Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Q for NBM fbody owners (or anyone else that knows)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 05:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q for NBM fbody owners (or anyone else that knows)

My car is supposedly NBM, however it actually goes from being a blue to a purple... is this normal? My friend has a NBM Camaro and hers does not do this. I bought my car used, so the paint could have been changed. I'm just wondering if any of you other guys have paint that does this as well, most people that see my car in person think I have a mystichrome paint or something.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:31 PM
Launching!

My NBM TA does that all the time. Depending upon how the light hits it, it can look light blue, dark blue, purple or any color in between.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

I think the people who wax their car more often will find the purple effect. Mine does it as well and I bought it brand new. I was it all the time.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

My TA isnt NBM but I have a friend with a NBM firebird and it can look purple when the light hits it just right
Old 04-18-2004, 07:47 PM
10 Second Club

Our SS looks purple in the sun at an oblique angle but if you look at it from a right angle (or up close) you can tell it is a dark blue metallic.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:27 PM
Launching!

ok... probably is from the waxing, because I am addicted to Meguires now LMAO!
Old 04-19-2004, 10:29 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I've also found that this color is very inconsistent between cars. Some of them have more purple, some of them more dark blue, some lighter blue. We had three different NBM cars parked next to eachother at a friends house and my Formula looked more purple, one Camaro was lighter, and one Camaro had very little purple to it.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default different NBM's

I agree with NINE BALL - when I went to have my hood/gfx painted, the shop took the paint code but also matched the color with a few different paint "swatches" that he said are variations of the same chevrolet color code (the shop is at the chevy dealership).

and of course at noon and at dusk the car looks completely different - sometimes I wish it were just glossy navy blue but oh well....

this is the lightest I've ever seen my car look - compare it with my sig and you have a pretty wide range!

Old 04-19-2004, 02:17 PM
12 Second Club

Mine changes too. I love the color, and I get compliments on it all the time, I wouldn't change it for nothing. Looks either black or dark blue during the day except for when looking at a side where the sunlight is directly hitting it and it looks like the picture mako22 posted above. At night, under lights, it will have a purple tint to it, the purple tint comes out the most when headlights hit the back of it at night however.

FWIW-I also read somewhere a couple years ago that GM supposedly had a couple different mixtures for this color code, which may account for the inconsistency between cars. It could have been total BS though.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mako22
I agree with NINE BALL - when I went to have my hood/gfx painted, the shop took the paint code but also matched the color with a few different paint "swatches" that he said are variations of the same chevrolet color code (the shop is at the chevy dealership).

and of course at noon and at dusk the car looks completely different - sometimes I wish it were just glossy navy blue but oh well....

this is the lightest I've ever seen my car look - compare it with my sig and you have a pretty wide range!
thanks for that info w/ the paint codes... cuz I plan on getting the mecham TA hood and want the paint to match perfect

Quick Reply: Q for NBM fbody owners (or anyone else that knows)