Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Newbie help ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 01:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie help ASAP!

I am looking into buying a low mileage 2002 SS, my question is how can you tell what options there is on the car? I already called SLP and confirmed its a "true SS". The question is the WU8 package that is on the car does not have the performance handling package, power steeting cooler, low restriction dual outlet exhaust, Zexel-Torsen diff. From what they are telling me its basically a Z28 with the hood/spoiler and badges. I have pictures of the exhaust it does not look like a Z28 exhaust but does look stock, how can I tell if the suspension is a stock Z28 or a SS? The shocks are red if that helps. I am paying good money but when the SLP guy told me is a "basic SS" my heart dropped! If someone can help me asap that will be great i have till tomorrow to decide if im getting it. Thanks
Old 02-27-2013, 03:03 AM
Teching In

Just wanted to say thanks for the BIG help!
Old 02-27-2013, 07:29 AM
Teching In

Sounds like a pretty run of the mill SS, maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in, but not all of them had the same option/upgrades from SLP. I would say if you like it, its in good condition and there are no issues with it, go for it! you might regret it later and not have an opportunity to pick up anothe rlow mileage SS, they are getting scarce! Hope that helped some.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:41 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"The question is the WU8 package that is on the car does not have the performance handling package, power steeting cooler, low restriction dual outlet exhaust, Zexel-Torsen diff."

Those parts are what makes the ["base"] SS package (mechanically, that is).

The red shocks/struts you see are the same deCarbon's that are on the Z28, but you have upgraded sway bars as a SS (the "performance handling package" part).

The exhaust you have which you believe appears factory, yet has different tips than a Z28, is the "low restriction dual outlet exhaust" for the standard SS package.

You'll also see a power steering cooler, and if you opened your rear diff cover, you'll see the Zexel-Torsen carrier.

There is nothing wrong with a "base" SS. Any further SS "options" are considered "second-sticker" and technically not a GM option (think of it in the vein that Saleen/Roush is to the Mustang). Those additional items did not have their own RPO codes (just a catch-all "Y2Y" code that allowed people to add them if they desired). You have a SS -- there is nothing "base" about it

Just a word of caution... When calling SLP in the present day, understand that those who worked for "SLP Engineering" -- the company that made the conversion for GM -- are likely not even with "SLP Performance." You're likely just speaking with someone who is unfamiliar with how things worked over a decade ago -- that is, they're just pulling up a spreadsheet or something that lists VIN's and their build numbers. They probably do not know the intricacies. The good thing is there are many of us who obsessed over these cars "back in the day" so we can share what we remember
Old 02-27-2013, 10:50 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,532 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Originally Posted by 808HISS
From what they are telling me its basically a Z28 with the hood/spoiler and badges.
In general, that's all that an LS1 SS actually is.....it's mostly cosmetics. The SS package does not get you any special engine or transmission or anything else that significantly increases horsepower. They started life as Z28s, were sent to SLP for "conversion", and the base SS package consisted of nothing more than a hood, spoiler, 17x9" wheels, 32mm front sway bar, smaller case-size muffler with .25" larger tail pipes, and badging. There is nothing mechanically special about a base SS.

The question is the WU8 package that is on the car does not have the performance handling package, power steeting cooler, low restriction dual outlet exhaust, Zexel-Torsen diff.
If you have an original SS (RPO WU8), then you DO have the base "performance" exhaust (as mentioned above, slightly different muffler with slightly larger tail pipes and different tips), the "performance handling package" which consists of the larger 32mm front sway bar and 17x9" wheels with 275/40 tires, the power steering cooler which was covered under RPO V12 and included on all SS cars (also standard on Z28s by your model year), and the Torsen differential which was standard on all V8 4th gens starting in '99.

