Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Newbie thread: Me learning and tuning/performing maintenance on my Firebird TA

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie thread: Me learning and tuning/performing maintenance on my Firebird TA

Hey all, new member. A little bit about myself.

I have come into the world of performing maintenance and work on cars now due to my love for my 98 Firebird Trans Am. It was my dream car when I was a kid, and my brother had one as well. Now I have it, but I have very limited knowledge on the actual maintenance of vehicles.

My bird is at just over 100k miles. The previous owner seemed to take decent care of it, but I want to make it glorious. There is some damage minor to the body (someones car door hit the passenger side, dents on rear left quarter panel, minor scratches/paint chips). Some interior damager (dash cracked, seat tearing).

I've been using it to learn, but it also is due for general maintenance. I've done a lot of reading and will continue to outside this thread. I have the service manuals as well. If you can provide and guidance or resources, insider tips, etc, I would appreciate it.

I've come up with quite a list of chores from other threads with notes and questions:
No wheel lug nut key- locks are stuck on wheel. Looking at a socket wrench set and a Sears Lug Off kit.

Filters: Air (Clean or replace? Covered in service manual)
Fuel (Question: Suggestion on brand of oil filter?)

Fluids:
Oil (Oil, Filter) - Going to use Mobil 1 Full Synth SAE 10W-30, or should I opt for something else? (No tutorial needed, drain, replace filter and fill)
Rear end differential (Question: What do I need to do for this?)
Brake
Flush cooling system + new Antifreeze
Transmission (new fluid/filter) Question: Synthetic Dexron 6? Any links to tutorials?

Saw these miscellanious things to do in another thread:
Lube front end (?)
check ball joints (?)
tie rod ends (?)
struts (?)
springs (?)
bushings (?)

Brake check: For leakage and signs of sticking
Pads, Rotors, Calipers

Light bulbs (left turn signal continues burning out, will check socket/entire fixture)

Check back of engine for rear intake leak, and front/back (Question: Does this apply to LS1? I have only found this as a problem for LT1)

Remove Water pump and replace opti (check for oil and gunk) cap and rotor (Question: Is this necessary on 98 FB, as I have only found resources for the 97 and older models?)

Wiper blades

Headlight fix (temp fix + brass later) - Making the dreaded noise. Question: the manual turning is NOT working, it just spins in either direction. I think an arm isn't catching. I will have to investiage further.

Clean MAF

New Shocks (car is squeaking) Second link: What to buy
Spark Plugs (100k scheduled tune up)

Wash+Wax
Passenger Door Grinding (will provide video later)

Question:
Should I SeaFoam the car? Should I clean any other systems? What should I use?

Later mods:
Android Tablet with Torque App with OBD 2 bluetooth dongle as head unit.
Push to start
Security System/key fob
New paint job after fixing body issues.
Tasteful light mods (glowing firebird emblem, etc)
etc

Additional Resource

Wish me luck! I will continue to edit, and through my busy life I will slowly knack at these.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:28 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 97 and older cars have the LT1 motor, your car has the LS1 which is different. For instance the optispark is not on the ls1
Old 03-02-2013, 07:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well seems to me like you have the tipical flaws that a Trans Am would have at those miles. Such as torn seat, cracked dash etc etc. Mobil 1 Synthetic is good enough for you, replace the shocks with some new ones, maybe also springs depending on how bad they are. Fix the headlights by replacing factory motor gear with a brass one, it worked wonderfull for me.
New spark plugs, check for a exhaust leak as well. Theres a lot of things you can do but the suspension and checking the motor for any fails would be my first steps overall.

Quick Reply: Newbie thread: Me learning and tuning/performing maintenance on my Firebird TA