Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me build my car

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me build my car

I will start by saying that i have searched and searched on here. What i gathered is every one has an opinion on every thing. Given that some of the post are very old and the amount of new products and sponsors i would like up to date info or opinions.

I have a 2000 M6 Z28, LTs, 3" exhaust, Adj LCAs. The rest of the car is stock with 160k on the clock. The car runs and drives fine. But it does feel tired.

I am wanting to build a street car. Not looking for huge hp or 1/4 king.

I know the weakest link is the rear end. I am ordering a rear end and DS from Carl at Cpr, very nice guy.

My question is what next? I want to swap or rebuild everything in a sense. Brakes, suspension, tranny and motor.

I constantly read, if i were to do it over, or i should/wish i had gone with xyz. Trying to stay away from that as much as i can.

There are supporting mods i am leaving out, that is because i dont know if i need them or not.

The end goal with the car is a nice street car. The magic number seems to be 500 rwhp. If i can get close to that then fine if not i will be ok with that. I would like a nasty cam thump and the ability to snap a neck or two but not looking for a 9 sec street car.

I would like to build the car and or supporting mods to hold 500/600 hp incase i decide to go bigger later.

The total dollar amount doesnt matter to me as much as safety and reliability. 500 hp isnt worth it if i cant stop or put the power to the ground. I dont want to break something every time i beat on the car. I know anything can break at any time. Just trying to get as strong of a build as i can.

I want to work from the bottom up. Since the car runs good i want to start with rear end, brakes and suspension. Then the motor then the tranny.

Looking for the advice or opinion of the guys that have done it before.

It is not my dd but i do beat the crap out of it when i drive it. It doesnt see much traffic so perfect street manners or cam surge isnt a big deal to me but i would like to keep the power down low being that it is a street car.

The more and more i search or research what i want i change my mind.

What do you guys have? What are you running? What would you change? What was over kill or wasnt enough?

Any and all help is appreciated

And Flame/bash on, i have thick skin
Old 03-18-2013, 01:08 PM
Teching In

I guess i could narrow it down some.

I have 10k to spend on motor, tranny, suspension and brakes. I can save up more if i need to but this should be a good starting point

What would you do? Where should i start?

And GO
Old 03-18-2013, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you already said it. Start from the ground/rear and work your way forward. Buy a solid rear end as the stock 10 bolt is notorious for breaking. Look at upgrading the transmission for someone like Tick Performance and then use the left over for finishing suspension and then do the motor.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Start with suspension and the rear end. Planning on nitrous? Boost? Im asking since your goals are 500-600.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Was thinking TVS or procharger. Havent decided which one yet. Havent even decided what motor build to start with.

I was thinking of building a motor that can handle boost but to run it N/A for a while. Is that a bad idea? I know if i build a boost motor it will be down on power without the boost. Or should the motor be broken in with the charger set up?

Not even 100% sold on a supercharger. Maybe a turbo set up. I change my mind on a daily basis haha
Old 03-18-2013, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

FI is nice. not cheap and youll need to build everything else to handle it as you know already.

id advise getting a forged motor for boost because youll want more later.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:48 PM
Teching In

once you have boost any car you ride without boost even if its faster than your boosted car you wont like it..trust me lol

ur right though you would want a lower compression engine if you boost the car and building the engine and not boosting it you will be let down until you can afford/decide to turbo the car.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

I'm on the middle of similar situation. I am building an iron 408 as my daily drive, but also built to handle the spray. The first route I took on the car was the suspension, not just because its worn out but because what good is the new found power if you can't control it or but it to the ground. Yes, everyone says the rear ends are weak, but unless you have sticky tire or are at the track I wouldn't worry about it until you have the motor figured out. I would invest majority of the money in the power train because build a motor requires a lot of expensive components that you generally have to buy at 1 time, where other components of the car can be added a little at the time. What might wind up happening is you don't budget for the motor and you spend too much on the suspension and have a weak power train. I would go with forged internals no matter what. Don't be afraid to go NA first cause if you wanna boost later you can always grab some new heads with bigger chambers and change the tune. Hope this helps.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:29 PM

Boosted motors are more streetable with big horsepower gains. However, I personally enjoy a nasty NA build. Boosting is great but being big power NA is more of an art. Remember, once you get into the 500+ range you will need a fuel system to meet those demands. 10K will go very quick with this if you don't spend time doing homework and shopping around for deals. I would go brakes first. No point in going fast if you can't stop.

Quick Reply: Help me build my car