions, as follows

Side Moldings
345 HP Performance Exhaust
Floor Mats
Console badge
key fob badge
Custom SLP Car Cover
Custom trunk mat

Im adding the drivers door sticker and see what info can be had from it.

The car is is PRISTINE condition and has 91k miles. He was asking 10, but we got it down to 8k. What thinks you guys?

Old 02-07-2013, 04:40 PM
TECH Regular

Wu8 and y2y codes mean its a true SS and it can possibly have slp options. You have already check and read the options you have which is good. 8k isn't a steal but if its in pristine condition like you say it sounds like a fair deal for both of you. Any pictures ?
Old 02-07-2013, 05:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Every SS is an SLP car. GM did not build any 4th gen Camaro SSs.

By 2002, I believe Y2Y is present on every SS, including base content only SSs.

Any additional SLP content should be listed on the supplemental door sticker on the passenger side. If the sticker is missing, you can contact SLP with your VIN for this information.

WU8 = original SS

Y2Y originally indicated additional SLP content above and beyond the base SS package, but in '01 or '02 I believe they started putting this code on every SS.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heres the 02 RPO codes
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2002 RPO Codes.pdf (116.9 KB, 116 views)
Old 02-07-2013, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Sounds like you got a nice car! NBM is one of my favourite 4th gen SS colors!

More pics!
Old 02-07-2013, 06:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the car is clean it sounds like a fair price
Old 02-07-2013, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

My 01 has y2y with no additional content.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Embarassed by the pics, soooo dirty,,,I need to get her home and washed.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Additional questions..

1. How close to the claimed 345hp should this car be? Its bone stock.

2. With the current lid/exhaust are aftermarket ones needed?

3. I have always been an LT1 guy. I am going to have about 2 grand to put into this car, what should I put that money into?
Old 02-07-2013, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

300whp prolly

Stall would be my first mod.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:53 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by GreenBlood55
1. How close to the claimed 345hp should this car be? Its bone stock.
A Z28/Formula/TA/WS6 or base SS LS1 (all rated at between 305-325hp depending on year and trim level) will all actually make about 345-350 crank horsepower in stock configuration. Your "345hp" package car is probably making more like 360-365hp at the crank.

2. With the current lid/exhaust are aftermarket ones needed?
SLP dual/dual and a Blackwing lid are comparable to any other lid/catback combo, so there is no need to change them in the name of more power. However, not everyone likes the whisper quiet sound of the dual/dual, so some might want to change that for a louder system or add a cutout.

3. I have always been an LT1 guy. I am going to have about 2 grand to put into this car, what should I put that money into?
There is no way to answer that question without knowing what your primary goals are. You could do anything from power adding/acceleration improving modifications to suspension/handling modifications. It's entirely up to you.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Not sure about your description of 'pristine', not when a car is as filthy as that. Let's say the car is in 'good' condition. $8,000 would be fine if there are no mechanical problems or serious needs. The Sumos have plenty of tread which is a plus, as long as you like those. Good luck!
Old 02-08-2013, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

As much as everyone goes first for lid, exhaust, tune (you already have the lid and exhaust). I would put a set of UMI subframe connectors on first. The added stiffness to the body is worth every penny! After that you need to determine your goals with the car, as said already by RPM.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:03 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Not sure about your description of 'pristine', not when a car is as filthy as that. Let's say the car is in 'good' condition. $8,000 would be fine if there are no mechanical problems or serious needs. The Sumos have plenty of tread which is a plus, as long as you like those. Good luck!
I agree with Dave on all counts.

91k miles and dirty does not equal "pristine", but it very well might be "good" condition, in which case the price seems to be right.

Check the chrome wheels for any pitting or peeling, this was common with the chrome 10-spokes when they were exposed to weathering, and there seems to be some rust on the rotor hats, so it's probably seen some weather. Antenna mast seems to be slightly bent as well.

Being an '02 with 91k and a black top, the roof panel is probably showing some signs of bubbling at this point. Might not be noticeable until it's all cleaned up though.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:25 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

My first mod would be putting the floor mats on the correct side

The Lid and exhaust are good unless you want to sell them to get some extra cash (lid specifically). Looks like the car should clean up nice!
Old 02-08-2013, 11:57 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by z-camaro
My first mod would be putting the floor mats on the correct side

The Lid and exhaust are good unless you want to sell them to get some extra cash (lid specifically). Looks like the car should clean up nice!
I noticed that too Haha.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

The car is very dirty in those pictures. I have seen it washed and waxed and its spotless. The rotors are brand new, but do have surface rust from sitting. Long story short, the car is now owned by a shop who's customer couldnt pay the repair bill. The car has sat for the last 4 months. The last 2 outside. The car has never been drivin in the snow/salted roads. The undercarriage has 0 rust. The wheels do not show any signs of pitting or peeling. The tires are brand new with about 40 miles on them. The transmission is also brand new with 40 miles on it. LOL at the floormat, The car was detailed a while back and the detailer took the floor mats out. When I climbed in the other day, i just grabbed one and tossed it down there to keep my dirty boot from the carpet.

Anyways, I bought it. It drives incredibly. Smooth, Straight, and QUICK.

Another question I have.. If I keep the lid and exhaust, how much of a difference would headers make? And, will all LS1 aftermarket headers line up and bolt onto the current exhaust. Part 2. Does anyone sell a chrome version of the exhaust tip that this setup has?
Old 02-08-2013, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

Long tube headers are a good 10-20whp upgrade. They will not go into stock y pipe. Not sure on shorty headers. How are the emmison tests there? Do you have them? Do they run car on the sniffer or just plug in to check the check engine status? I would find out about thoses question first and then decied witch header to get. We have the plug in emmisons here. So I installed long tube headers and deleted the cats and just had a tune and they made it to where the codes did not report.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

They just plug into the computer and get the info from that.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:11 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

The car is very dirty in those pictures. I have seen it washed and waxed and its spotless. The rotors are brand new, but do have surface rust from sitting. Long story short, the car is now owned by a shop who's customer couldnt pay the repair bill. The car has sat for the last 4 months. The last 2 outside. The car has never been drivin in the snow/salted roads. The undercarriage has 0 rust. The wheels do not show any signs of pitting or peeling. The tires are brand new with about 40 miles on them. The transmission is also brand new with 40 miles on it. LOL at the floormat, The car was detailed a while back and the detailer took the floor mats out. When I climbed in the other day, i just grabbed one and tossed it down there to keep my dirty boot from the carpet.
The car does sound very nice. But spotless/flawless/mint/pristine are highly misused terms around here; those are words that describe 100 point trailer-carried show cars. Any car that has seen more than about ~5k miles on the street is not spotless/flawless/mint. Good, very nice, excellent, or near-mint are about the best you can hope for when it comes to a street car.

Another question I have.. If I keep the lid and exhaust, how much of a difference would headers make? And, will all LS1 aftermarket headers line up and bolt onto the current exhaust. Part 2. Does anyone sell a chrome version of the exhaust tip that this setup has?
Headers will be worth the same power gains on this car as they would be on any other lid/catback car. You would need an aftermaket Y-pipe to connect any set of LT headers to your (or any) catback. But otherwise yes, any headers that will fit an LS1 4th gen can be connected to the SLP dual/dual catback just the same as the base exhaust or any other catback.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 02-09-2013 at 01:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Educate me on this 2002 SS Camaro