I am paying good money but when the SLP guy told me is a "basic SS" my heart dropped! If someone can help me asap that will be great i have till tomorrow to decide if im getting it. Thanks
Yes, it sounds like this is a base SS without additional options. But unless you are specifically looking for an ultra low mileage highly optioned SS to use as a collector car, then who cares? The only SLP options that would make any noticeable difference in performance over a base '02 SS (or even Z28 for that matter) would be the "345hp" package (dual/dual catback and Blackwing air lid) and/or the Bilstein suspension upgrade. And you can add an aftermarket air lid/catback to any SS (as well as shocks/other suspension upgrades) to acheive the same performance as an SS that came with these upgrades from SLP.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 02-27-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:42 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Just wanted to say thanks for the BIG help!
You're welcome.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:46 AM
Teching In

Thank-you very much for the help and infomation I needed. I was looking for over 2 years for a automatic stock untouched SS with low miles and finally found it!
Old 03-02-2013, 03:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by demonspeed
[I]
Just a word of caution... When calling SLP in the present day, understand that those who worked for "SLP Engineering" -- the company that made the conversion for GM -- are likely not even with "SLP Performance." You're likely just speaking with someone who is unfamiliar with how things worked over a decade ago -- that is, they're just pulling up a spreadsheet or something that lists VIN's and their build numbers. They probably do not know the intricacies. The good thing is there are many of us who obsessed over these cars "back in the day" so we can share what we remember
Funny how you had mentioned this which sounds so true. I called them and they basically told me it's a "base model" SS which has nothing less than the SS hood/spoiler and badges. I knew from a while back the SS does have bigger sway bars and a different exhaust and really think its not a base model SS.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:53 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Funny how you had mentioned this which sounds so true. I called them and they basically told me it's a "base model" SS which has nothing less than the SS hood/spoiler and badges. I knew from a while back the SS does have bigger sway bars and a different exhaust and really think its not a base model SS.
It's only one bigger sway bar that's part of the base SS package (front - 32mm bar borrowed from the 1LE package, but the rear bar is the same 19mm as a Z28).

Like I said above, it's true that the base SS package does consist of several small items (or otherwise optional items that are manditory for SS), but the slightly different muffler and slightly larger sway bar account for only a marginal difference at best. The only significant differences of the base package are the visual appearace of the hood/spoiler and the handling improvement of the 17x9 wheels and 275/40 tires.

If you gave SLP your VIN, and they told you that you have no additional options above the base WU8 SS package, then it would in fact be a "base model" SS. This does not surprise me at all, since most of them came with only the base options or with minor add-ons like key fobs, floor mats and dash plaques.

Thank-you very much for the help and infomation I needed. I was looking for over 2 years for a automatic stock untouched SS with low miles and finally found it!
I realize how hard it is to find one that's a low mileage, super nice automatic car. I too prefer the auto, and I've found that people tend to drive the autos a whole lot more, resulting in far fewer low mileage, nice condition examples left at this point. On top of that, trying to find one with all the other options you want makes it even more difficult.

Sounds like you found a nice car! I would MUCH rather have a super nice, low mileage base SS than to have a high mileage, average condition SS with a bunch of SLP options.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:15 PM
Teching In

RPM WS6

Thanks for the info and help!

Question on the air lid, is it true the blackwing air lid much better than the SLP lid? Would you know where i can get a deal on one?
Old 03-02-2013, 12:40 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

RPM WS6

Thanks for the info and help!

Question on the air lid, is it true the blackwing air lid much better than the SLP lid? Would you know where i can get a deal on one?
Glad to help.

The Blackwing lid is superior only in terms of construction quality/fitment, as it was designed to be issued as an OEM part. In terms of power gains though, it is no better than the cheaper, common aftermarket lids such as the SLP.

As far as a "good deal", there really isn't any good deal to be had on these. People often want $300-400 for a Blackwing. But if you are trying to duplicate the exact look of an original "345hp" package SS, then I guess you would have no choice but to pay the price for a used Blackwing, since you can't buy them new. Other than that, you would be leaving nothing on the table by going with an aftermarket SLP lid for a fraction of the price.

Quick Reply: Newbie help ASAP!