Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Wrapped headers to help with under hood temps (d1sc car) what u guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrapped headers to help with under hood temps (d1sc car) what u guys think?

Well me car is finally almost back together after a big detionation that hurt 6 piston and block. So since headers were off figured id give it a shot.
Was my first time so took a while to learn a few tips , I really liked the look of the dei titanium wrap before using silicone coating .
Anyways here a few pic before coating

And after

Old 02-20-2013, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I did that once, it was the biggest mistake wrapping the headers. 2 years later they fell apart. they sweet and rust apart.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

ceramic coat !
Old 02-20-2013, 07:39 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by superstreeter
ceramic coat !
swaintech
Old 02-20-2013, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

I herd the stainless headers hold together. Hope so anyway
Old 02-20-2013, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah it works good on a race application, but it's really hard on the materials for a street car. Can't argue with the results though, it does work. Just have to be prepared to replace the headers when they start to corrode through.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Right on, you are getting good feed back. The wrap works but the headers will be taking the brunt of the beating from the heat. They will be unrecognizable in a short time. Be sure to put some safety wire around the individual wraps. when they start to get cooked and fracture you will get some more time out of you efforts. It's all a trade off. If the heat you were getting was not melting stuff I would not wrap its a last resort for me.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The titanium wrap actually holds up pretty well. It's the only wrap I have used that is reuseable. It isn't brittle like the standard wrap.....once the other stuff is on there,...and you try and take it off, it comes apart, and turns into dust. Titanium wrap won't do that. Also it won't discolor like the other stuff. I didn't coat mine..I have a lot on my car....and we didn't coat the tt goat....also a lot on that car....which is a daily driver.

I know 1 guy with my same tt kit that did wear out his collector on driver side.....that was wrapped but, only after long periods of roadracing....over I believe a few years. Those were mild steel.

Anyways it looks good man. We also coated everything though as well. The wrap,..really helped my underhood temps. Actually made it possible to work on the car while hot...without it,..I'd fry.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

Gets pretty hot here In south Louisiana during the summer . When I'm sitting n traffic the temps under the hood were getting pretty hot so I figured I'd give it a try. If they fall apart soon then ill invest in ceramic coated headers.
On another note, I got my tranny back from finish line today.
Great customer service over there with chuck. Glad to see people still know how to treat customers .

Old 02-20-2013, 08:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
The titanium wrap actually holds up pretty well. It's the only wrap I have used that is reuseable. It isn't brittle like the standard wrap.....once the other stuff is on there,...and you try and take it off, it comes apart, and turns into dust. Titanium wrap won't do that. Also it won't discolor like the other stuff. I didn't coat mine..I have a lot on my car....and we didn't coat the tt goat....also a lot on that car....which is a daily driver.

I know 1 guy with my same tt kit that did wear out his collector on driver side.....that was wrapped but, only after long periods of roadracing....over I believe a few years. Those were mild steel.

Anyways it looks good man. We also coated everything though as well. The wrap,..really helped my underhood temps. Actually made it possible to work on the car while hot...without it,..I'd fry.

Yea I did a little research before jumping into this and found good results using the titianium wrap. I actually know one guy that had it on his car for 4 years and just recently pulled it all off and they were n great shape. Took a little time to get it tight and decent looking but hopefully it pays off. Thanks

Quick Reply: Wrapped headers to help with under hood temps (d1sc car) what u guys think?