Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 4l60E, 130k miles, blowing fluid from dipstick, slipping some.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 94 4l60E, 130k miles, blowing fluid from dipstick, slipping some.

Hello from the Midwest.. First post.. I bought my project "Stealth Bomber" 1994 Black Formula Firebird yesterday for the measly sum of $1200.. She is stock except for a cheap eBay CAI, & a mandrel bent 3" Y back Edelbrock exhaust system.. Also has a nice set of 16" American Racing Torque Thrust II wheels.. 135k miles is not really alot considering she will be 20 years old next year.. Thats less then 7k a year. Anyway on to my subject.. My 4l60e was slipping under wot & would pull like a retarded mule from a stand still up to about 5500 - 5800 RPM.. It gets to the shift point and just stops pulling and free revs to the stratosphere. When I let off the throttle and let the rpms drop down around 3500 then drive " normal " it will go into the next gear.. Now I'm starting to notice that its slipping before wot just at like half throttle runs.. Shifts slow and weak.. Also noticed that the fluid is ending up on the passenger side valve cover under the tranny fluid tube, seems to be blowing out not just leaking.. Whats up with that? I assume I'm going to have to drop a grand into a new performance upgraded 4l60e and would like to run a 3000 stall. Should I try a fluid and filter change first or am I just dreaming? Thoughts and suggestions please.. Thanks Joe Hodges.. Washington Indiana 47501
Old 03-10-2013, 09:39 PM

Received 390 Likes on 299 Posts

If the fluid level is right (check with engine running) but it is blowing fluid from the dipstick, that sounds like the fluid is seriously overheating. (And that the vent on top of the trans is blocked.) Does this happen only with hard driving or also easy driving?

Is is slipping in all gears or just in 3rd? Slipping in 3rd is the most common problem with the 4L60E - 3-4 clutch is worn out.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:38 AM

Its pulls good in1st but feels like its slipping when it up shifts into any gear.. Once its in that gear it seems to pull ok until the high rpm shift point area.. The only time I notice the fluid is when I've been running it hard. Half the people I know that are not into "performance" probably would never realize it was slipping.. Because if you drive like my dead granny it does pretty well.. Shifts like a soft sponge.. Lol
Old 03-11-2013, 08:38 AM

A slipping converter would really heat up the trans fluid and start blowing it out.
And feel similar in every gear.
But I know -nuthin- about converters.
Do any of the converter experts think this is possible?
Old 03-11-2013, 02:06 PM

Heat does seem to affect it, feels best when I first start her up and go.. When it warms up it really feels weak & spongy.. So what should I do? Dont want some local jack leg tranny shop trying to sell me on crap I don't want or may not really need. Anyone on the forum in my area (Indy, Louisville ky, Southern Indiana, western ky, eastern Illinois & such) do good 4L60E work/diagnosing? What can I do myself to try to make a diagnosis? Thanks... Joe
Old 03-11-2013, 02:44 PM

Vendor RPM is in Indiana:
RPM Transmissions 1426 West 53rd Street, Anderson, IN

Vendor Finishline Transmission FLT is in Illinois:
801 N Central Ave Wood Dale, IL

Hopefully someone else will chime in because I am not confident of my comments about a possible converter problem.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:49 PM

Well dang.. Emailed them at RPM and either there too busy to mess with me or Im just not important enough.. I don't know what to do next..
Old 03-12-2013, 05:05 PM

I would try calling them. I know that some very good auto shops and mechanics are terrible replying to emails.

Quick Reply: 94 4l60E, 130k miles, blowing fluid from dipstick, slipping some.