Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Need to replace the suspension, quick question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need to replace the suspension, quick question

So as the title says my shocks are shot and i need to order something pretty soon. Im comparing b/w the D2 and the KW's. I like the fact that the D2's are full coilovers but from what i have been reading the KW's are a better product and its price reflects that.

I have been on tracks with both stock and with H&R springs and I honestly miss the feel and control actual coilovers give you ( it could be my shocks slowly going on me).

I have just three quick questions before I make my purchase.

1) Those who track their vehicles what suspension are you using? ( This is only for those with coilovers to answer).
2) If you use D2's and tracked them before what are your thoughts on them. I have read people used different springs with them.
3) Where is the best place to buy a set of D2's or KW's for the best price. I already see that ebay is where people buy the D2's

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

i was reading this thread about thr d2's

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...coilovers.html
Old 03-14-2013, 06:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been a while since I bought mine but I love my KW's. I run auto x when I can and they're great. If you've got the money LG motorsports coilovers are a true four corner coilover. Kw's will kick your *** for street driving and if you set them low enough you will need to roll fenders.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:03 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
So as the title says my shocks are shot and i need to order something pretty soon. Im comparing b/w the D2 and the KW's. I like the fact that the D2's are full coilovers but from what i have been reading the KW's are a better product and its price reflects that.

I have been on tracks with both stock and with H&R springs and I honestly miss the feel and control actual coilovers give you ( it could be my shocks slowly going on me).

I have just three quick questions before I make my purchase.

1) Those who track their vehicles what suspension are you using? ( This is only for those with coilovers to answer).
2) If you use D2's and tracked them before what are your thoughts on them. I have read people used different springs with them.
3) Where is the best place to buy a set of D2's or KW's for the best price. I already see that ebay is where people buy the D2's

Thanks for the help.
1.) I track my car several times a year and am running the d2 coilovers.
2.) They worked great except you will want stiffer springs (i'm not running 600/650)
3.) d2s can be bought on ebay for $900.

4.) D2s are not true coilovers. they are the same as KWs
Old 03-14-2013, 09:12 AM
FoD
On The Tree

How's the ride on the street with the stock springs that come with the D2's?
Old 03-14-2013, 09:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FoD
How's the ride on the street with the stock springs that come with the D2's?
The ride is fine but they will cause rubbing in the rear if you are too low and do not have rolled fenders. stock D2s are 550/550
Old 03-14-2013, 10:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Have the KW's got them from under 2k watching deals at various speed shops that sell online about a year ago. There is a lot of adjustment in these shocks. I keep ride height around 1/4"-1/2" lower than stock about as high as you can run this setup and have the shocks a bit softer than the default settings for both rebound and bounce. Its easy to adjust everything and it has been a solid setup. I installed a stiffer rear spring that what the kit came with to get the ride height where I wanted.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I installed D2s on a friends V... I think it rides pretty good... and FYI they are not full coilovers... the rear setup isolates the spring and shock... and they can go pretty damn low too
Old 03-14-2013, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Set the D2s up as a true coilover with this calc.. im sure you can handle it will. glad to see you still have the V now that your out in cali

http://www.crawlpedia.com/spring_rate_calculator.htm
Old 03-15-2013, 01:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I plan on keeping the V for a while longer.

If people havent really put miles on the d2's with the rear as a true coilover im not going to do it.

I looked into trying to get the LG setup but no one has gotten back to my email.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

So i am trying to think what i want to do.

1) get the d2 coilovers and keep her on the street, and maybe get ready to get rid of the car.
2) Get KW and do some street/track work most likely keep the car but who knows.
3) Get Lg's and do the same as #2 and most defenitly keep the car for a long while.

all three options seems to be 1k apart from each other. i just need to see what i want to do car wise.

Quick Reply: Need to replace the suspension, quick question