General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I have to tone down my exhaust cheaply. Any advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 08:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have to tone down my exhaust cheaply. Any advice

I work for the local sheriff's office and i have been having complaints that r reaching the sheriff about my car being too loud. I would like to keep my job so i have to tone it down a little. I have long tube headers, ory i pipe (no cats), and no muffler into a y pipe into cme. I was thinking of putting in a bullet muffler or resonator. Which one sounds the best but under 100a dollars as i am also trying to sell the car but i domt no how long it is goimg to take. Please any advice thanks. And please no smart a$$ comments like put a muffler on it. And i dont want cats back on it either. Thanks in advance guys and gals.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like we have a pretty similar setup actually. Personally i'm looking at a Magnaflow 14419 muffler, and possibly a FM merge pipe. Both are very cheap, and from what i've heard it will kill a lot of the rasp while still maintaining some good volume.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need a bullet with actual muffler material in it. just throwing a flow through bullet on it wont do anything but change the tone and not the loudness
Old 02-20-2013, 08:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by babbage1109
you need a bullet with actual muffler material in it. just throwing a flow through bullet on it wont do anything but change the tone and not the loudness
Any suggestions
Old 02-20-2013, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Registered.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Borla muffler. Also look into a cutout if you want it loud again http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=26001517007
Old 02-20-2013, 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

Borla, Magnaflow, Dynomax all make bullets.

Magnaflow would probably be the quietest, next loudest borla, then dynomax. i had just a Dynomax 14 or 16 inch bullet on my 94 and it was loud, but not too bad
Old 02-20-2013, 11:38 PM
Teching In

My friend's neighbors called the cops on him because of his exhaust (h-pipe with no mufflers) so he just bought some steel wool and put it inside the tips and it made it quiet. Costs less than 5 bucks and works.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:54 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

When I had my custom Y-pipe built I had a bullet installed with the intention of quieting it down, but all it ended up doing in making it a deeper equally loud tone. At least it killed 90% of the rasp, lol. I plan on replacing the Magnaflow with an SLP Dual Dual.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:00 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say no matter what you do set up wise, whoever is bitching about how loud it is, WILL bitch about it after you change it. They'll hear that it's still loud(if they even notice at all) compared to most other cars, and complain.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:01 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SSkull
I would say no matter what you do set up wise, whoever is bitching about how loud it is, WILL bitch about it after you change it. They'll hear that it's still loud(if they even notice at all) compared to most other cars, and complain.
I've had people complain about stock mufflers. i just say i cant make it any quieter, then i put the tsp rumbler on. hahaha. they never complained again
Old 02-22-2013, 09:25 AM

I agree with this chances are they won't likely be happy with whatever you do unless you go back to stock conf. I however don't really recommend doing that, only as long as you car is "LEGAL" to drive I doubt they could really do anything at all other than complain. 1st thing I would recommend is get within legal limits... which will include getting cats back on the car! (Make sure your legal first... then you will have a better argument against whoever is complaining.)

I had the Asst. Chief of police in Austin, TX question me if my car is legal or not. (At a local high school fundraiser car show)... my answer was: "Nope, not in the state of California sir!"

I know several cops in my area that are car people and have sports cars themselves... I doubt they would fire you, but no I would not want to drive up to a Sheriff station everyday sounding like I am getting ready to go down the Qtr. mile.

Last edited by brnmw; 02-22-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

which will include getting cats back on the car! (Make sure your legal first... then you will have a better argument against whoever is complaining.)

I had the Asst. Chief of police in Austin, TX question me if my car is legal or not. (At a local high school fundraiser car show)... my answer was: "Nope, not in the state of California sir
FYI long tube headers, even with cats, are illegal in all 50 states.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO, your best bet is a Magnaflow #12867(3" in/out, 14" case L., 5" dia., about $99) installed in the I-pipe, it'll do a good job quieting down the exhaust, but maintain a nice tone. You could use a Magnaflow #14419, but it likely won't quiet it down enough. For a aluminized muffler option a Magnaflow #18129(3" in/out, 18" case L., 4" dia., about $49) will work better than the 14419 since the case is 4" longer than the 14419.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 02-22-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why would you not put the cats back on. They will cut the rasp from the exhaust.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redtan
Yup. It's funny how many people do not acknowledge this.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:21 AM

* Sorry did not realize we had to state the obvious in our responses before posting....

I do know that, point simply being that if this person at least cuts down some of the noise which "Putting Cats" back on would/ should cut down on the noise therefore hopefully getting people off their back, or simply return to either a "Legal" stock exhaust manifold or switch to a short header style (Main reason I do not have long tubes on is because of legal reasons, and the extra 10 hp I would get is not worth it). I never said anything about Longtubes being Legal/ illegal. My suggestion pointed simply to not returning to a completely "Stock" conf. Yes, keep the midpipe and and catback exhaust and put cats back on the vehicle... Personally I don't see a reason to have longtubes on unless it is a race designated vehicle... cuts down the hastle for which this person now finds themselves in IMO. Believe me you can still have plenty of fun with shorty headers an X/H/Y pipe and Cat back/ Axl-back exhaust and still be "Legal". (Having a longtube vs. short style header system will not typically make your car that much better for typical street driving.)
Again: (This was in reference to the complaining of noise not the legality of having longtubes on) > pay attention to this statement: "1st thing I would recommend is get within legal limits... which will include getting cats back on the car!"
I however don't really recommend doing that, only as long as you car is "LEGAL" to drive I doubt they could really do anything at all other than complain. 1st thing I would recommend is get within legal limits... which will include getting cats back on the car! (Make sure your legal first... then you will have a better argument against whoever is complaining.)

Last edited by brnmw; 02-27-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by antsls1
I work for the local sheriff's office and i have been having complaints that r reaching the sheriff about my car being too loud. I would like to keep my job so i have to tone it down a little. I have long tube headers, ory i pipe (no cats), and no muffler into a y pipe into cme. I was thinking of putting in a bullet muffler or resonator. Which one sounds the best but under 100a dollars as i am also trying to sell the car but i domt no how long it is goimg to take. Please any advice thanks. And please no smart a$$ comments like put a muffler on it. And i dont want cats back on it either. Thanks in advance guys and gals.
Please some of you reread i do not want cats on my car. thank you for all of you other guys advice guess i will be going with magnaflow
Old 02-27-2013, 04:17 PM

Please some of you reread i do not want cats on my car. thank you for all of you other guys advice guess i will be going with magnaflow
Did not need to re-read it, understood it the 1st time, but you leave yourself with very few viable option IMO. Especially working at a sheriffs office... Good luck.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

antsls1, keep us posted on the final outcome.

Quick Reply: I have to tone down my exhaust cheaply. Any advice