Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni/Strano Install Video

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Koni/Strano Install (Video No Longer Available) :(

[When Streetfire.net went down recently, it took my install video down with it. It is no longer available, sorry about that guys. I will leave the thread up as it may contain information useful to someone.]

Good Morning! Finally got moved into our new house and had a garage to install my Koni 4/4's and Strano Springs. The install went very well, I did it by myself. The rear took about two hours and the front took about two hours as well, (a little over 1 hour for each side in the front).

I had never done suspension work before and this install was pretty simple. I was amazed at how simple our suspension works. I used the write up on ls1howto.com and it guided me perfectly. The main reason for posting this up is because I haven't seen someone post up a video before that shows highlights of a Shock/Spring install and I thought it would shed some light on the install for people who have never done something like this or ever thought about doing the install themselves. There are sooo many people on here asking how much it is to have a shop install springs and shocks because they are afraid they can't do it themselves.

You can do it! I'm a complete Noobie and I thought I rocked this install. Anywho, without further ado, the install...

P.S. I'd like to personally thank Sam Strano for great customer service. I'd also like to thank everyone on this site who have helped me along the way. God Bless...

Last edited by TheBlueKnight; 12-22-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:39 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It didn't show you using the rear spring isolator or hose mod. Did you put the rear springs right up against the metal on top of the springs? I would hate to hear what that sounds like or see what the metal to metal contact damages.

Don't ever work on your car when it is only supported by the floor jack, like you did with the fronts. I had a friend that learned the hard way. keyword "had". no joking.

Last edited by pjb; 06-10-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pjb
It didn't show you using the rear spring isolator or hose mod. Did you put the rear springs right up against the metal on top of the springs? I would hate to hear what that sounds like or see what the metal to metal contact damages.

Don't ever work on your car when it is only supported by the floor jack, like you did with the fronts. I had a friend that learned the hard way. keyword "had". no joking.
I didn't do the hose mod which is what lowers the car more, right?. As for the rear spring isolator, I thought that was weird that the spring was just right against the metal like that, is there supposed to be a rubber piece there? I don't remember there being a rubber peice there when I took off the stock spring and I don't have any hardware left over? If so I need to throw the rear up again and install that rubber peice. I've only driven the car a mile since the install and I haven't heard any noises?

EDIT* Wait a minute, do you mean the top of the spring where it is against the body? Or the bottom that is against the rear axle? I thought you meant the bottom of the spring that touches the rear axle. The big rubber pieces that go on top of the spring are up there. They were stuck to the body up there and never came off. I was wondering if their should be a rubber piece seperating the spring from where it touches the axle though on the bottom?

As for only using the floor jack. I did use them for the rear and for the other front side. In the video I didn't use a jack stand for that one side and my wife came in and reminded me to use the jack stand so I did use it for the other side. You're right though, ALWAYS USE JACK STANDS!

Last edited by TheBlueKnight; 06-10-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:02 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

yes, you should have the spring isolator, or at least the hose mod. since you have neither the hose mod will not lower it any more, and should lift it just a hair. But it will prevent the metal to metal contact. you need to go back and fix that.

BTW - you have a smart wife!
Old 06-10-2009, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There's no isolator on the bottom of the rear springs at the axle. The first time I had my rear springs out, the isolators were stuck up there too, which makes reinstallation a snap, lol.

Nice video, thanks for making it. I wasn't sure what all was involved in doing the fronts.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pjb
yes, you should have the spring isolator, or at least the hose mod. since you have neither the hose mod will not lower it any more, and should lift it just a hair. But it will prevent the metal to metal contact. you need to go back and fix that.

BTW - you have a smart wife!
Thanks for the info man, you're awesome! I'm glad I posted this vid or I would have never done the heater hose mod!

*EDIT* Just talked to Sam, you don't need to put rubber between the bottom of the spring and where it contacts the rear axle. Stock, there isn't anything there, its just the spring against the axle. So thankfully I don't need to go back in, everything is good.

Last edited by TheBlueKnight; 06-10-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:38 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Great video... But a few details you might want to address (and I've not seen the whole thing yet).

To disconnect the upper ball joint, you don't want to use the hammer on the ball joint stud. Just hit the suspension upright on the side (where the ball joint comes through) and it'll pop apart, and not screw up the ball joint.

Also, the upper control arm can be removed (just slides off) when you get the shock out of the car. No need to keep it in place, it just slips over the upper mount and can be put back on right when you install the shock back in the car.

And finally (or maybe not, actually before). If you take the master completely off the booster (but don't loosen the lines) that one Torx head bolt is a lot easier to get to. What I do is take the 2 13mm nuts off the ABS pump so it, the hard lines, and the Master can swing a little out of the way and I can use a normal ratchet and T50 to get right to that one PITA Torx head.

Aside from that, that's a hell of a job on the video TheBlueKnight regarding the R&R of shocks and springs (there are Koni details like the adjustment and orientation of the adjuster) that are not covered here but I go over with my customers by phone. I can tell you that I'll be referring folks to this video as a guide to help them see how it works in addition to my detailed over the phone instructions.

Again, nice job....

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Banned Village Idiot

nice vid man thanx for posting it!!!
Old 06-10-2009, 12:36 PM
11 Second Club

nice video man.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Guys, the install was actually quite fun! Only thing that happened was one of the Lugs stripped and broke off. I had previously taken it to GoodYear to get my brakes done and I'm guessing one of the techs put the lug on a bit by finger but it was a bit off and when he hit it with the air ratchet it went on but screwed up the threads. Hence I couldn't get it off and it broke. I took it back to Good year after I did the install and they threw it up on the lift and fixed it for free for me!
Old 06-10-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good video! I thought it was gonna be a lot harder to do the fronts.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by riceburnerZ28
Good video! I thought it was gonna be a lot harder to do the fronts.
From what everyone said I thought it was gonna be this big nightmare too, but it was freakin cake man. Only thing that was kinda weird was after I wanted to take the spring compressor off of the springs it wouldn't come off by itself. I loosened the nut and the clamps were binding so I just backed the nut off about an inch, tapped it with a hammer and it would back off. Then I'd do that the same way on the other side and kept backing off each side alternately until it finally quite binding and released.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice job! Excellent Vid. I'm using this for my install. Thanx
Old 06-10-2009, 03:38 PM
TECH Resident

Great video. Where did you say you got those spring compressors? Kragen? I'm guessing that is an auto parts store?

EDIT:
http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductD...egoryCode=3492

This looks like what you used. How did you like it?

Last edited by JamRWS6; 06-10-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
Great video. Where did you say you got those spring compressors? Kragen? I'm guessing that is an auto parts store?

EDIT:
http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductD...egoryCode=3492

This looks like what you used. How did you like it?
Thats the exact one, $39.99 It was a good tool, I'd use it again
Old 06-10-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Cool, I like the added safety of those rings around the coil.

Thanks again for the video!
Old 06-10-2009, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

Great video!
Old 06-11-2009, 10:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great video I'll be using it in the future. I say make this a sticky.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Danny2tek
Great video I'll be using it in the future. I say make this a sticky.
I second that. It really helps since Konis come with shitty instructions.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight

Nice vid!
When i did my install last month, i took both fronts out, brought them to a local garage to take the springs off and put them on the Koni's.....$25.00.
Another little trick is to make sure you mark the location of your rear springs on the axle when removing them, may avoid different heights on rear end.

Quick Reply: Koni/Strano Install Video