Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issue after stall converter install

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 04:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue after stall converter install

I had a question hopefully you can help, I installed a Performabuilt Level 2 transmission and a 3200 stall converter, After the install when i drive the car it seems to bog down when i accelerate and surges off and on, A friend on European Fbody said it may need a tune because of the stall converter.

I am stationed in Germany and do not have access to a scanner or a shop. In your opinion do you think the PCM needs to be tuned.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, you should get a tune after installing a converter to adjust shift points and what not.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty sure you are going to need torque management deleted. Thats what my car needed.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:53 AM
Staging Lane

In your opinion, do you think that is the problem, I am thinking it has to be, i never had any issues until after the install.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:24 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

You really cannot get access to a scanner in Germany?
Any German scanner should work just fine and display the correct code numbers.

The most common problems after installing a higher stall are hitting the rev limiter on WOT shifts, lockup problems, code 1870 and codes for engine misfire.

I'm certainly not an expert, barely an amateur on diagnosing engine problems, but the bog sounds like a TPS problem. Nobody touched the throttle body when the converter was installed? Other engine codes could cause a bog too.

I assume the speedometer is working correctly? A properly working VSS is very important to driveability.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my experience you could just be feeling the stall. If youre running around at part throttle, even on the highway, without the stall being commanded to lock its hard to control your speed and it definitely doesnt feel stock. I think most peoples tunes command lockup above a certain rpm if throttle percentage is below about 30%.

I had a mail order tune that never commanded lockup and it felt similar to what you have described. It was particularly noticable on steep hills in my neighborhood. Not saying thats it, but could be especially if, like me, youre not that familiar with a stalled auto.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by joesal68
In your opinion, do you think that is the problem, I am thinking it has to be, i never had any issues until after the install.
yes, I had the exact same issue after the converter install. does it work fine with part throttle but feels like its reducing engine power at anything over half throttle?
Old 03-20-2013, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

yes, Half throttle is fine but, when i accelerate it bogs then surges..like its trying to find the right gear. I think ill send for a frost tune
Old 03-21-2013, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

yep, sounds just like my car. have him delete torque management for you and the issue should go away.

Quick Reply: Issue after stall converter install