LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Shorty headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shorty headers

OK. here's the deal. I bought my buddies 95 Formula. Right after I got it I had to replace the cat. I bought the magnaflow that comes with a manderal bent Y pipe. It bolts to the factory manifolds. well I broke 2 studs off each side and I could'nt get them out. They are flush with the manifold flange. I bought these things called Thrush stud fix and put them in. My problem is that I have a small leak on the driver side and cannot get it tight enough as the stud fix thing is in between the flange and the pipe. Anyhow I have searched several times here and cannot find a defenite answer as to what shorties will bolt right up to factory Y pipe locations. its always my cousins friend or why would you want to put shorties on to the factory Y pipe etc. I want to do this as the Y pipe is stainless and I already spent the money on it. So what shorties will bolt right up to a factory Y pipe? If you know for sure let me know. I might as well put headers on now because I have to remove the manifolds anyhow. Another Idea I have is to put the MAC mids on if I can't get shorties to fit.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShaggyLT1
OK. here's the deal. I bought my buddies 95 Formula. Right after I got it I had to replace the cat. I bought the magnaflow that comes with a manderal bent Y pipe. It bolts to the factory manifolds. well I broke 2 studs off each side and I could'nt get them out. They are flush with the manifold flange. I bought these things called Thrush stud fix and put them in. My problem is that I have a small leak on the driver side and cannot get it tight enough as the stud fix thing is in between the flange and the pipe. Anyhow I have searched several times here and cannot find a defenite answer as to what shorties will bolt right up to factory Y pipe locations. its always my cousins friend or why would you want to put shorties on to the factory Y pipe etc. I want to do this as the Y pipe is stainless and I already spent the money on it. So what shorties will bolt right up to a factory Y pipe? If you know for sure let me know. I might as well put headers on now because I have to remove the manifolds anyhow. Another Idea I have is to put the MAC mids on if I can't get shorties to fit.
If you already have mac mids. put them on and dont look back. There a great fit and finish product that will perform. If your worried about getting shorties because you already spent the money on a stainless Y then youll just be wasteing more money going with shorties (unless you still need to pass emissions). The cheapest route would be to take off the stock manifolds. Bring them to a machine shop so that they can replace the broken studs and face the flanges so that they dont leak. Dont waste money on shorties unless you absolutely need too. Mac mids are the better option.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
If you already have mac mids. put them on and dont look back. There a great fit and finish product that will perform. If your worried about getting shorties because you already spent the money on a stainless Y then youll just be wasteing more money going with shorties (unless you still need to pass emissions). The cheapest route would be to take off the stock manifolds. Bring them to a machine shop so that they can replace the broken studs and face the flanges so that they dont leak. Dont waste money on shorties unless you absolutely need too. Mac mids are the better option.
I really did'nt want to pull the manifolds off but now I do. I just thought instead of fixing them I'd throw a set of shorties in thier place as I have the new Y pipe already. I really like the Mac system though as the clearance for plug changes is great so I hear.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:39 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Is there a reason you aren't considering long tubes? Is the fact that you've already spent money on that y-pipe your primary concern?
Old 02-14-2013, 09:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BTC
Is there a reason you aren't considering long tubes? Is the fact that you've already spent money on that y-pipe your primary concern?
I don't want long tubes. If I can't find shorties that will fit then I'll go with the Mac system.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:00 PM
TECH Junkie

I had the macs and now my friend has them on his Z. They have Awesome plug clearance and they clear everything very nicely.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:46 AM
Launching!

I had SLP shorties and dont recommend them. They didnt have a thick enough of a flange and I always had one that leaked. Took them off and sold them fast before I took a BFHammer to them. I went Pacesetter long tubes and did their y pipe and wont look back.

Shorties are a PITA get in there also.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:43 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

I don't want long tubes. If I can't find shorties that will fit then I'll go with the Mac system.
Is there any particular reason you don't want long tubes?
Old 02-15-2013, 07:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think he's made it pretty clear that he wants shorties because he already spent money a y-pipe setup and wants some headers that will bolt up to it....
Old 02-15-2013, 08:17 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
I think he's made it pretty clear that he wants shorties because he already spent money a y-pipe setup and wants some headers that will bolt up to it....
Perhaps, but there are stainless long tube options available that are not very expensive. He also appears open to mid-length headers, which probably would not work with his y-pipe, so I'm skeptical as to whether that is his primary concern.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
^^^ All of that. Macs are the best bang for the buck.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SS RRR
^^^ All of that. Macs are the best bang for the buck.
I talking with another member here about some Mac's right now. My main concern was that I already spent money on a new Y pipe that I will now probably not be able to use unless I fix the manifolds. But if I have to go to all the trouble of removing them then they won't be going back on!! The only problem I see now if I get the Mac's is that my cat doesn't have a flange for the collecter. I guess I'll have to fab something up for that.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:13 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

I guess I'll have to fab something up for that.
You might find a muffler/exhaust shop to flange the cat for a few dollars.

Quick Reply: Shorty headers